Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Alabama
No LP - All Electric, is it realistic?

Hello, first post and first time 'streamer!

I'm doing a full renovation (rewiring too) on a 1972 31' Sovereign, looking at relying on shore/generator power for an electric on demand hot water heater, a single A/C unit (either combination with heater or a separate electric space heater), an electric refrigerator, an electric cook top, a toaster oven, and all the little other things.

Because it only has a black water tank and our style of travel we only plan on being without full hookups while on the road.

My question is;

If I rewire the trailer for 50AMP service, have a good sized generator and possibly build a battery box for multiple batteries... would I be able to expect to run say the refrigerator for 24-48 hours on battery/inverter power alone, and will a decent sized generator provide enough for running the A/C and/or the on demand hot water unit?

I plan on keeping 12V for lights and such, but basically is an all 110/120V trailer realistic? I apologize if I'm extremely naive...
J.air.doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Welcome to the forums!

That question has been hashed around several times.

The answer tends to be it works for some, not for others. I am a “not for others”.

I guess my question is why? The rest of this post is simply my opinion.

Having the ability to use two power sources adds flexibility. Lots of batteries are heavy. Inverters are inefficient. Generators are expensive and require constant feeding.

Propane for cooking, heating water, heating the trailer, running the refer, and even lighting is cheap, safe, and easy to carry a LOT of.

Having to have electric power constantly seems quite limiting to me.

Most all that consider total electric say they will never camp where there is no power. I would like to see true numbers on the folks whom choose to go that way and later regret it at some point.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I agree with what Jeff said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
The answer tends to be it works for some, not for others. I am a “not for others”.

I guess my question is why? The rest of this post is simply my opinion.

Having the ability to use two power sources adds flexibility. Lots of batteries are heavy. Inverters are inefficient. Generators are expensive and require constant feeding.

Propane for cooking, heating water, heating the trailer, running the refer, and even lighting is cheap, safe, and easy to carry a LOT of.

Having to have electric power constantly seems quite limiting to me.

Most all that consider total electric say they will never camp where there is no power. I would like to see true numbers on the folks whom choose to go that way and later regret it at some point.
Not to mention resale...most potential buyers (believe it or not, you will sell it someday) would expect your trailer to have the capabilities it did when it was new.

If anything, from the sounds of your restoration, you may want to consider adding a grey water tank - it certainly is easier during a restoration rather than after ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
There was an all electric in the vintage trailer section at the Fl state rally last year. The propane tanks were removed and there was a fairly large generator mounted in their place on the front with a nice custom Al cover. Yes, a decent sized generator should operate everything you need. Maybe not all at once. Certainly will run the AC. I do not think you will be able to run much at all with the inverter and batteries.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
I would be concerned with having a 110v only refrigerator when traveling... Can an all electric refrigerator run off the TV while getting from one place to another? If not, I would be concerned with food spoilage while underway especially with the high summer heat a lot of folks are experiencing lately.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
We like the flexibility of having propane

We can be without electricity and still be able to take a hot shower and cook. We prefer all hookups but they are not aways available where we want to go.....and yes, you will want to add a grey tank.....the more flexibility you build into your trailer the more useful it will be.....some places do not allow generators.....like the park we are in right now.....and we are using the parks electricity.....it is very nice and quiet here now.....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
from what i've read on the forums the on demand water heater needs to be rated for RV use.

look into a danfoss type 12v refrigerator.

will 50a service power the stove and everything else?

use the search tab on top (google search box) for the various items and you should find some good reading :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
similar thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...dea-78643.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I have to agree with most here...even though you project now that you will only camp where there is electricity, it is not always possible. And when you can run a generator, there are usually quiet hours involved when you aren't allowed to run it...usually in the 9 or 10 PM - 7 or 8 AM range (overnight)...some places have even more generator restrictions...only for 3 or 4 hours a day around meal times. Then there is the resell issue. I would never buy an all electric rig simply because it wouldn't have the flexibility to do everything we like to do.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Alabama
Thanks for all of the quick and well put comments.

After toying with the idea (the ease of all electric is what tempted me) I've decided to keep the LP system with one exception - the furnace.

I will be designing a different floor plan and simply do not want the hassle of a installing a furnace and ducting, I instead will rely on a heat pump and possibly a Catalytic heater in addition if deemed necessary.

Any recommended threads to read concerning rewiring?
J.air.doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Nick,

Before you give up on the all-electric idea consider that most of the people posting here have no actual real world experience of doing without propane. They just somehow "know" that you can't or shouldn't go all-electric.

I deliberately don't have propane in my trailer and have been happily living without it for four years now.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...tml#post560322

In the process of building my diesel powered 1976 Argosy I came to realize that I could just as easily, more easily in fact, have gone all-electric.

What many people don't realize is that every traveler's circumstance is unique. What would be no good for some people can be perfect for you. Not everyone goes boon-docking for weeks at a time.

You can go all-electric if you want to and you won't be the first person to have done so.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Tankless WH/Furnace combination

You might want to check into a Precision Twin Temp tankless waterheater/furnace combination. We love having endless hot water when we are hooked up to water.....don't think the ducting is all that daunting..... I think Lewster has posted on this....

We had an opportunity to camp in a city park for the Wally Byam Birthday Bash in Baker City, OR.....with no hookups....having propane made the difference of being able to actually camp there for several days comfortably. Did I ever plan to do that? Not exactly, but the opportunity arose and we were able to be in the middle of the festivities and shower and cook...just a thought....but then I would give up my electricity before giving up propane.....good luck in your project and I don't think there is a propane police that I am aware of.....do what you want...paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSimcheck View Post
I instead will rely on a heat pump and possibly a Catalytic heater in addition if deemed necessary.
I see that you are from Michigan. The heat pump becomes pretty useless when it gets down anywhere near freezing. You will definitely need another heat source such as the catalytic heater anywhere north of Florida or the Rio Grande Valley.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #14
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Nick,

Before you give up on the all-electric idea consider that most of the people posting here have no actual real world experience of doing without propane. They just somehow "know" that you can't or shouldn't go all-electric.

I deliberately don't have propane in my trailer and have been happily living without it for four years now.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...tml#post560322

In the process of building my diesel powered 1976 Argosy I came to realize that I could just as easily, more easily in fact, have gone all-electric.

What many people don't realize is that every traveler's circumstance is unique. What would be no good for some people can be perfect for you. Not everyone goes boon-docking for weeks at a time.

You can go all-electric if you want to and you won't be the first person to have done so.

Sergei
I'm with Sergei on this one.

Diesel water heater also used for space heating

Diesel stove / oven - Wallas 87D

Diesel genset for when it all goes wrong

+ Big solar
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sure you can do it without another energy source such as propane, but it appears those using only electric have another energy source—diesel. You could do it with a gas generator, but you'll need a generator for when the campground power goes out. You will need heating near the water tanks and that will have to be electric. The propane furnace has heat ducts to the tanks and you will have to supplement or replace those.

Solar may not be enough unless you want to spend many thousands on many panels plus a big inverter and lots of batteries. On stormy, dark days you will need a generator.

If you are camped somewhere without an electric hookup and have to use a generator a lot, your neighbors will not be happy. A big solar setup can solve that unless the weather is bad.

Jeff summed it up well in post #2.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #16
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
I need to start building my own brand of super sneaky extra quiet generators.
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
I need to start building my own brand of super sneaky extra quiet generators.
Nuclear is quiet.

Gene
Old 08-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #18

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Nuke it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Nuclear is quiet.

Gene
Yeah, but then you need an HD tow vehicle for the reactor and you know that just beats the tar out of the Airstream.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
If you go all-electric wouldn't that mean that you could also eliminate the 12V system? My idea would be to eliminate the propane and 12V, and eliminate the generator. Would only work if you were in a campground. Not a good idea for extended stays, but if you were using a small (16 foot?) trailer, only camping for a few days at a time and stayed in temperate (non-freezing) areas, it might work. And limiting yourself to campgrounds with full hook-ups would also mean that you could greatly reduce the size of the freshwater tank and combine the gray and black water tanks into one small tank (in case you wanted to use the toilet while you were between campgrounds.
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
If you want to sell it someday, the more different it is, the harder it will be to sell.

Gene