Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Power Sofa and TV’s not working on 2021 Classic

Bear with me, this is my first ever post. This is our first long trip in our new 2021 Classic 30 from Texas to Virginia. All was working fine last night at our stop in Nashville but now in Blountville, TN the power sofa, the USB’s between the sofa’s recline switches and both front are rear TVs are not functioning. Assume something worked loose on I40 today. All circuits breakers look good. Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks,
Jim
Chuga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:15 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Bummer. Each model seems to be wired a little different, but...On our '17 30' Inter, we kept tripping the GFCI circuit on a trip last month. On our model, that meant outlet, except the 2 in the bedroom. So TV and even the refer wouldn't work.

I suspected a loose wire so started pulling outlets to check. Turns out AS uses a special outlet that the wires are clamped into. Seemed pretty secure even though we had bounced along bad parts of I5 and 210.

Mine was a bad GFCI breaker. Replaced that and it's been fine.

Double check the breakers and see if the labeling tells you what outlets are on which breaker, it should. If it looks like the problem outlets are on the same circuit try shutting it all the way off and then back on.

If it appears that there are other outlets on the same circuit and some are still working, then it could be a lose wire in one of the outlets. In other words, power is getting from the circuit breaker to some of the outlets, but is getting interrupted on it's way to the rest of the outlets.
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
According to the manual Circuit 7 is a 15 amp circuit that controls multiple devices like the sofa, TVs and blue ray. Appears everything on this circuit is dead. Breaker acts normal. I’ll call Airstream Tech Support in the morning and see what they have to say.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-10-2021, 04:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Are you plugged into shore power? The sofa is not a DC voltage device. I assume that is why you are checking breakers.

If you pull the top of the sofa up (the vent for the heat towards the back center) you will see where it is plugged into an AC outlet. If it is like mine, it has one plug for the left side and one plug for the right. Forget about the USB ports as they are constantly winking out and they are not fast chargers anyway. The circuitry for them is accessible when you pull the covers off the left and right arms. I've fixed mine a dozen times and Jackson center has fixed the right one twice.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuga27 View Post
According to the manual Circuit 7 is a 15 amp circuit that controls multiple devices like the sofa, TVs and blue ray. Appears everything on this circuit is dead. Breaker acts normal. I’ll call Airstream Tech Support in the morning and see what they have to say.

Thanks,
Jim
Good advice so far, good luck. Assuming you are on shore power, are all the other 120-volt and 12-volt DC functions good? If you are not on shore power please advise.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:50 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Yes, plugged into shore power and yes have checked the plug behind the sofa which I found secure. All the electrical outlets controlled by Circuit 7 are dead which includes both front and rear TVs. We’ll see what AS tech service has to say but at least my problem isn’t devastating, just frustrating. I can alway run an extension cord to a working plug to power the TV temporary until this gets all sorted out. If tech support can’t advise a quick fix then I have a Plan B. We’ll be passing by Ashland, VA in a couple of days where there’s an AS dealer. Can always stop in and let their techies check it out. Just a bit disappointed when we pay what we do for these expensive trailers to have a nagging problem like this happen right out of the gate. Thanks for your responses...

Jim
Old 05-10-2021, 06:54 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
And yes, all the other 110v and 12v outlets p/devices are functioning normally..
Old 05-10-2021, 06:56 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
devices and not p/devices. Had an iPad finger fumble....
Old 05-10-2021, 09:52 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The common element between those outlets is that they all are inverter outlets. There is a circuit from the breakers that goes to the inverter. Inside the inverter it hits a relay. That relay decides if the load gets power from the inverter or the shore power. Either way the output of that relay goes through a breaker or fuse on the inverter before it heads off to the outlets.

One would guess that the issue is most likely the inverter not switching to shore power properly (unlikely) or the fuse / breaker on the inverter being blown / tripped (more likely).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Good guidance Bob.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:16 PM   #11
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuga27 View Post
Bear with me, this is my first ever post. This is our first long trip in our new 2021 Classic 30 from Texas to Virginia. All was working fine last night at our stop in Nashville but now in Blountville, TN the power sofa, the USB’s between the sofa’s recline switches and both front are rear TVs are not functioning. Assume something worked loose on I40 today. All circuits breakers look good. Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Chuga27,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 05-10-2021, 03:43 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
James Island , South Carolina
Uncle Bob is right. All power for the mentioned items go through the inverter. Try turning on the inverter and see if problem goes away. Just another item to eliminate.

Lou
Old 05-10-2021, 06:44 PM   #13
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Sorry for the all the bother you are going through with your fabulous new home. I do hope it gets sorted for you quickly. As an Airstreamer of many years I would recommend minimising the electronic gadgets and opting for mechanical whenever possible, this way you limit the hassles to the mechanical portions without adding in a layer of electronic things to go wrong, or drain your batteries.

This is just for folks looking at new rigs or thinking of upgrading from an existing one the simpler things are the less to go wrong and the easier to fix in the field.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:26 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Gents, thanks for all your responses. Yesterday before starting my post I pulled the drawer below the microwave to get to the inverter. I attempted to reset it but that didn’t work. I spoke to Cory in tech support this morning. He didn’t offer much more from what I had already done other than to check the terminal fuses on the batteries. I have no way to check them other than visual and they look good. We’re at a campground in Natural Bridge, VA heading from here to Fredericksburg, VA Thursday morning. We’ll pass right by the Airstream dealer in Ashland, VA in route so I spoke to them today where they said to stop by and they’d have one of there techies take a look to see what he can find. Hoping it’s something quick and simple.

I now have an entry step failure. The right side step pin that holds the step in position when it’s deployed is missing so it must have backed out during our 200 mile journey to Natural Bridge today. So the quality gremlins continue to bite us on our new Classic. Not to bore you guys to death, here’s what we’ve dealt with since day one of delivery:

1. Missing 1/2 of sink cover at delivery. The dealer (Camper Clinic II, Buda, Tx) had to order a new one which arrived just before our departure.
2. Rear driver’s side corner window shade torn at delivery. Replacement shade on order.
3. Front a/c temp sensor reading 8-10 degrees higher than rear a/c sensor causing front a/c to run continuous when on auto. Returned our new Classic to the dealer, they kept the trailer one week, called to say it was ready, I go to pick it up and nothing had been done. When asked why I was told it was ready when it wasn’t, I was informed they were waiting on warranty approval from Airstream because the fix required them to order a new sensor and then pull the fridge to replace it. Lead time on the part was another 2-3 weeks. Frustrated and upset with the dealer, I took my trailer home to prepare it for the trip we’re on now. In the meantime I found a post where others had experienced the same a/c temp sensor problem with the fix being to seal off the hole through the trim behind the sensor cover to keep heat from the fridge from causing the false sensor reading. A 10 minute fix and I’m in business, problem solved. Now why didn’t the dealer know about this simple fix?
4. Electrical problem that started this post
5. Step failure that occurred today
6. Vent hood above stove is drooping at the front left corner. The screw that secures that corner of the hood is missing. Appears that particular screw was never installed so I’m off to Lowe’s in the morning to buy an assortment of screws to carry in the trailer just in case..

So I’ll close by saying is it normal to have so many quality issues on a 6 figure Airstream? Sorry for my diatribe, I just needed to vent....

Jim
Old 05-11-2021, 12:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update, good luck today.

Sad to say, Airstream's quality control seems to be continuing on its years-long downhill slide IMO.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:50 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the update, good luck today.

Sad to say, Airstream's quality control seems to be continuing on its years-long downhill slide IMO.

Hi

.... errr.... I grew up listening to Airstream quality problem stories. They were from back in the 1950's. Indeed my young mind didn't capture every detail. Based on the emotion expressed, they were every bit as much of an issue back then.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote