Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2024, 11:33 AM   #1
MRA
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
Alameda , California
Need to power devices only when towing

The rear view camera is only powered on when the trailer is hooked up and the driving lights in my TV are turned on. This is good as you don't generally need it when not hooked up and it's a waste of power otherwise.

I have a couple other items that I want to hook up in the same manner - ie: Power them on whilst the driving lights are on otherwise shut them down.

The 2 other items that I want to power this way are in different areas of the trailer; they are a Levelmate Pro (which is USB powered) and a repeater for a TPMS.

1) The Levelmate pro is currently above the rear dinette next to the stereo (and is plugged into the USB outlet there - so I have to leave the stereo powered on to power the device). Since the camera is very close by - is there a way to tap into that? Alternatively, I am not married to keeping this there - it can go anywhere really. I prefer to keep it up high as that is where the levelness is exaggerated; but no need to be so precise so it can go anywhere.

2) The TPMS repeater has not been purchased yet - but I think it is supposed to go somewhere in the front of and outside the Faraday cage that is the trailer; so the side of the battery box is where I was envisioning this - but am open to other spots.

Does anyone have any ideas about the accessibility of the driving lights power from either of these locations? or anywhere else for that matter?
MRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 01:46 PM   #2
Keys Dave

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Big Torch Key , FL
My levalmate pro said it shuts down after a few hours of the trailer not moving. So far the battery has lasted quite a while.
As for the TPM repeater I installed it on the A frame just behind the power jack. I wired it directly off the battery, through a fuse and I toggle switch so I can switch it as I hook up the travel trailer. This might be easier than using the power from the TV. You can tap into the marker light wire but it's a whole can of worms.
Keys Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 01:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
It's admirable to try and save some power, but for these devices I don't think you'll be saving very much at all and it's probably not worth the effort. You do get some power from the charging wire, more than enough to power these devices.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 08:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
TPMS repeater: I had to extend the 7-way because the PPP pushes the trailer back just enough that I needed more cable length. The pigtail kept falling off and alerting me the the trailer was disconnected. Yipes!!

So I cut the old cable and spliced it at a junction box with the new cable. While I was in there, I attached the repeater to the running lights.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 08:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we use lion batteries connected to a victron multiplus 3k. it supplies both dc and ac power
they power our unit when driving
we never to worry about the fridge as it keeps on running
2023 25' FB FC, hatch, Queen,30A,1AC,Awning pkg, Convection uwave.Multiplus 12/3000-50,700A Lion,MPPT 100/30,Orion-TR 30,Cerbo GX,GX touch 50,Lynx distributor,dual BMV-712, smart shunt 500A&1000A, RUUVI temp/humidity sensors,2 Mopeka LP sensors
NCR,Ontario,VE3HIU since 1978
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 09:12 PM   #6
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys Dave View Post
My levalmate pro said it shuts down after a few hours of the trailer not moving. So far the battery has lasted quite a while.
As for the TPM repeater I installed it on the A frame just behind the power jack. I wired it directly off the battery, through a fuse and I toggle switch so I can switch it as I hook up the travel trailer. This might be easier than using the power from the TV. You can tap into the marker light wire but it's a whole can of worms.
I did the same - wired my TMP repeater to the batteries with a switch at the front of the trailer which gets switched on/off as we hook up.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 12:58 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
Wiring TPMS Repeater

We wired The repeater in our FB To the right side reading lamp where it's tucked away underneath the overhead storage. This is plenty close to the TV cab, weather protected and we've never experienced any dropouts.
This is an "always-on" circuit but the current draw is negligible--no need to be switched and still protected by a fuse

emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 01:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Agree that I wouldnít worry about the power consumption of the Levelmate, it turns itself off after the trailer hasnít been moving for a while. I would find somewhere to plug it in that doesnít involve the radio being on, though.

If you donít have a handy USB outlet for it, you can power it with something like this.

The TPMS repeater on a switch sounds like a simple solution but you could also tie it into the trailer light circuit if you use that for your camera anyway.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote