Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
ASHEVILLE , NC
Power Plug Mystery

I have a 2011 Flying Cloud that has two 30 amp service plugs. One is located on the side and the other is located on the front of the trailer. Last week I had backed into the parking slot and attached the power cord to the pedestal and then to the plug on the side. That night there was a storm and then FLASH! then BOOM! And the power went out. I went outside to look at the power cord and there must have been a sizable surge in that the plug at the pedestal was blackened and showed signs of arcing. Fortunately I had a spare 30 amp plug and was able to replace the damaged one with a new one. Wen I plugged in the cord nothing happened, no power. The little blue light at the plug on the trailer stayed unlit. Bummer. Then my wife suggested that I plug it into the plug at the front of the trailer. Which I did. And lo-and-behold, the little blue light came on and the trailer powered up. This morning I replaced the side plug with a new one. When I plugged in the power cord the little blue light came on, but the trailer didn't power up. Any thoughts or suggestions?
mosbymorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I'm not confident in the answer I'm about to give so take with a huge chunk of salt.

On my 2012, I was told the front one is primarily for your generator. If that's true, I'm wondering if there's some non-12 volt fuses/wiring that may have been damaged?

Did you check all the breakers? If any are tripped, you need to flip them totally to the off position before flipping them back on

Again - big grain on salt.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...cle-98059.html
Old 05-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
X2

Most likely the transfer switch.
Second outlet...good idea, TS that won't handle the load...not so much.

Bob
Old 05-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
ASHEVILLE , NC
Ok, I've read a lot of these threads concerning the transfer switch and the attending problems. It sounds like this is my problem. I'm going to have to bring the beast in for a qualified person to check that possibility out. My skills aren't that good. But, my next question is "What does a transfer switch do, and given all the problems, why would Airstream use a product that appears to be somewhat lower in quality?"
mosbymorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Well it seems that in your case the transfer switch acted as a surge suppressor and saved damage to other parts of your trailer.

The automatic transfer switch is to make sure power only comes in from 1 plug and doesn't back-feed to and destroy your generator and/or destroy your trailer/electrical equipment.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
2 power plugs on the trailer? Mine ain't got that. I assumed that if I were to use a generator I would use the same shore cord I use anytime...
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote