Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2004, 03:19 PM   #1

Power Jack Problems

The power jack on our 1989 29 Excella only works if connected to a vehicle, never when hooked to shore power. Any ideas?
Daniel Conroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
dan

welcome to the forum!

do you have a battery installed in the trailer? i believe the jack is powered by the break away circuit. it may not work unless there is a battery present, and in good working order.

john
Old 04-15-2004, 05:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Daniel, this is a strange fault. I will assume your wiring is similar to my 1988 Excella 25 foot. Behind the front couch is the 12 volt distribution center, concealed behind a small panel. This 12v distribution center is fed by the battery, the Univolt, and the charge line from the tow vehicle. One of the 12v supply wires from this center travels down through the floor, and through the inside of the driver's side A-frame member to emerge near the front jack. Here it splits, and one live wire goes to the breakaway switch for trailer braking if the trailer becomes detached from the tow vehicle. The other branch of the live wire goes to the power jack. The ground returns are via the frame. To understand better what is going on, you will need a voltmeter applied between the live wire at the jack, and the frame. A couple of questions spring to mind:-
1. The jack works when the tow vehicle is connected, but not on shore power. Does it work when there is neither shore power nor tow vehicle? i.e, on the trailer battery?
2. Has it been like this since you have owned the trailer? If so, it is possible that the wiring has been altered from it's original layout. A wild guess would be that, as in my trailer, the concealed wire had broken in the A-frame. It is difficult to re-thread a new wire, so it would be easier to take power direct from the charge line from the tow vehicle, cutting this line from its connection to the 12 v distribution center.
As the 12v distribution center should be simultaneously supplied by all 3 alternate sources (when present), it's difficult to see how an accidentally broken wire could cause the fault you describe. My knowledge on this is very basic, so let's hope someone more knowledgeable willl come up with some suggestions. It will be interesting to know the final answer. Good luck. Nick.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:47 PM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
I cant help but think that the ground is the problem. Almost always more often than not, when there are DC problems that dont make sense, there is a problem with the ground.

Have you tried plugging the Univolt in to shore power and try the jack?

As John HD said, there has to be 12 volts supplied by the battery but the Univolt will do the same thing. I have seen Airsteams with no batteries at all, bu there univolt did the same efforts when plugged into the shore power.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Our's was added (before delivery) at the dealer. It is directly wired to the battery with an in-line fuse.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote