Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Need help with AS wiring to TV

I just purchased a 77' AS Sovereign the PO delivered it for me. I followed him to my house and the trailer lights and brakes worked fine. Now when I try to plug the trailer into my TV (09 Chevy Silverado) I get nothing? Attached is the pinning of the cable that the PO gave me and the pinning (hand written) that is written on the cover of my TV. They are completely different! I would have assumed that the pinning of all trailers and TV's would be the same. Ugh! The PO's TV was a GM Tahoe which really confuses things???? Is there a good strategy for figuring out how the trailer is wired to mate it to my TV without tearing the entire trailer apart.

This has really put a damper on the homecoming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	89255   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	89258  

MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Hello,
Are you seeing 12 V DC where you should on the Silverado connector (without trailer connected)? I vaguely recall that when we setup my Silverado for the brake controller we had to remove a jumper in the under hood fuse box and actually put in a fuse to energize things.
-Ken
Old 10-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Northfield , Minnesota
The handwritted diagram doesn't seem to make sense...Looking at the diagram that shows "RH stop/Turn" and "LH stop /Turn" if voltage is applied independently to these pins, what comes on?.... You can't have a Right hand stop light and not have a left hand stop light at the same time...Doesn't compute....
I would use the pin outs shown on the wiring diagram for RV 7 pin connector..I can't account for the hand drawn diagram you say is shown on the cover of your TV...
If you apply 12 Volts to each trailer connector pin seperately see what comes on....I'll bet the printed diagram is correct and theres no accounting for the hand written one unless someone wired the tow vehicle for some unusual use...I'm betting the trailer wiring is OK and its the tow vehicle that was changed
J R Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
Hello,
Are you seeing 12 V DC where you should on the Silverado connector (without trailer connected)? I vaguely recall that when we setup my Silverado for the brake controller we had to remove a jumper in the under hood fuse box and actually put in a fuse to energize things.
-Ken
Yeah... I just found in the manual where there is apparently a wire under the hood that needs to be connected for the brakes and main +. I say to go to the dealer to have them connected but I sure would like to figure it out for myself and not have to pay to have the wiring finished for the tow package I already paid for? If you can recall where you found the information how to connect the wires I sure would love to know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	89260  
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 Argosy 28
Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
Look for the thread Plug size and ball size for '66 safari 22'? Post #3 has a link to pin schematics.
Al
Al's cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
MD,
We had similar issues with ours. We got a 2008 Ford F250 with tow package. We had the trailer towed home by my father with a 2004 F250. All the way home, the reverse lights were on the camper (didn't notice until home). When we plugged in our 2008, same thing occured. We were lucky we didn't blow something up.

I had the dealer we bought our F250 from check the wiring on the 7 plug in our TV while I watched and made sure the diagram on the cover of the connection was correct. Then came home, unscrewed the cover on the end of the camper umbilical and located the white wire. This should be your ground. Using jumpers from a battery, I connected the grounds together. Then using the positive jumper, clicked to each of the other pins to see what each went to. I found that the reverse pin on the trailer was going to the positive feed (charge) of the TV battery and vice versa. Finding the brake pin (we have aftermarket electric disc brakes on the camper) was a little tricky. When I touched the pin, had the wife listen for a click at the wheels. It worked well and we only had to swap 2 wires on the camper umbilical.

I figured it was better to change the trailer wiring than both tow vehicles since it seemed the TV's were standard (at least for both vehicles we would have towing it).
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote