Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Chanhassen , Minnesota
One or Two Connector Umbilical Design?

I'm redesigning the DC wiring and fusing at the front of my 1986 29' Sovereign and wanted to understand the merits of a one or two connector umbilical harness. Currently my worn cable and local mice run under the frame and enter the belly pan just behind the center of the front shell. The cable then enters the interior through large hole in the OSB floor just under the 12V circuit breaker panel. Historically I have had problems with both contamination and with wires getting pulled in the umbilical (causing no brakes).

Two connector design Pros:
1) Stored cable - The cable can be stored when not in use, minimizing connector contamination.
2) Removing holes in floor - A 7 pin female receiver could be mounted to the shell wall between the battery boxes. This would remove the need for a hole in the belly pan (assuming I move the ground wires and grounding connectors inside the belly). This also allows for a smaller hole in the floor for brake, brake switch and jack wires.
3) Future replacement – this would greatly simplify future replacement in case I have another problem or go with a longer hitch approach (Hensley / ProPride).

One connector design Pros:
1) Fewer connections = fewer potential problems

The engineer in me says to minimize connections however the two-connection design has its merits.

Cable Type - In addition I was considering either the coiled or cold weather silicon Bargman harness to put less stress on the connections when in use.

Does anyone have poor experience with the two-connector harness approach?

Thanks, Scott
Harrysheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
I replaced the front mounted 7 pin socket on the Tradewind 8 years ago and have not had any problems. I had bought a new socket and plug on-line from Vintage Trailer Supply, but, I just did a quick check and can't find them. If you can find a set the socket angles downward and has a spring loaded flap to cover every thing up.
Good Luck,
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
You could consider an EZConnector on both ends of the umbilical:

http://www.ezconnector.com/

They are essentially waterproof, couple magnetically, and a double-ended cable would be easy to sort out.

You would have to make a double-ended one yourself, however.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
You could consider an EZConnector on both ends of the umbilical:

http://www.ezconnector.com/

They are essentially waterproof, couple magnetically, and a double-ended cable would be easy to sort out.

You would have to make a double-ended one yourself, however.
^
Yes...use it, take photo's, be the first and report back 😳😉.
Inquiring minds need to know.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-31-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Oh, when I get my single-ended setup installed on the blinking truck, that has a different connector than it is supposed to...i.e.square instead of round...I'll get pictures,

Their website has good photos, and ETrailer.com also sells them, and has videos of the whole affair...just search for EZConnectors on their site.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Chanhassen , Minnesota
Tom,
Is this the VTS plug mentioned?
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-565.htm

Pollak has a metal 7 round pin alsoversionhttp://products.pollakaftermarket.com/viewitems/connectors/7-way-sockets-and-accessories

RMKRUM,
I noticed a previous posting on this connector. From an engineering perspective this looks well done. From a parts availability/adaptability/cost stand point I'm not so sure.

I'm OK with the traditional 7 pin. My question really is about doing a single vs dual connector umbilical.

Scott
Harrysheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Does the new style come with an old style adaptor just in case you need to borrow your neighbors truck? 😳

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-31-2018, 07:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Yes. That's the style that was used on the '70s trailers. They were mounted on the trailer center line a couple of inches above the lower trim. There is a cover on the inside skin to access the back for the wire connections. There is a matching plug that mates with the round pin socket.
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/7-Pin-Trailer-Connector-p/vts-590.htm
The blade type socket on the tow vehicle was not standard in that era. The service manual for the '72 appears to show round pin plugs on both ends. I remember having 6 pin connectors on a 1965 canned ham trailer I owned.
I use a molded 7 way blade harness, about 5 feet long, wired to the 7 pin round plug for the trailer.
I haven't had any trouble with this setup. I remove the umbilical when the trailer is stored to eliminate any chance of water, snow or ice infiltrating the plug.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:44 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Central Coast , California
Hello Tom,
I recently replaced the 7 way socket on our ‘73 Safari. The original plug and socket lasted almost 45 years. My old working life was in the heavy truck industry and I always preferred the dual connector 7 wire for the reasons you mentioned especially the ease of replacement although some fleets would specify single connector because the 2 connector cables could be stolen. I never had great luck with the coiled cables; they always wanted to get tangled up with other stuff. If interested, www.ryderfleetproducts.com has a bunch of different options select aftermarket truck parts and then search for 7 conductor socket. Lots of choices, plastic vs metal, split pin vs solid pin and bullet vs ring terminal connection on the back.
StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote