Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Question open wires in closet???

Hi All, we are looking for help in understanding some open wires we found in our (new to us) 1991 Excella 25’. They are in the same closet as the water pump, on the street side. One is blue with a yellow stripe, the other is orange with a yellow stripe – neither are capped. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
aeriqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Keep em apart!

Whatever you do, DO NOT put the wires together. Unless you like to live dangerously that is.

Worst case - Fire and Explosion! Possibly fireworks ( if your unit is like mine!)
Best case - Cold and possibly scaley hands while you wait.

I think that the lotion is going to have to wait and the greater good will benefit by not losing a unit, no fire response needed. But you DO loose out on the fireworks.

OK, all kidding aside. Tape em off until you can get a manual and follow the electrical diagram. They are mostly likely something that is innocuous but you never know, and certainly don't want to find out the hard way, referernced above.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Deja Vu

I had a similar pair of loose wires under the wardrobe of my 2003 Classic 25. I never did find out what they were for. I taped them off.

I have a similar pair of unterminated wires laying under the bed of my 2005 Classic 28. I dug through the 2004 wiring diagram and found that they are for the twin bed model and are not used in my queen bed unit. The wires should not be left powered and unterminated; a short could very well start a fire.

I suspect the loose wires in my 25 also were associated with the twin bed model.

I generally find the wiring of the trailers to be very crudely done. There is lots of excess wire and apparently, no one at Airstream owns a diagonal pliers to trim the wires to more reasonable lengths.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote