Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
Nod
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
1971 21' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Mississippi
non inverter generator

I inherited my dads airstream. I helped him install the solar panels on it but did not help him do any of the wiring. We have camped in it a few times with no problems. I have construction type generator not an inverter. Will it mess anything up on the camper if I hook it up and run the ac?
Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Congrats on being a new Airstream owner.
The non-inverter type gen will probably not damage anything but you certainly want to use a protection device like that which is available from progressive industries. Forgot what it’s called, but it will monitor voltage level, frequency, and current and will disconnect the power if any of those go out of spec. I don’t think it’ll filter out noise on the power line, however. You should investigate it.

The other thing, however, those generators are loud. Unless you’re way out in the boondocks, you will not make friends running that thing.

If you can swing it, you really should consider an inverter type generator. The advantages are:
* quiet operation
* relatively small & lightweight
* fuel efficient

A lot of folks like the Honda’s. I bought a pair of Wen 2000w units that can be tied together to power the AC if needed. If I don’t anticipate needing a/c while off the grid, then I leave one home. Weight is about 50lbs each. Bought two for the price of one Honda. They haven’t failed me yet (knock on wood)😀

Do your research. There’s a lot of generator threads on this forum.
Jim
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Agree with above post..."quiet" is a goal we should all strive for...nothing worse to me then a noisy generator. That said, there are several out there which can do basic duty on gas and not brake the bank. I like the Champions; have a 2000W ($400.00~45lbs)which I use while in MT and no need for AC...I also have a DualFuel Champion 3400 ($850.00~95lbs)which I use with propane when I need to go somewhere requiring I use my AC; both are pretty quiet models. Lots of choices and price points...but please, get an Inverter model for the sake of those camping around you...

I was in Glacier again last week, and the guy next to me had a Yamaha 2000 which surprisingly, was very noisy...older model, but still, noisier then most Yamahas from my experience. Also, I saw a couple of the Costco Yamaha powered knock offs, that they currently are offering for $450~ in Costco stores...They were connected together, and running, I thought they were very quiet...surprised!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Yeah, I think the Wens I bought are Yamaha powered...that’s what drew me to the Wen. They are quiet and less expensive. Time will tell if it was a good choice.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Good suggestion by KK4YZ in his first post to check volts & hertz output on any non-inverter generator. I have an Airstream Avenue class b purchased used almost two years ago. By all appearances the Onan on-board generator was running fine, and not stalling when running the roof a/c. But after I checked the output on my Progressive Dynamics protector, I found the generator was running slow and putting out 15-17 fewer volts and 7-8 less hz than recommended. Once I adjusted the speed all was fine, but I would never have known without the device.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
Nod
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
1971 21' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Mississippi
I plan on using this at home for now and I have no neighbors close enough to hear it. If and when I get everything working, I plan to sell this generator and buy an inverter type. This generator can show hertz, voltage, and hours. Somewhere I saw a plug with a breaker switch on it, is that what I need between generator and camper? Thanks.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nod View Post
I plan on using this at home for now and I have no neighbors close enough to hear it. If and when I get everything working, I plan to sell this generator and buy an inverter type. This generator can show hertz, voltage, and hours. Somewhere I saw a plug with a breaker switch on it, is that what I need between generator and camper? Thanks.
Some folks like to use a separate voltage surge protector with their Inverter generators. I don't use one...my 2 Champion generators have circuit breaker switches on them with lights showing status. Your call if you want to add a separate surge protector...can't hurt; just more $$
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 07-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
I inherited my dads airstream. I helped him install the solar panels on it but did not help him do any of the wiring. We have camped in it a few times with no problems. I have construction type generator not an inverter. Will it mess anything up on the camper if I hook it up and run the ac?
A non-inverter type generator will run everything fine in any trailer. As for the Air Conditioner, maybe, maybe not. Most AC units are designed to "start the compressor" with 30 amps. It will run on less amps but in most cases the stock cold start capacitor is not sufficient to start up with out harming the compressor unit.

An inverter type gen produces more of a sine wave to run sensitive electronics, computers, etc. The Honda's or Yamaha's are inverted type gens. They are more efficient, quieter, and reliable.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:43 AM   #9
Nod
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
1971 21' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Mississippi
This generator has 30 amp 3600watt receptacle. The penguin a/c paperwork says a 30 amp 3600watt generator will work. Had to order the twist lock plug. Will know by next weekend. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
A non-inverter type generator will run everything fine in any trailer. As for the Air Conditioner, maybe, maybe not. Most AC units are designed to "start the compressor" with 30 amps. It will run on less amps but in most cases the stock cold start capacitor is not sufficient to start up with out harming the compressor unit.

An inverter type gen produces more of a sine wave to run sensitive electronics, computers, etc. The Honda's or Yamaha's are inverted type gens. They are more efficient, quieter, and reliable.

-Dennis
No argument about the "non-inverter" generator being able to power up everything "fine". It's the noise that's the issue when camping close to someone who uses the cheaper model. I saw a new dual fuel Champion "Industrial" 4000W model yesterday at Sams here in MT for $400. DB noise rating was 65db...(on low)….that's pretty loud compared to a Honda, Yamaha, Champion inverter generator... If you have not had the experience of camping next to someone using the loud models, you've been lucky...it ain't pleasant when those suckers are running in a campground!
Old 07-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #11
Nod
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
1971 21' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Mississippi
Got the chance to run the camper off of the generator this weekend. It ran the ac fine. Definitely would not want to use it camping with any neighbors. I am going to sell this one and get a newer champion dual fuel 3400 and use it on propane. I might have to install the easystart on the ac.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Got the chance to run the camper off of the generator this weekend. It ran the ac fine. Definitely would not want to use it camping with any neighbors. I am going to sell this one and get a newer champion dual fuel 3400 and use it on propane. I might have to install the easystart on the ac.
Champion will run either your 1500 or 1350 AC unit just fine with-out the EasyStart...also can other appliances with AC running. Great unit. If your in hot/humid climate (95+) having 2 AC's running together will require the Easystarts, but I have found running my 1500 works pretty well also with just my Dual Fuel and no Easystart... MicroAir were the folks who talked me out of getting an EasyStart since I had the Dual Fuel 3400...