Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bloomfield Hills , Michigan
Newbie question about surge protection

I haven't gotten to the user manual yet for our new 2017 FC - we take ownership in a month. She runs 50 amps. We know we have to buy the 50/30 pig tails... but we want to buy a surge protector but don't know if we have to consider the amperage? Probably a stupid question.... can anyone educate me..
RandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandB View Post
I haven't gotten to the user manual yet for our new 2017 FC - we take ownership in a month. She runs 50 amps. We know we have to buy the 50/30 pig tails... but we want to buy a surge protector but don't know if we have to consider the amperage? Probably a stupid question.... can anyone educate me..
These are the standard most people will agree. And made in the US. Great product that tests the power and wiring at the post before turning on the power to your coach. Yes, you need a 50 amp model.

http://a.co/6kOjMAp
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If you buy the 50 amp surge protector and a 50F-30M dog bone, you'll be able to use the surge protector on both 50 or 30 amp park pedestals.

I'd only consider the 30 amp surge protector if I had 30 amp wiring (1 air conditioner)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
My trailer is 30 amp and would not plug into any pole without it. It has saved my trailer from damage many many times. I bought mine at Camping world and it's done a great job. You are so smart to purchase one!
kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
East central , Illinois
The 50/30 adapter was included in our 2016 Pendleton. You may want wait until you see if it included with hours. We use the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C for out trailer. I think you will find it to be popular safeguard on this forum as well as some of the other RV forums.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
For your trailer buy a 50 amp Progressive Industries, I have the 30 amp version. Like PCSkier said, made in USA and a great product. If you get the external model, make sure you get some sort of locking cable to secure it to the power post.
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
www.streamingairheads.com

Gettysburg , Pennsylvania
Hi here, My husband just wrote a review on the Progressive Industries' products for our blog. You may find it helpful. http://www.streamingairheads.com/surge-protector/
streamingairheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Most dealers provide a startup package that includes the power cable, sewer connections and a few other odds and ends. It's possible your dealer does not provide a startup kit, but I'd ask before I purchased all these ancillary items. However, I would expect to purchase a surge protector. Your electrical tech will thank you and your pocket book is less likely to kick you over a voltage spike issue.

Hope to meet you on the road someday. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
We had a customer call with 7K in damages before she finally bought one. Pretty cheap insurance. Progressive Industries is the only brand with lifetime warranty that I'm aware of. EMS systems have the best protection but if budget dictates, a portable surge only is better than running nekkid
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
These are the standard most people will agree. And made in the US. Great product that tests the power and wiring at the post before turning on the power to your coach. Yes, you need a 50 amp model.

http://a.co/6kOjMAp

I have a 30' FC. That Progressive Industries Model is the one I bought Nov '15.

Plugged in once and got 168V line to neutral on leg 1. Surge Protector said, "Not today".

Love that thing.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
I have a 30' FC. That Progressive Industries Model is the one I bought Nov '15.

Plugged in once and got 168V line to neutral on leg 1. Surge Protector said, "Not today".

Love that thing.
Hear this every day from both sides. Your side is the happy people calls that had one
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Though I installed a TRC 30A Permanent Hardwired RV Surge Guard protector when I purchased our 23FC, I also always test both the water pressure and the electrical service at the pedestal. I believe there is a pressure reducer in the newer Airstreams, but I recently encountered water over 100 psi.

I have encountered problems with the electrical pedestal on 4 or 5 occasions. Camp ground managers have replaced the box or given me another site at my request. They almost always appreciate learning of the problem, as it is a risk for the uninformed camper and liability for the camp.

True, this is a belt and suspender approach. But I hate getting caught with my pants down. .

The advantage of the hardwired protector is you don't have to worry about theft. (I do lock my umbilical cord to my trailer by using a padlock after wrapping the cord around my tires.)

The first link is to the hard wired protector and the second link provides a terrific description of electrical safety and how to conduct a simple test of the electrical connection. Mis-wired pedestals are infrequent but do exist.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...63213345199626

http://noshockzone.org/

Fun times begin with safe times!
Old 03-27-2017, 03:06 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds View Post
My trailer is 30 amp and would not plug into any pole without it. It has saved my trailer from damage many many times. I bought mine at Camping world and it's done a great job. You are so smart to purchase one!
Agree with the above. Bought a 30amp surge protector at camping world and the second time I used it the polarity at the camp ground plug was reversed. The protector notified me of this and would not let power go to the AS.

Guy
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I had a 'Surge Guard', and one evening in Erieau, we had a thunder storm of good proportions.
The Surge guard died, protecting my Hi-Lo, and it cost me $160 C. to buy another.
Cheeep insurance.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I bought one of these at an RV show years ago. Now I check the post before plugging the RV in. (Not to replace the surge protector)
It talks to you.
https://50amppowerpal.com
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #16
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
sale on Progressive Industries

Good sale now at Camping World website on Progressive Industries Surge Protectors, 50 Amp is what I noticed because it's what I need, Hardwired version 23% off = $279 (regularly $366)

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Another vote to just buy one, I had actually talked myself out of it but decided to last minute install one before our maiden voyage. The very first pedestal I plugged into had reverse polarity, which is nothing to kid about. There is a massive difference in risk between a single outlet being wired backward in a house and having your entire electrical system wired backward, which is what happens when the single receptacle you plug into is reverse polarity. You have a massive investment in your trailer, let alone your own life and those you love...just spend the 0.2% of the cost of your trailer for one the best insurance policies you can own.

As others suggest, I would buy the one that matches your trailer...as it wouldn't make any sense to cheap out and save $75 and give up protecting your second A/C. I would also vote for a hardwired version as they offer more protection, theft proof, your can't forget it at the pedestal and you can't forget to bring it with you...and you won't decide to skip it that one night you are setting camp in the dark and blowing rain.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #18
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
An ounce of prevention... ayup

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
OK, you guys have worn me down ... I'm going to get a surge protector.

Progressive I (and I assume Surge Guard) has two types ... one that checks polarity and such, plus surge; the other does something regarding low voltage and perhaps other checks as well.

"The other" costs about double the first.

What does the more high-powered version do, and which do the wise folk of Airforums use?
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #20
The Tin Man

2017 27' International
SoCal , California
The progressive industries SSP works great. Checks for misfiring and protects your 50 amp service. Good price too. It also comes with a steel collar so you can lock it to the pole and not "lose" it. Keeps honest people honest...
WBCC #4913
sandollars is offline   Reply With Quote