Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
San Jose , California
Newbie question about routing coax cable

Hi there! I've been officially full-timing since July and have had our local internet service technician install the coax cable from the outside box to the inside via the door as a temporary solution. Does anyone have any best practices in routing the cable inside to the router? Am I doing it wrong?
theflash44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy!
Some pics of your layout would help. I ran my AC power and drain lines "inside" and attached to ceiling. Would be easy to do similar for your situation perhaps.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I would start with trying to route the cable via the same route as used for the cable TV cable. Some disassembly may be required.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:26 AM   #4
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
You could drill right through the trailer walls on the street side under the dinette seat and add a RV coax plate on the outside. Then run the coax to wherever your router is located. Had to do this on my 25er to get satellite connection to the receiver box.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
You already have a COAX outside that runs into the AS. You could add a splitter behind the TV and mount the router there - disable the amp or just make sure the switch is off. No running wire needed.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #6
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
For a quicker job run it through the refrigerator compartment and leave it coiled on the bottom of the compartment. The bottom inside lip of the refer door has two drainage notches cuts. I simply lay my cable in that space and gently close the door. This woks for my cellular boost cable, ham radio coax and an ethernet cable for a wifi booster. Easy to the pull cable into the coach with a small to medium hole.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
You can always pop one of these in under the window frame...

152 | ShowMeCables.com
EvelynDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
After reading these replies, I would pick the method of buying two of the appropriate splitters and using the current cable TV cable for both signals with one splitter on each end. Keep in mind the that the inside splitter must be placed somewhere before the cable attaches to the external TV antenna preamplifier/switch.

Thinking about this makes me curious. Since you have cable internet, I am thinking you must be full timing in a permanent place. Therefore I am thinking you probably also have cable TV from same provider. That makes me wondered why cable TV and internet are not already coming into the trailer on the same coax.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tappahannock , Virginia
I drilled extra holes in the panel behind and to the right side of the TV which gives direct access to the refrigerator compartment. So I run satellite dish coax and internet cable coax through their own independent outlets and uncoil the cables and connectors from the bottom of the fridge compartment when needed. No danger of leaks and pretty much invisible inside and outside (when not in use).
RivaHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

San Jose , California
Ok, so I drew a pic of what my current setup is so I can provide additional detail. I've got the Uverse guy coming back tomorrow and appreciate the help!

See the link for my [crude] drawing. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

http://imgur.com/I1arMk6
Old 10-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Thinking about this makes me curious. Since you have cable internet, I am thinking you must be full timing in a permanent place. Therefore I am thinking you probably also have cable TV from same provider. That makes me wondered why cable TV and internet are not already coming into the trailer on the same coax.
That's the strange thing to me. When we plugged the coax into the outside receptacle initially, the modem wouldn't connect to the internet once we routed a cable from the coax jack inside to the modem. Strange to me and there wasn't much help when I called Airstream directly.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
In your drawing you have Cat3 listed - I hope you mean Cat5e (or Cat6). But then again if I am following your diagram correctly it should be COAX (RG6) ran from the splitter to the modem. And then from the modem Cat5e or Cat6 cable to PC/Router/Network device.

I am not entirely sure the wiring diagram for the inside cabling - I would assume that the CATV jack has an amp behind it and for standard cable to pass through you need to turn amp off but you may need to bypass the amp altogether which would mean removing the CATV plate behind the TV to see what is there. As far as the SAT connection is concerned - it may just run to where the DVD is and you will have to take apart the shelf inside the cabinet to access. If that is the case then you can run from jack outside labeled SAT and install Modem inside the cabinet.

If neither of that appeals to you then run it as ghaynes755 said through the fridge panel.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote