Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2004, 10:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

'Porch' Light Replacement Fixture with 1141 Bulb

I have replaced the socket in the over-the-door fixture three times in five years due to corrosion and recently looked for a better solution. The original socket accepts an 1141 bulb and uses an isolated ground because the negative side is switched. A replacement is tough to find. I finally found a perfect replacement better than factory. WESBAR makes a fully sealed unit that with a little trimming fits perfectly. It's called a "sealed lamp capsule" their part number 403348 and is intended to replace the lamps in their boat trailer lights that are frequently immersed in water. These are available through most boating supply stores, on-line as well, and costs about $9.00 US. Hookup is straight forward. The white wire is neutral, the red wire is the bright filament of the 1141 bulb, and the brown wire is unused - unless you also want to light the low-watt 1141 filament and a small "side" marker light in the capsule for more light. I used small "bullet" connectors because in future I'm sure I'll have to replace the unit when the 1141 bulb burns out - but at least I'll have reliable lighting without the rapid corrosion.

[URL=http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=50 58&categoryID=211[/URL]
Attached Images

AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Save your old fixture!

I solved the corrosion problem by generously appling silcacone grease to the bulb collar and end, and coating the socket inside and out. The side pinis of the buld is where the main contact is made and of corse the tip. Where the pins rest in the socket has to be cleaned of any curd to make adiquate contact, and the tip. The old lens on the lamp was opaque due to age. I made a new one using Lexan. It works great. Griff
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
princeton , New Jersey
porch light 72 sovereign

Does anyone know if the suggested replacement would work on a 72 sovereign porch light?
kayaker410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Hereford , Arizona
What he said...
BScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker410 View Post
Does anyone know if the suggested replacement would work on a 72 sovereign porch light?
That installation will fit and be OK for any Airstream or Argosy trailer that has the light over the entrance door.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1141 bulb