Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
New Umbilical Cord for 2004 Classic

I have a 2004 34' Classic. The umbilical cord has trouble staying plugged in to the truck and also the connectors are fairly well corroded. I reckon my options are 1. Replace the head only and splice it into the existing wires or 2. Replace the whole thing. Does anybody have any recomendations which way I should go ? Thanks so much !!
Go_Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'd replace just the head, unless you are short on length. You can get them just about anywhere.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Fixing the connector will be the easiest option. Replacing the cord is a chore as the wire connections are hidden inside the front wall. Not an easy job.
When I fixed the cord on my trailer I installed an external junction box made just for this purpose. I purchased one similar to the one in this link.
Trailer Wiring Junction Box Spectro Accessories and Parts 38656
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think what Crispyboy describes may, or may not apply to your unit. My 2007's umbilical enters the trailer through the floor, just behind the front wall intact within it's black casing. It then runs to the positive junction block as individual wires. I don't think mine would be a big job at all to replace. BUT, copper has gotten quite high and it may be just as good and a lot cheaper to replace the connector.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Thank you Rich and CrispyBoy. One last question....If I go with the option to just replace the connector how do I seal it from dirt/moisture, etc. Silicone ? In the past I have had trouble with other electrical extension cords where I just replaced the head and dirt/moisture somehow always finds a way to get in there and cause trouble.
Go_Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would seal the tail end with silicone sealer and use a liberal amount of silicone grease, available at hardware stores, around the wire connection posts.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Navy View Post
Thank you Rich and CrispyBoy. One last question....If I go with the option to just replace the connector how do I seal it from dirt/moisture, etc. Silicone ? In the past I have had trouble with other electrical extension cords where I just replaced the head and dirt/moisture somehow always finds a way to get in there and cause trouble.
Usually the contacts corrode and fail first. Since the charge line is always hot, it's susceptible to galvanic corrosion. The connectors aren't especially durable and you just have to plan on replacing them every few years.

I added another connector and a spring for support.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
We let our umbilical cord drag on the ground for a few miles by accident. But it still works. I have a replacement cord and intended to replace it back to the original connections. In my unit they are under the front couch. I can crawl under there and see them but it looks to be very difficult to get to the connections. The wire runs through the A frame, then out of the A frame in the spare wheel recess, then up through the floor behind the couch.

I have read the posts about splicing the cable in a junction box (and I have one), but isn't it better to go all the way to the original connections? In my case it seems doable, without having to tear out things.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Keeping it up....

.....off the ground, run the umbilical thru the tongue latch D-ring pin.

Zip-ties on the connector prevents an unintended drop.

Bob
Old 02-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Try the EZconnector -- we did and it can't be beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Navy View Post
I have a 2004 34' Classic. The umbilical cord has trouble staying plugged in to the truck and also the connectors are fairly well corroded. I reckon my options are 1. Replace the head only and splice it into the existing wires or 2. Replace the whole thing. Does anybody have any recomendations which way I should go ? Thanks so much !!

I switched over to an EZ Connector a little over a year ago. The design is superior to the standard 7 pin connector, and uses a magnet to hold the umbilical cord to the tow vehicle. The magnet is super strong, and the connections direct. We have bought a new Airstream, and the dealer is transferring the EZ Connector to our new Classic. There is a junction box to connect the wires.

The cord stores in a magnetic receptacle on the tongue, the receptacle has a plug. The storage method means that the connectors are never exposed as the connections have a double o-ring seal. The receiver on the tow vehicle (on mine anyway) plugged into the back of my standard 7-pin harness, so I have the standard 7-pin, 4 pin and the EZ connector.

Trust me -- you cannot go wrong!

Oh yeah -- and there is an adapter that you can use on the umbilical cord to connect to a standard 7-pin connector.

Here is a link to the web page.

http://ezconnector.com/

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote