Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
New BD1260 HW converter

Swappped out the Parallax converter this weekend. About an 90 minute job. Found the Parallax had a solder failure on one of the capacitors. Completely loose from the board. That sort of explained why it was not working.

A couple of notes if you are considering an upgrade.
1. As others have testified, Randy is very knowledgable and helpful.
2. I ordered from the website a model BD1260HWL. I received a model BD1260HW. No L, which apparently was for lithium batteries. As I have sealed wet-cells, that did not matter. Randy says the website has not caught up with the changes in products.
3. The HW means hard wired, so there are no lugs to attach wires. Instead, there are hot, neutral, and ground wires coming from the box. The web site shows a unit with lugs for attaching wires. So don't be alarmed if what you receive is not what is shown.
4. I watched the YouTube video on the Best Converter site and found it to be very helpful. I used same chassis box and installed the converter with the fan facing right (to rear of the AS). Left the old fan cover in place. Plenty of grillwork to allow ventillation.
5. Had to extend all the wires. Rather than crimped connectors, I opted to solder conections and cover with heat -hrink tubing. Belt-and-suspenders, probably, but I do not want to chase down a voltage drop in the middle of the night.
6. Fired it up and immediately the battery began to charge. All DC loads worked.
7. Noticed a slight electronic hum. Heard the fan kick on, so the hum was there before the fan noise. Randy says there may be a slight hum, but not to worry. Not as loud as a transformer sound (remember HO train sets?).
8. Will take it out this weekend for a shakedown and can see how well it gets us through.
ProPride Hitch
Voyager back-up camera
Davidwantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:36 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
Mine just arrived last night. Same model. Installing today. No manual, but I see an adjustment pot and a jumper on the side. I assume you didn't adjust anything? Having trouble finding a manual online.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
I went to the website and found a YoutTube video that worked for me. Got me close.

I did not notice the potentiometer. I guess I was still trying to get it right in my head that the one I received was what I had ordered.

Was that pot a red button of sorts?
ProPride Hitch
Voyager back-up camera
Old 06-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
Couldn't tell. Inside chassis with hole. Label indicated a range of 16v to 13.2v I think. Jumper indicated fixed or float. Saw some Dave(?) Green video to get an idea of the install. My 1260 was different from his. While it was intuitive and straightforward, surprised no manual. Just box it up for customers and hope for the best it seems.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Did either of you have any issues after the BD1260HW install? I installed mine (HWL) last week and my GFCI breaker has been tripping. I don’t know if it’s related to the converter install or not.
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraed View Post
Did either of you have any issues after the BD1260HW install? I installed mine (HWL) last week and my GFCI breaker has been tripping. I don’t know if it’s related to the converter install or not.
Hi

If the GFCI is on the feed to the entire trailer, that's not an uncommon thing. The RFI filter caps in the front end of the converter can trip them. If it's the GFCI in the trailer, the converter is not normally put on that circuit ....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:18 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8083.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	757.3 KB
ID:	355372

The photo is the way I had to install my BD1260 HWL into my 2016 27FB International Signature. After the install my GFCI breaker kept tripping. After multiple days of research and troubleshooting, I determined it was a bad GFCI breaker. I replaced the breaker and it hasn’t tripped since.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraed View Post
Yes, I had a really weird time with the Siemens GFCI tripping. I looked at a lot of articles to try and diagnose the problem and finally concluded it was the breaker itself. I went to Home Depot and bought a new one, then went and checked all the protected outlets with my outlet tester. Couldn't test them before unless I had put in a temporary breaker and was able to power the circuit. All was normal. Fridge and AC worked again.

Then just last weekend when we were setting up, I noticed the GFCI was tripped again. I figured (hoped?) it was the bumpy road.

Once I threw it back on, we had no more problems. I am beginning to suspect there is something about the new converter that does not like the GFCI or vice versa. Sort of frustrating, but solvable if I keep a handful of breakers around.

Wish there were a better solution.

Dave
ProPride Hitch
Voyager back-up camera
Old 11-03-2019, 01:07 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Have new 25 GT on order and wondering what PD to use for upgrade. Same one in this thread?
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Yikes, I guess I’ll stock up on breakers. I had to make 2 trips to the hardware store because the first one didn’t have the right notch in the back to connect to the breaker bar. It seems like it might be an updated model because I found one that is exactly like the original breaker but the packaging looked old and dated. Everything else (including the model, UPC, etc) was exactly the same between the one that worked and the one I had to return. Thanks for the heads up!!
Old 11-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
Have new 25 GT on order and wondering what PD to use for upgrade. Same one in this thread?
I'm so sorry, I got a little lost with the abbreviation. What PD?

Glad to answer, but I want to be sure I'm asking the right question. And I know I am going to dope slap myself when you tell me.

Dave
ProPride Hitch
Voyager back-up camera