Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #1

Scottsdale , Arizona
No Electric Inside Airstream

We're brand new to Airstreaming and just took our 2006 Airstream to the state park this weekend. It was our first time camping without hookups of any kind. The power was working for around 5 to 10 minutes and then all the electric in the Airstream went out. No electric inside at all, but the power jack still worked. We reset the breakers and checked the fuses, but still no electric inside. Are we missing something basic or has anyone had a similar problem? Thanks.
LetsRollAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Interesting that the jack still worked.

Assuming the fuses and breakers are good, start at the battery with a volt meter and chase the wiring. If you have good voltage at the Batt, check it on both sides of the circuit breaker/fuse panel. It still sounds to me like there could be an issue in the panel.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Check your battery ground.

Be sure the battery has a good ground to the body and frame. The jack may be directly connected to the battery, not needing the battery to be grounded to the frame. Generally, when nothing works, the solution is easy. It's when some things work and some don't that things become more complex.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Is there a battery disconnect switch by the door? That would explain the 12v outage (lights, radio, fans, etc.....) but not the 120V outage. Sounds to me like the breakers.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Merlin , Oregon
i have the same problem. let me know if you've figured it out
spanky1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky1313
i have the same problem. let me know if you've figured it out
Have you solved your electrical problems yet?
wayne.yl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I know this may be a long shot, but was there still 120 volt power at the camp site connection?
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, as clancy boy said, check the battery disconnect switch just inside of your door area; Look for a red light. If red light is out, you have turned off the 12 volt battery supply.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:18 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
a little more info would be helpful.

what year trailer?

all lights out? or just the 12 volt stuff?

campground service still energized?

battery installed correctly? if reversed you may have blown the negative fuse if you have an older trailer.

fill in the blanks and we can help you more!

john
Old 12-16-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Sounds like the battery disconnect, the jack is wired directly to the charge line on the hitch This means your battery is still good, so you can move to other areas. Make sure all the connections on the positive terminal of the battery are securely connecour disconnect switch, and check your disconnect switch, as noted above.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:56 AM   #11

Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks for everyone's response! We did what Fyrzowt suggested (with a volt meter) and also verified grounding (Jim Foster) and other suggestions. Unfortunately we still couldn't fix the problem. There is no electric at all - not even at the battery disconnect switch. Lucky for us the state park is only 10 minutes or so from the Airstream dealership so we dropped it off so they can fix it tomorrow (and hopefully not cost too much as it's still under warranty). It is a 2006 Safari and the original owner used it 2 times in Texas and had it sitting without any maintenance for about 1 1/2 years. We had our Airstream in at the dealership on Friday to replace the furnace board so I'm not sure if that's related to this electric issue. I will post what they determine is the problem so Spanky1313 and others know.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:59 AM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRollAZ
T we dropped it off so they can fix it tomorrow (and hopefully not cost too much as it's still under warranty).
In theory, there should be no charge for a warranty repair. Please let us know what it is, so we can put it in the archives of "fixes".
Also, welcome to the forums!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #13

Scottsdale , Arizona
The dealership determined that it was a failed self-resetting 50amp fuse that is located beside the main power solenoid. In our unit, it was right behind the batteries just inside under the front sofa. (We have a 2006 28' Safari with front bed). Power goes through it before it goes to the main solenoid and the remote on/off battery switch. That's why there was zero power to the entire unit. The part itself is only around $9.00. Overlander63 was right - it was still covered under warranty at no cost to us. The part isn't expensive but the labor might have been. I took a picture of the fuse next to a pen so if anyone would like to have me e-mail them a picture, let me know.