Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2004, 09:46 PM   #1
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
Power Cord replacement, 1959 Tradewind

I would like to replace the power cord on my 1959 Tradewind, however I haven't been able to locate one.
The female end plugs into the trailer, which I understand is obsolete. The other end of the cord is a 110v plug. I found an adapter in the trailer which takes it from 15amps to 30amps.

The trailer has is equiped with AC and microwave.

Is there a similar plug I can replace on the trailer with a weatherproof cover? Or is this a major rewiring job?
Paul
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:57 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
You can go to any marine store and buy a 30A weatherproof matching pair. Be aware that they aren't cheap. I bought a set for my previous SOB trailer at West Marine. My 2003 International had the same parts.

It shouldn't be too hard a job to change.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 06:53 PM   #3
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
The problem I'm having is, finding a replacment connector that is compatable with the male connector on the side of the trailer.
Do I need to replace the male connecter in the side of the trailer or does anybody know of a source where I can get a female cord end that's compatable with a 1959 era male connector.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Paul
Old 02-22-2004, 07:03 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
you may be able to find the female plug at a good electrical supply house.

hubble and crouse hinds are a couple of brands that make plugs for industry that may be compatable.

however, without a recepticle in your hand matching one up may be difficult. you may need to remove it and take it with you.

short of that, john's advice is good, just go marine on the trailer end.

good luck and keep us posted, this question is bound to come up again.

perhaps someone can post a pic of the connector in question.

john
Old 02-22-2004, 07:04 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
b.t.w.

is the trailer end a twist lock?

john
Old 02-22-2004, 07:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Paul

I went through the same thing when I had my 59 - found out the power cord male/female connector is not replaceable

As suggested the best solution is from the marine store as mentioned - they sell something similar to what you have, but of course not exact.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 07:11 PM   #7
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
I've taken the cord with female end to several hardware/ electrical supply house with no luck.

I will have to check a marine supply store.

No, John, the connecter plugs straight in by mate the indent in the cord with detent in the male end.
Paul
Old 02-22-2004, 08:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You won't find that plug at the marine store - you will have to buy both a male and female plug

Ken
Old 02-22-2004, 08:42 PM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
how about this instead?

plowboy

how about saving the cover for vintage reasons, then replace the guts of the connector with a modern one you can get plugs for.

best of both worlds, new internals with easy parts replacement and a vintage cover.

run that by the guy at the electrical parts counter and see what he sez!

can you post a picture of what you have now?

john
Old 02-22-2004, 08:48 PM   #10
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Thanks for the info Ken. I just checked West Marines online catalog. I'm probably going to end up intalling a power inlet similar to the one listed in their catolog.

Ken, were you able to use the orginal inlet cover or did you have to update the whole thing? I see they have several styles of inlet/receptacle covers including a stainless steel one for $89.99

Paul
Old 02-22-2004, 08:53 PM   #11
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
John, our digital camara is working. As soon as I can figure out what's wrong with it I'll post a pic of the plug and recepticle
Paul
Old 02-22-2004, 10:28 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

I am also looking for a cord end for a 58 Wanderer (18'). The 3 male plug spades located on the trailer (under the weather cap) are approximately 1/2" wide by 1/8" thick. The 3 spades approximate a triangle shape. Does this sound like the 59 style?
Is this cord end available? If not, does any one know the manufacturer & part numbers for a replacement male & female plug combination that will fit?
ChromeHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Paul

I did not replace mine as it was still in good shape - I was updating stuff and it was one of the things I was going to update until I found it was not available anymore.

Mine was plastic - so it was breakable - so I handled with great care once I found out it was not replaceable.

If I remember - it was 30 amp. Anyway, when I looked into replacing, it did not look like I was going to be able to keep the same cover - mine was a cap w/spring.

I know we want to keep things as original as possible - I my view there are somethings made better today than back in 59 - I think this is one of them - the marine plugs look pretty nice to me.

Ken J.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:54 PM   #14
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Ken,
I have to agree with you. I think updating the plug and cord with a marine style one is the way to go.
Paul
Old 12-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
CAn someone tell me if the West Marine Marinco power inlet is an easy simple fit? Do the screw holes line up?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeHome View Post
I am also looking for a cord end for a 58 Wanderer (18'). The 3 male plug spades located on the trailer (under the weather cap) are approximately 1/2" wide by 1/8" thick. The 3 spades approximate a triangle shape. Does this sound like the 59 style?
Is this cord end available? If not, does any one know the manufacturer & part numbers for a replacement male & female plug combination that will fit?
What you are describing is typical for late 1950s trailers and is probably the same as Plowboy's setup.

The connector is not standard (and never was) and is no longer made. They are not available at electrical supply places. Occasionally, old stock comes up for sale -- I know a couple of them changed hands on the forum last year.

I believe that the Marinco connector is somewhat larger and does not fit the same hole.

Another alternative to consider is a 15a inlet, which are smaller, and are available through Vintage Trailer Supply among other sources. If you don't plan on installing an air conditioner or microwave then 15a is sufficient. This is a much cheaper alternative and uses a smaller and lighter cord.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Here's some pic's and info on our update to the Power Cord...

Our vintage (1978-rear bath) AS models were built with the shore power cord hard wired inside the rear bumper storage compartment...

I decided to install a new connector on the rear side skin - see the pics on post #44, and the list of parts I used on post #46 - I got most of my material from Amazon suppliers - prices were much better that going to a Marine parts supplier...

Check em' out here... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f356...way-41888.html

Tags