Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #1

Ocean Springs , Mississippi
Onan TL-212R generator

I'm trying to restore a Onan TL-212R generator out of an early 60's trailer. I can't get it to run. It will start and run for a second and then die. I have bypassed the solenoid an run propane straight to the regulator but it still won't stay running. I have a copy of the operator's manual and parts catalog and have adjusted both the regulator and power jet to suggested starting points but still no luck. I've tried adjusting both the regulator and power jet in small steps from there but still no luck. Since the power jet is such a simple design, just a needle valve, I confident that's not the problem. The Tecumceh engine is in great shape, good compression, good spark, new plug etc. so that only leaves the regulator. If I knew the specs for the regulator I would order a new one. The only writing on the regulator is the name Maxitrol. I've called Maxitrol and spoke to the engineering depart but they need specs. Does anybody have one of these regulators with more information on it, part # etc., or know the specs of these regulators that Onan used on this unit? Onan is no help.
mm7809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I have a newer propane-fueled Onan generator. It experienced a similar problem to yours a few months ago. Turns out the voltage regulator had died.

Mine would crank and crank and crank, but never actually start. While it's cranking the spark plug gets electricity from the house batteries. But as soon as it starts, the spark plug quits drawing from the batteries and draws from the voltage regulator instead. Since the voltage regulator was sitting there doing nothing, on the very first ignition stroke after starting, there would be no ignition and the engine would die. Which of course made it seem as though it had never started at all.

When I took it to my local Cummins/Onan dealer, they pulled the voltage regulator and showed it to me. It was quite literally scorched. Once they popped in a new regulator, it ran like a charm.