RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #21

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Harrisville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Seeing the recent discussions over electrical hook-ups, it dawned on me that our '55 has the original 2 prong cord (gauge unknown, maybe 12, I'm guessing 14). What do I have to do to make it safe in regards to grounding? Can I use an inline GFI on the cord? I think I will eventually end up upgrading the cord, but I have the original glass screw-in type fuses located all over the trailer. How do I address this? Suggestions? I want to play it safe on this.
The best tool for checking which wire is "hot" is called a non-contact tester. Home Depot sells them for not too much. It's a pen sized tool which clips into your shirt pocket. It will eliminate all of the guess work for you. When you depress the switch, it chirps loudly when the plastic probe gets close to your hot wire. I'm not sure if all testers work on 12 volt systems, but they can be a life saver when working with higher a/c voltages.
tin'tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin'tater View Post
The best tool for checking which wire is "hot" is called a non-contact tester. Home Depot sells them for not too much. It's a pen sized tool which clips into your shirt pocket. It will eliminate all of the guess work for you. When you depress the switch, it chirps loudly when the plastic probe gets close to your hot wire. I'm not sure if all testers work on 12 volt systems, but they can be a life saver when working with higher a/c voltages.
A First post from a new Member !! Welcome to the forums Neighbor,Great to see You here !!
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote