Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2020, 08:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
Need help understanding what i need for my electrical plan

Always thinking ahead in my full monty renovation i have started looking at how we want to wire the electrical system in out 77 31' sovereign. during the demo I removed the old univolt and the 12v fuse block and the 110v breaker box.

so far my plan is to house the 12v batteries (going 2 lithium under the custom dinette I am building up front). I plan on also housing the new fused distribution block for the 12v right near the batteries.

I would like to keep the 110 break box near where it was originally so that is in the back 1/3 on the street side of the trailer.

I have been looking and reading about "inverters, converters, chargers and combo units.

so i have a few questions

1. if I am understanding this correctly i would want a converter/charger combo close to the batteries to avoid having to run long cables for connecting to the batteries from the charger output. is that correct?

2. am I right in thinking that for the 110v side the power should come in from the shore power cable to the breaker box and then to the plugs, 110 appliances, and a line running to the converter/charger?

3. If i want to power anything using a 110v when not connected to shore power I would want to get a pure sine inverter and then i would have to use the outlet on the inverter to power what ever i wanted to use?

thanks ahead of time
crazycuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
1. Yes, keeping the two components close to each other is the goal, if your layout allows.

2. What I did was have a Shore AC main panel that contained a breaker for my Inverter/Charger and any other shore only AC circuits I wanted (AC, frig, microwave,and a spare). The 'AC In' from here to the Inverter/Charger (Victron Multiplus 12/3000). The 'AC Out' from the Multiplus goes to a separate AC panel that supplies all AC circuits that I want to run off Shore Power or Battery through the Inverter.

Here's my layout, hope it helps you understand my description above. Be aware its 6 years old and I'm getting ready to upgrade some of the charge controls. Not all these pieces could be accessed directly through a phone app. Victron has moved some of their controls from the Negative side to the Positive side of your 12 Volt circuits.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring Diagram_1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	370960

Before I started to rebuild the electrical system I sat down and wrote out what I wanted and where it was placed (by room). It helped me determine size of electronics and wire gauge needed. I did 12 volt LED on all lighting which helps keep wire gauge small. Hope this helps.

ELECTRONIC CIRCUITS.pdf

3. Can't help you here, I struggle keeping all that kind of theory straight.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote