Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Polarity light came on, no power while at campsite

I plugged up the 30 amp at the campsite, all was good and operating well. Wel that is until I stepped on the trailer power cable, dislodging it from the receptacle. Plugged it back in and noticed the receptacle was a bit loose.

No power on 110v at all in trailer. Looked and saw the small orange (polarity? ground fault?) light on at the back of the Airstream. Maintenance came out and installed a new breaker at shore power and Iam still having the same problem.

Tested the cable, it checks out. There is power on the incoming cable, at the 2 20amp breakers (which I reset) and out to the interior trailer wiring, but all 110 is dead as a doornail.

Iam looking for a GFCI or other way to reset power but have had no luck. Iam at a loss for ideas, anyone run into this before?

thanks-
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Breakers must be "reset", if any of them tripped. It is insufficient to just flip them OFF and back ON. You must push them FIRMLY past OFF to "arm" the breaker (you'll feel that the switch is a little springy and will go past OFF); then, push them back ON. Do this and see if that fixed the problem.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTransit View Post
...Tested the cable, it checks out. There is power on the incoming cable, at the 2 20amp breakers (which I reset) and out to the interior trailer wiring, but all 110 is dead as a doornail...-
Not possible. If the interior wiring has power, how can the interior be dead?

You've got an open neutral, which would allow your voltmeter to show power from hot to ground/shell, but you'd have no real power without the neutral.

Z
Old 07-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
sounds like you have a cable break at the head near where you stepped..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Solved

A year later I can close this one out. After this the trailer went into storage and I just pulled it out this weekend. Outlet testers showed a hot and ground reversed condition but it was in fact an open neutral. The junction box in back of the polarity light has 5 neutrals spliced into a single wire nut. One was loose and once reconnected, 110v returned.

I have no idea why that connection came loose when it did at the campground but in this case a polarity light on with no AC to the outlets/inverter was a loose wire at a junction.
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Wire nuts are, IMHO, fine for houses, but not for trailers that vibrate and bounce.