Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2021, 07:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
My single 15,000 btu starts and runs just fine using our Honda EU2200 with Genconnex propane conversion and no Easy Start. I have only run it at 890ft, though I did have the lights and one fantastic fan running at the time.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
If you want to run appliances like hair driers ... then you’ll need the generator.
Not necessarily, for those interested in boondocking and hair drying:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f38...ng-197314.html
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:31 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
A quiet generator is like lowering taxes from 39 to 37%. Lipstick on a pig. Those “quiet” generators can be heard at great distances in open country. Unless you are camping on private property I think using a generator is…

As for solar/lithium , the rule of thumb is something like1 hour full on AC per 200 amp hours of Li batteries. So outcome will be affected by ambient temp. Figure $20K+ for a professionally installed system to run ac for 3-4 hrs..
psy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
It’s too bad I no longer live in Mt Dora. I’d bring my EU2000 over and you could try it.
I’m under the impression the new Airstreams already have an “Easy Start” built in to the AC.
My EU2000 started and ran my 15k Penguin II. I installed an Easy Start anyway, and it took the big thump out of the compressor start up.
In reference to your statement about already having an Easy Start built in, I suspect that you might be referring to some model having a start capacitor and PTCR (positive temperature coefficient resistor), which are intended to aid in starting the compressor motor on the unit. If so, yes, there is some value in easing the start, yet not nearly that of an easy start controller such as the Micro Air unit so often referred to.

What's interesting is that on my 2021 30' Globetrotter with 2 rooftop units, only the aft unit had the start capacitor and PTCR, not the forward unit. I'd love to hear the reason for that!
kajmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:23 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Solar keeps the lights on, you can charge small electronics and you can use it a bit to heat water or operate the refrigerator (our water heater and refrigerator also run on propane, so that does make a difference). It doesn't help with anything that draws over 1000 watts, so hair dryers, vacuums and coffee pots? Not unless you selected them specifically for low voltage and only run them for a short time.

The air conditioners draw a lot of power, so they require a soft start and a generator to work when you can't plug in.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
IMO, the size of the generator is irrelevant to the solar or no solar.
If you need the a/c having the solar is no help.
I'm big on the Honda IU3000is, but I could just as easily see getting the Champion 3500.
I don't try to see how few hamsters can spin the wheel. Just when you have the smallest, your wife will want her hair dryer.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:18 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
We use a Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Electric Start inverter. Runs virtually everything without an issue. I've only run it on propane and am currently in central WA state with yesterday's high temp of 115. We've gotten about 20 hours out of a 20 lb tank.

Reason for running only propane, I don't have to worry about gasoline that might be in lines or the carb gumming things up and propane doesn't go bad.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:07 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzabe View Post
We use a Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Electric Start inverter. Runs virtually everything without an issue. I've only run it on propane and am currently in central WA state with yesterday's high temp of 115. We've gotten about 20 hours out of a 20 lb tank.

Reason for running only propane, I don't have to worry about gasoline that might be in lines or the carb gumming things up and propane doesn't go bad.
Hi

Simply taking those numbers:

20 pound tank / 20 hours ... 1 pound per hour. Indeed that's a round number and it could be off in other situations.

24 pounds per day would be the "assumed" next step. A pair of 40 pound tanks would get you about 3 days. Either you spend a lot of time driving back and forth to the "propane store" or you get a 120 gallon / 420 pound tank brought out to your site.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:46 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Simply taking those numbers:

20 pound tank / 20 hours ... 1 pound per hour. Indeed that's a round number and it could be off in other situations.

24 pounds per day would be the "assumed" next step. A pair of 40 pound tanks would get you about 3 days. Either you spend a lot of time driving back and forth to the "propane store" or you get a 120 gallon / 420 pound tank brought out to your site.

Bob
Nope, we run on eco mode, run it only when we need it (prior to bed, or when spending a lot of time in the trailer during the day). We boondocked for 4 days last week and had just over 1/2 gallon left when I took it in for a refill.-run time on the hour meter was just under 20 hours. If you plan and use wisely, you can maximize your time and LP use.

And for me, it was a 45 miles one way drive to refill.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:03 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I'm pretty happy that I bought a gasoline powered generator. Propane is nice, but it's much harder to refill on the road than gasoline. If I had an SUV instead of a truck, I'm sure I'd prefer propane.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:56 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Penn Laird , Virginia
I recently got educated about RV solar, bought the materials, and installed three 100watt panels on my Airstream. I bought everything from AM Solar in Oregon. I can’t say enough good about them. They are fantastic in every respect. The components are the best, shipping was unbelievably cheap, and prices of components was reasonable. The most exceptional factor was technical support. The technical support was prompt, thorough, and freely given. When you buy from them they will happily hold your hand through the process. I suggest you Google to find their web site, go to all their DIY videos, and all the other videos, and spend hours watching them over and over, and reading all of their other educational material. You will learn a lot and develop more confidence than you ever imagined you could. Then, after you educate yourself, contact sales and a sales person will walk you through the sizing and other decision factors, to develop a plan to meet your needs and expectations. Understand that solar panels in an RV system do not power 120 volt items. Solar panels just charge batteries, then you need an adequate inverter sized to provide the wattage to run the 120 volt items. If you want to run an air conditioner then you will need more wattage on the roof than Airstream prewiring will handle. You’ll need to run all new heavy gauge wire. So, it’ll not be a quick fix. Also, your Airstream factory installed inverter won’t be anywhere near adequate. An inverter to do the job will be quite large and expensive. You’ll probably be advised to have a four or more battery bank. So, to run an air conditioner, you’ll have to go to great expense and give up a lot of storage space.
evamcmahan is offline   Reply With Quote