Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Need advice on generators

I’m gonna be needing a generator to run my 30 amp 2020 Bambi 22fb and I really need some good advise here. What’s a great generator to buy? I’ll need it to run my air conditioner, heat, TV....well I guess everything.
Shane74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
My choice is the Champion Dual Fuel Inverter Generator. Run it on Propane so you don't have to mess with carrying gasoline when traveling or gumming up the carburetor if it happens to sit for long periods without use. Carry one or two 20# tanks. Refilling or exchanges pretty easy to find. They make a 3500W for Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, and Camping World. They make a 3400W for other retailers, but from everything I can tell, they are the same.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:48 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartsDad View Post
My choice is the Champion Dual Fuel Inverter Generator. Run it on Propane so you don't have to mess with carrying gasoline when traveling or gumming up the carburetor if it happens to sit for long periods without use. Carry one or two 20# tanks. Refilling or exchanges pretty easy to find. They make a 3500W for Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, and Camping World. They make a 3400W for other retailers, but from everything I can tell, they are the same.
So I’m assuming it will run everything? Is it fairly silent?
Old 04-17-2020, 10:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane74 View Post
So I’m assuming it will run everything? Is it fairly silent?

Quiet enough that it does not disturb DW inside our Airstream with the AC on and the windows shut. It’s reasonable quiet outside as well.

Search around for my posts (‘Which Generator? Thread) on modifying the generator’s propane harness to properly run off the output of the built-in Airstream regulator and propane bottles. I don’t carry extra propane, and I can get my generator almost 20 feet away if I want.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:11 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
I find that when ever there is a generator that is annoyingly loud it’s a Champion.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Byron , California
Another vote for the dual fuel champion. 30 amp rv cord will plug in directly. I know it is not the most scientific device, but I loaded a decibel meter app on the phone. The Honda 2000 is very quiet, but put a load on it and it measured pretty much the same as the Champion.
obytheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
This will sound really crazy to you guys, but I’m a drummer and have an old plexiglass shield that I don’t really use. To those who don’t know that I’m talking about, it’s basicaly four pieces of plexiglass on hinges made to go in front of a drum kit to keep stage volumes down when drums get too loud. I plan on putting it in front of the generator but I’d still like to find a generator that isn’t that loud.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
I find that when ever there is a generator that is annoyingly loud it’s a Champion.

Problem is that Champion also makes cheap ‘contractor type’ open frame dual fuel generators that are NOT inverter generators. Those ARE obnoxious beyond belief.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
I’m gonna be needing a generator to run my 30 amp 2020 Bambi 22fb and I really need some good advise here. What’s a great generator to buy? I’ll need it to run my air conditioner, heat, TV....well I guess everything.
Hi, do you mean a generator that will run everything, or everything at once? I bought a Yamaha 2400 generator because at the time, it was the smallest, lightest, single generator that would run my air conditioner. And for me this worked out perfectly. That was almost seven years ago. Now the choices are many, and many of them come with a lot lower price.

Other than the Red and Blue generators, the Yellow ones have become popular. And then there are the dozens of No-Name generators that are inexpensive and deemed non-repairable.

GOOD LUCK.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I have one of the hated little contractor types rated at 3400. It runs every thing on my 22’ Sport except it will not run the AC and the Microwave simultaneously. That is never a problem for us. If we need the MW we temporarily run the AC on Fan only, then return it to Cool when the MW is finished.

I bought the little Coleman gen on-sale during the last recession for $149, and added a 30-A outlet and grounded the neutral (to get rid of the floating neutral issues RVs have.). It’s been a great little unit for us for 11 years now.

I don’t mind the noise because I have a long extension cord and place it far away behind a tree or other side of the truck, and since we usually only use it when we want AC (so we’re inside)... it’s not a noise problem for us.... and we truly boondock far away from anyone else so there’s no one else to complain. The only time we camp near others we’re in a RV Park where hookups make a gen unnecessary.

(There was ONE time we irritated someone else.) We were in Canyonlands (where gens are supposedly prohibited) 30 miles from ANY other camper and running it about 50’ away down in a ditch so it was almost as quiet as a Honda anyway. It was terribly hot so we ran it since we were so far out away from anyone else. I’m being honest...there was no one within 30 miles at sundown. We hadn’t seen anyone for that distance which we drove down the dry dusty river bed.
Sometime during the night someone arrived in a small car and parked about 50’ away in the other direction. I have no idea why they chose to “boondock” in a compact car right next to the only other people in 30 miles...but whoever it was did. I only knew they were there because I awoke in the night to urinate.
Next morning as the sun came up, I stepped outside to break camp and the little car was gone! ... but there was a particularly nasty note on my windshield condemning me for running a generator all night.
To tell the truth... I consider that person a coward. If they’d knocked on my door and asked me I’d have killed the genny. But to sneak up out of nowhere and then complain with an anonymous note... I have a very low opinion of whoever it was.
I realize someone reading this is going to get on their high-horse and say nasty things about me, but the fact is, I don’t mind if someone runs their generator. I don’t run mine if it bothers anyone else, but I’m not paying a Grand for a generator that I will rarely use and even then only when I boondock all alone.
You want gen advise? Get the quietest, most reliable one you can afford. If you can afford a pair of Hondas...they really are the best and every other brand is less so, despite whomever claims otherwise (because they saved a little money and bought blue or yellow or whatever.). Your Hondas will get stolen or worry you to death over that issue.... and you’ll never get over it and then you’ll buy something else and make similar claims.
Gasoline is most convenient but you’ll have to use Stabil and drain your carb bowls during storage. If you go propane you’ll not have carb problems but you’ll get tired of searching for another bottle of propane in unfamiliar towns and you’ll be low on propane just when you needed your generator. If you go dual-fuel you’ll have all the troubles of both (carrying gasoline and carb issues and/or wasting time/miles searching for propane.) Propane is misleading because it’s invisible/out-of-view,.... but you’ll burn just as many gallons of LP as you will gasoline... so which do you think will be easier and cheaper to find in Timbuktu?
That’s my opinion. YMMV
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:21 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2023 30' International
Las Cruces , New Mexico
We have two Honda 2200's. They work great and are quiet. When I want to run the AC, we link both of them together in parallel. If not running the AC, then only one needed. What I really like about having two, is that each one is fairly light, vs having to lift one big one.

I have been thinking about installing an easy start on our AC, which would mean I could run the AC with only one generator.
wilsodf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You might want to check this "Generators & Solar Power" forum:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/

Lots of good threads there on the various generator options, although there are also quite few Solar threads to bypass.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:04 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Greater Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:

Recently purchased a Westinghouse iGen 4500 DF (dual fuel) after researching for a couple of months. There are some good choices on the market but this one ticked off the most boxes for me.......

Quiet
Dual Fuel
Easy to move around
Remote start
Sufficient to run our GT 27 FBT
LED Display

The remote start helped seal it for me when compared to the Champion equivalent model. Also looked at the Firman models at Costco.

Search the model number and you’ll find many reviews from similar sized units from others.

Good luck
Old 04-18-2020, 07:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Nice unit!

https://westinghouseoutdoorpower.com...ator-dual-fuel

98 pounds . . . lower wattage output on propane BTW.

Peter
Old 04-18-2020, 07:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I run my 25' on a 12 year old Honda 2000. I do have the Easy start on the AC. I have the converter on a switch so I can turn it off when I need to. My plan was to buy a second generator to pair but I never felt like I needed it after I installed the Easy start. Based on my experience with the 2000 I would look at the Honda 2200i. I run on gasoline. I have a pickup so the generator is in the bed. I run it there most of the time. What is best for you might depend upon what you are willing to carry. An 3000 electric start in a pickup bed is very all providing or are you slipping in and out of the back of a small SUV each use?

I really have not looked at the newer offerings that are priced lower than the Honda's because I like my 2000 so well. I carry it full of gas and there are not leaks at all and it starts very easily,
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I run my 25' on a 12 year old Honda 2000. I do have the Easy start on the AC. I have the converter on a switch so I can turn it off when I need to. My plan was to buy a second generator to pair but I never felt like I needed it after I installed the Easy start. Based on my experience with the 2000 I would look at the Honda 2200i. I run on gasoline. I have a pickup so the generator is in the bed. I run it there most of the time. What is best for you might depend upon what you are willing to carry. An electric start in a pickup bed or are you slipping it into the back of a SUV?
I’ll always have a pickup so no SUVs for me. I’ll probably lock it down with a chain and pad lock for a little deterance. So will the Honda 2200 run my AC, heat, give me hot water, lights and water pump.

These are great replies but some of you will need to excuse my extreme ignorance on this topic. What does it mean when I read “converter”. I wish I wasn’t such a newbie, but you guys are literally the only source I have other than calling my salesman everyday.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:16 AM   #17
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The converter is the unit in your trailer that converts the AC voltage (from shore or generator) to 12 volts to charge the battery(s) and other things. By the poster shutting off the converter it leave enough amps to run the air conditioner.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The converter is a combined unit that both:
-- receives your 120-volt alternating current shore power and "converts" it to 12-volt direct current to power the trailer; and
-- also charges your batteries. ["converter/battery charger"]

This Battery School is a good read for general background on battery management.

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm

You should also read your owner's manual, as it covers most of the basics.

Peter

PS -- "Converter" is different from your "inverter," which changes the 12-volt DC trailer battery power into 120-volt AC current to power items like toasters, hair curling irons and blow dryers, etc. [when you are not on shore power]. Again, your owner's manual has the basics.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Seeing as how you are from Texas and might camp in hot weather a lot more than I do you might ought to look at 3000 watts or so to make it "plug and play".

I only run my AC for a few hours a day and less than a dozen days a year. A Bambi does not take less power than any other Airstream and the Easy start might void your warranty on the AC and requires installation. Maybe put that money towards a bigger generator.

I run the frig on propane and the WH on propane. Do not know what yours runs on? 2200 is very close and you will have to be a management expert. The only downside to a bigger generator is the weight.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I’d still like to find a generator that isn’t that loud.
Search only for "inverter generators", not open frame construction type.
And, yes, any kind of baffle makes an improvement. What a lot of thoughtless campers do, having a noisy generator is to put it as far away from themselves, which means it's in someone else's campsite almost.

I could recommend the Honda EU3000is, because that's what I have, but if I were shopping, I'd look at the dual fuel Champion 3100 also. A good compromise between price and reliability.
Many will tell you to look for a small one, but I go the other way, bigger will allow you to run a couple things at once.
(I don' think the marginally larger Champion 3400/3500 is dual fuel. The 3100 also can be started from a key fob wirelessly.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote