Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 08:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Show Low , Arizona
no power to inverter outlets

I just took delivery of our 2021 27FB Globetrotter, we bought it out of state and had it delivered. We plugged it in to power and everything worked but the inverter powered outlets... we did upgrade to lithium batteries and a 3000 watt inverter, we live in a pretty rural area so access to a repair center is 4 hours away I did call the airstream dealership but of course there reaction was "it was working when it left here" so I thought I would reach out to the forum for help... we have owned lots of RV's and are by no means "newbies" we have just never owned an Airstream
Revtwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
First question, while unplugged, can you turn on the inverter and power those outlets?
I cannot say for sure about your inverter, but the 1000W that came with my 19' has a passthrough circuit to power it's outlets while on shore power. Can you take a look in the space where the inverter is mounted and see if there is a cord from the inverter that is plugged into an outlet?
Was the upgrade done by the dealer?
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Some inverters need to be turned on to work in pass-thru mode, so try turning your inverter on.--Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum! Good advice so far. Does your AS owners manual help, or maybe extra manuals/guides for the upgraded inverter etc.?

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
What inverter is this? If it's the magical Victron Multiplus 3000 it does a lot of things internally that historically were done externally, like a transfer switch and the charger/converter. It requires the installer to wire things differently, basically with the inverter pretending to supply shore power.

The thing is, with a 3,000 watt inverter like the Multiplus properly installed you don't really have "Inverter outlets" any more. Every outlet is hot whenever it's turned on.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:29 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Show Low , Arizona
Sorry should have posted make, it is a Xantrex 3000 inverter, the only outlets not working are the two inverter outlets in the bedroom and the two tv outlets as well as the DVD player outlet. The microwave works with just the inverter and no shore power, it seems to be just the one circuit when you look at the panel it is a 15 amp breaker that runs all of the above mentioned outlets. thanks for the great input all... still waiting on dealership to call back
Old 04-21-2021, 07:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the update . . . will be interested to hear the dealer feedback.

Any chance that 15 amp breaker is bad, or has a loose connection at its terminals or elsewhere?

Old 04-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Peninsula , OH
Inverter outlets not working

So I had other issues, but this symptom of inverter outlets not working while connected to shore power unless inverter switch was on was similar. Turns out that after alot of diagnosing, my 30 amp cord to the trailer from my garage was likely damaged leading to likely not enough current coming through to suggest to the inverter that shore power was available and thus it didn't need to work. I'm no electrician, but when I plugged in a new cord it worked. The bad cord was also causing the GFC fuse in my house to trip on the occasion and then the one in the RV. Probably a totally different issue for you, but i throw it out there just in case. There is a power switch on the inverter as well, so if you are off power, perhaps that switch is off even if the switch in the kitchen is on.
dmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtwhite View Post
Sorry should have posted make, it is a Xantrex 3000 inverter, the only outlets not working are the two inverter outlets in the bedroom and the two tv outlets as well as the DVD player outlet. The microwave works with just the inverter and no shore power, it seems to be just the one circuit when you look at the panel it is a 15 amp breaker that runs all of the above mentioned outlets. thanks for the great input all... still waiting on dealership to call back
You really should insist that with a 3,000w inverter that the trailer be wired such that all outlets are hot when running off battery and all are hot when plugged into shore power. The fact the old inverter outlets aren’t hot leads me to believe they didn’t finish the job.

In the original wiring those inverter outlets come from, well, the inverter. When shore power is available the inverter is supposed to switch over to that. With your new inverter, though, that needs to be rethought and wires rerouted back to the circuit breaker panel. The special case of those inverter outlets means the dealer almost certainly didn’t finish the job and didn’t test them.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:50 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
We have a Xantrex 2000 inverter. All the circuits that are inverter powered should be fed from the inverter with the inverter fed from the main panel. If I understand your previous posts, the microwave works on inverter but not shore power and the other ckt (br & TV outlets) does not work on either inverter or shore power. Have I got that correct?

If so, it sounds like the inverter is working properly. The outlets either aren't properly wired to it or there's an open in either the wiring or a bad or open breaker. If nothing was working on inverter power, I'd say the inverter pass-thru relay was bad but since microwave works on inverter power, the inverter appears to be fine.

I'd try to trace the wiring to see if those outlets are actually connected to the inverter or if a breaker is tripped.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Watching the discussion with interest, however the following statement may not be 100% accurate IMO:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenavy View Post
. . .
. . . If I understand your previous posts, the microwave works on inverter but not shore power . . .
. . .
Post #6:
Quote:
. . .
. . . The microwave works with just the inverter . . .
. . .
Here is the OP:
Quote:
. . .
. . . We plugged it in to power and everything worked but the inverter powered outlets...
. . .
So I assume the microwave does work on shore power?

Thanks.

FWIW

Old 04-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, let's back up a bit.

You have two gizmos (that might be in one box):

1) An inverter, it converts 12V to 120V when no shore power is available.

2) An automatic transfer switch. It moves the "load" from the inverter to shore power when shore power is available.

Not every inverter out there has *both* those gizmos in the box. It gets called an inverter regardless of having #2 above inside the box.

Assuming your inverter *does* have an auto transfer switch, there are a couple points things could go wrong:

1) It needs to be hooked to a shore power circuit. If those wires are missing .... not going to work.

2) The breaker for that circuit needs to be turned on.

3) There likely is a fuse or breaker for the circuit located on the (transfer switch part of) the inverter. If it's blown then it needs to be reset / replaced.

So, first step is off to the manual for your device. See what model you have and what it's features are. Past that, if it's got the right features, grab your multimeter and start tracing the power feed .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Sorry should have posted make, it is a Xantrex 3000 inverter,
. . .
Inverter identified in recent post, which also included additional data points.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Our 2019 FC 27 with factory stock equipment had the same problem. We got no juice when using inverter and inverter outlets. Worked fine on generator or shore power.

Luckily for us a fellow camper had the same issue, and know what to do, and sold us his spare fuse.

Here is the fuse we had to change out in the inverter.
When pulling the batteries for over-winter, and re-hooking back up we blew it again. But now we had one to use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Show Low , Arizona
Angry

Wow... Okay first thanks for all the input, let me clear up the microwave issue, Microwave works both on shore power and with just the battery via inverter. I'm starting to get the run around from the dealership.. no one seems to know what to do we'll get back to you yada yada yada.... I pull the electrical panel and checked for loose connections it was good... (wish i had not seen the mess of wires back there you would think for 120k plus that airstream would do a better job..) anyways I will check to see if 15amp breaker is good today there are no tripped breakers anywhere it is all to do with that one circuit on the 15amp breaker after that the only other thing I can do is to check the tie in box in the front storage compartment
Old 04-23-2021, 01:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
The old inverter had, as I recall, two romex 120v wires going to it. The 120v from the panel and the inverter output that goes to the inverter outlets. My GUESS is they forgot to reroute that old output romex back to the circuit breaker panel. At this point it should really just be another circuit like all the rest.

I don’t know where your old inverter was and where they put new one. If you happen to have a front bed twin the old inverter was crammed under the head of the bed on the curb side. In any event the inverter is likely on the curb side in the front of the trailer. See if you see any dangling romex there or faulty splices.

On mine I reused the “Inverter” circuit breaker on the panel to now just power the outlets labeled “Inverter.” That’s because I wired my Multiplus inverter to pretend to be shore power as far as the panel is concerned taking advantage of the Multiplus’ built in transfer switch. I don’t know what they did with yours.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Wow... Okay first thanks for all the input, let me clear up the microwave issue, Microwave works both on shore power and with just the battery via inverter.
. . .
Thanks for the thorough update and clarification about the microwave . . . good to dispel other notions IMO.

Good luck tracking down the missing links of the chain.

Peter

Old 04-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #18
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
I just took delivery of our 2021 27FB Globetrotter, we bought it out of state and had it delivered. We plugged it in to power and everything worked but the inverter powered outlets... we did upgrade to lithium batteries and a 3000 watt inverter, we live in a pretty rural area so access to a repair center is 4 hours away I did call the airstream dealership but of course there reaction was "it was working when it left here" so I thought I would reach out to the forum for help... we have owned lots of RV's and are by no means "newbies" we have just never owned an Airstream
Hi Revtwhite,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 04-24-2021, 06:08 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Show Low , Arizona
Again thanks for all of the input. just an update the dealership did finally call me back and I went through everything with them once again on what was working and what is not working (same tech, same info) and yet again they assured me that I was on their radar and they want to make it right still not sure what is going on but as soon as the figure it ou they will call me back.... I went ahead and hired a mobile service to come out on Tuesday, I will update with what he finds. Because we have the queen bed model our inverter is located in the front compartment, curb side yesterday I attempted to see if I could find any bad connections our unconnected wires it was such a mess that's when I decided to hire the mobile service...ugh I will post pics
Old 04-24-2021, 09:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Sorry you’re going through all this!

It may take an electrician to figure it out if the mobile tech isn’t well versed on electrical systems.

By the way, the dealer should have swapped out the converter/charger to one that has a lithium setting and also installed a battery monitor (Victron BMV-712 is popular or Victron SmartShunt) so you can tell the state of charge of your batteries. Lithium batteries have unique charge and discharge characteristics that means they aren’t just plug and play. Normally you use voltage to tell how much charge you have in the batteries but Lithium has such a flat discharge curve that voltage won’t change much as the battery draws down.

Also the cables from the batteries to big inverter should have been upgraded to handle the increased current. Maybe they did and maybe not. That new inverter can draw 200amps or more at full bore. 02 gauge would be the minimum in my book. The trailers come stock with cables much too small for that extra load. They could overheat and melt, not to be too dramatic.

How many Lithium batteries did you add? What brand are they?