RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #41
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 14,740
Another similar recent recent thread FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ng-198420.html

FYI/FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:17 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member
 
Springtown , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 125
It's great to be aware of your usage but after my recent experience with solar there isn't really a need to conserve...

That sounds really wasteful but the truth is the power is available anytime the sun is out, and allot of it, up to 30 amps with a 400w array.

While your battery amp/hours don't change you can easily run anything you could want (sans A/C, coffee pot, high amp inverter loads) without breaking a sweat and as along as it's decently sunny the following day completely refill with power to spare again the next day.

I got a kick from identifying all the "high" amperage devices in my trailer. The vent-a-hood lamp was an example, it's not LED and drawed a hair over an amp, I never realized that.
CarterKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:05 AM   #43
Rivet Master
 
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
It's great to be aware of your usage but after my recent experience with solar there isn't really a need to conserve...
Geography and campsite layout play a big role. Other than the nice view, the picture is a pretty typical state campsite in the northeast. If my wife or I was around to chase the sunspot with the solar suitcase we were able to get about an hour or two of charging in the morning and some weak late day sun as it set over Killington Peak in the distance.

Like most of the campsites we stay at, rooftop solar would have been useless here, so conserving electricity is not an option, it's a requirement. As long as we get a couple hours of charging every other day we have no problem going indefinitely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1881.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	453.7 KB
ID:	347379  
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member
 
NWGetaways's Avatar
 
2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
It's great to be aware of your usage but after my recent experience with solar there isn't really a need to conserve...

That sounds really wasteful but the truth is the power is available anytime the sun is out, and allot of it, up to 30 amps with a 400w array.

While your battery amp/hours don't change you can easily run anything you could want (sans A/C, coffee pot, high amp inverter loads) without breaking a sweat and as along as it's decently sunny the following day completely refill with power to spare again the next day.

I got a kick from identifying all the "high" amperage devices in my trailer. The vent-a-hood lamp was an example, it's not LED and drawed a hair over an amp, I never realized that.
This revived thread was written long before I got some solar panels installed. I now have 250 watts on the roof and totally agree with this post. Unless I was spending a week in the shade the batteries are almost always sitting at or near 100%!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84DC7CD0-0FF4-4244-B5DE-04C3C84E1BDA.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	453.4 KB
ID:	347383  
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 425
On this topic, a question about 6v batteries. It seems that two SRM-24's will provide 160 AH. Assuming that it's not good to go below 50%, let's say 80 usable. T-105's claim 225 AH, so simple arithmetic says 112 usable. What is the catch, besides initial cost?
__________________
2019 International Signature 23FB "Cecil"
2005 Yukon XL
Former coach: 2015 Bambi 16 "Beanie"
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #46
Rivet Master
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 660
I think the catch is the weight of the batteries. Your 23 should be ok my 27 not so much. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
I think the catch is the weight of the batteries. Your 23 should be ok my 27 not so much. Dave


Right. The plates must be bigger
__________________
2019 International Signature 23FB "Cecil"
2005 Yukon XL
Former coach: 2015 Bambi 16 "Beanie"
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member
 
Springtown , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
On this topic, a question about 6v batteries. It seems that two SRM-24's will provide 160 AH. Assuming that it's not good to go below 50%, let's say 80 usable. T-105's claim 225 AH, so simple arithmetic says 112 usable. What is the catch, besides initial cost?
And I personally believe there is no harm in going to 80% DOC on those T-105's. You will lose some charge cycles but it's worth it VS the cost of lithium or the added weight of more batteries.
If you are doing a 80% cycle every day as a fulltimer that's probably setting you up for failure so more Ah capacity would be needed.
CarterKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member
 
Springtown , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
This revived thread was written long before I got some solar panels installed. I now have 250 watts on the roof and totally agree with this post. Unless I was spending a week in the shade the batteries are almost always sitting at or near 100%!
My apologizes I didn't even notice the age of the thread that makes all the sense now


Still good info you provided and a useful thread.
CarterKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member
 
farafield's Avatar
 
2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 350
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Geography and campsite layout play a big role. Other than the nice view, the picture is a pretty typical state campsite in the northeast. If my wife or I was around to chase the sunspot with the solar suitcase we were able to get about an hour or two of charging in the morning and some weak late day sun as it set over Killington Peak in the distance.

Like most of the campsites we stay at, rooftop solar would have been useless here, so conserving electricity is not an option, it's a requirement. As long as we get a couple hours of charging every other day we have no problem going indefinitely.
Can I ask what the campground is with that great view of Killington? Is it Gifford Woods? Thx!
__________________
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy...

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winter Living off grid in Vermont with woodstove cmell Winter Living 60 12-13-2018 08:32 PM
Minimalist vent fan upgrade for 68 Overlander fitzjo1 Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans 0 07-05-2015 02:33 PM
Minimalist restoration of Caravel hodol88 Interior Restoration Forum 6 09-02-2014 09:02 AM
Seeking To Go Off The Grid! privacy2 Member Introductions 4 07-11-2006 07:31 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.