Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Still hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate3172 View Post
Consider this possibility. If all your internal outlets test fine but the one on the outside does not than meybe the sockets inside that outlet are corroded enough that the tester does not make good contact with the ground socket. It is an outside plug that is essentially sealed with a cover but that does not necessarily mean that it has not been exposed and sealed well enough. Maybe the outlet itself is bad. Also, as a parent myself I have a tendancy to take what my kids say for there word, but a childs imagination can sometimes play a factor. Another possibility is that the shore power you were plugged into while your daughter experienced this had the problem and not your trailer. I highly doubt the univolt would be creating the issue because it is screwed down to a wood floor isn't it? Well, at least mine is so it is insulated from the exterior shell.
Good point. I removed it and will replace wth a GFI tomorrow. In the meantime I remembered there is another receptacle underneath the 3 way fridge which no longer works. I checked it and it too has the open ground. Perhaps it is on the same circuit.
Julison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #22
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Call the voltage police!
Notice I said mariner, not Airstreamer.
And I have felt it, volts, amps, ohms... electrons I should have said.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
It's not a big job to install a GFCI main breaker, between the shore cord, and the breaker box.
It mounts in its own little box, and then you know that no matter what happens, you are protected.

Working in the marine field, we must be extra carefull with electricity, and have many times used a GFCI outlet, as a "feed thru" device, between line, and load.

But, a GFCI main breaker covers the whole AC wiring network.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote