RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond Hill , Georgia
You have been spending too much time on the internet!
Imasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
DKB is correct. We did both when retrofitting our 2009 Ocean Breeze 28 with LED’s—userd warm LED’s AND addeded warming gels. Bought an old fashioned compass (cutting blade with central holding point) and cut circles out of flat filter sheet. As we replaced each bulb, we placed the filter inside the glass, too. Very nice, soft effect with superior light at literally 1/10th the power consumption of halogens—essential for extended boondocking power savings.

When we saw that Airstream’s were being manufactured with dimmer switches, we upfitted our coach to these as well. This did require replacing some of the older already retrofitted fixtures as they wouldn’t dim properly.

Blue light IS not good for you right before you go to sleep. It’s why iPhones offer an evening setting that comes on after dark (it makes your screen yellower or “warmer”.) Many dr’s advise no screen use (including tv!!!) within an hour or two of bedtime. For my Kindle Paoerwhite library, I turn off the internal light before bedtime and go back to using a soft (yellow) external light, just like we used to do with paper books. At home, this is a very yellow/orange LED.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:53 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Just keep your eyes closed at all times.
QC TORPEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
We just got LED lights for the A/S and a visitor that came by said wow.. nice but did you know that LEDs are on the hit list for all kinds of vision problems ?
All our AS lights are now LED. We really like them. We prefer bright white (3500-4000K), but some are soft white (2700-3500K).

The LED circadian rhythm impact issue is real. Our biggest sources are computer screens. When we recently got new glasses, we purchased Zeiss lenses with "Blue Protect".

These Zeiss ultra-thin, 1.67-index progressive lenses are the best I have ever used. Have not noticed any significant color distortion from the blue spectrum de-emphasis. Got them at the Walmart Optical Shop!

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:13 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Indeed... a lot of people seem to joke about it here... but strange, how smart people, heed the research warning... and live a long and good life... yet the others whine when they get Macular Degeneration or retna damage just because they played dumb and lose their driving/towing licenses because they go legal blind... only to be retired to the rocking chair on the nursing home... while the other still have adventures.... such a shame... then again... who is at fault... that they don't see the light ?
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Guiness is good for you .... sure glad that hasn't changed ... (or did I miss something ... ).

Bob

It still is. Did that research last night....
Old 07-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #27
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
Indeed... a lot of people seem to joke about it here... but strange, how smart people, heed the research warning... and live a long and good life... yet the others whine when they get Macular Degeneration or retna damage just because they played dumb and lose their driving/towing licenses because they go legal blind... only to be retired to the rocking chair on the nursing home... while the other still have adventures.... such a shame... then again... who is at fault... that they don't see the light ?
I agree. No joke. Staring at phones, computer screens, tv, etc. is hazardous in many ways physically and likely mentally as well. Moderation in all things and hope for the best. Having said this please send me your hazardous AS LEDs and I will dispose of them for you. 🌅
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I will help with that disposal as well.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Washougal , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Too bad this is subscription only. Would have liked to have seen it. Can you spare a few minutes to sum up?

To contribute to this discussion:
I work as a Technical Writer; the company I used to work for was one of the originators of LEDs for lighting applications. I ghost-wrote a White Paper for them, and it speaks to this discussion.
Here's a link: https://www.techonline.com/electrica...ns-An-Overview You may have to sign in to read it.

The short story is that Lighting LEDs really don't put out much energy in the UV part of the spectrum which is more damaging to the eye. It's also why they (mostly) don't attract bugs. Fluorescents and other arc-based lighting, oh-yes-indeed. Which is why you see lots of bugs flocking to those types of lights.

If you wear glasses, you can get the Crizal coating, which blocks a lot of the harmful spectrum of light. I'm particularly paranoid about this, because I have lattice deterioration, and have had laser surgery for it.

Hope that helps. Or did I just make you more paranoid...
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is online now   Reply With Quote