Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
OEM Converter in my Argy26?

Hi all,

The following pictures are from my '74Argy26 deconstruction project. Is this a factory arrangement? I haven't moved anything, it was like that behind the bathroom closet. I am going to rewire everything but the electrical system is something I'm totally unfamiliar with and will have to study up on.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Day Five Measuring Converter (reduced).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	25927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day Five Measuring Converter CloseUp (reduced).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	25928  

Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper
Hi all,

The following pictures are from my '74Argy26 deconstruction project. Is this a factory arrangement? I haven't moved anything, it was like that behind the bathroom closet. I am going to rewire everything but the electrical system is something I'm totally unfamiliar with and will have to study up on.

Thanks!
Yep that's the original it is called a Univolt. I throw them as far as I can, the technology is old and they have a tendency to boil bateries dry.
Second thought there are some people who might buy it. You never know try Ebay.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Gary -- Second thought is to take it down to the bait shop and sell it as an anchor. Chopper, search the forums on 'bestconverter' -- we have a commercial vendor who sells Intellipower with the Charge Wizard that is much more modern and better controlled. Search on those latter terms also.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Got it, thanks!

Thanks for the leads. I'll make sure to investigate the upgrades. In the meantime, anyone here want this and the fuse box?

Cheers!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Don't unload the fuse box! I haven't done this but understand you need to re-use that item. Ask more questions -- we'll see if anyone more knowledgeable can fill you in. Certainly ask Randy -- he's the commercial vendor mentioned above.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Oops, you're right.

Thanks, I'm getting ahead of myself here. I am so much into wanting to get building that I'm hurrying the "taking apart". I need the fuse box? I was going to upgrade that item too, but I'll see about some more thread-searching and answers.

In the meantime, I'm learning about 7-pin wiring and thinking about what to do about all those wires my buddy snipped during the deconstruction of the interior! That's why I'm thinking I should redo the wiring completely afresh instead of chasing down the cut ends.

Cheers!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You can get a new WFCO converter with a new fuse box that uses the newer spade type automotive fuses if you don't want to keep the original.......just need to connect a few more wires.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote