Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2020, 08:33 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
So, if you are boondocking and plan to be on generator, your water heater, furnace and refrigerator will all be on propane. A small amount of DC power will be needed by each for control boards and fans.

A 2200 watt generator will run your A/C if you have equipped the A/C with an easy start system (lowers starting loads) but you will not have much left over. If you need to use the microwave or a hair dryer or other high demand appliance, you will need to secure your A/C.

A 3500 watt generator will give you a lot more flexibility but at the cost of greater weight and fuel consumption.

If I was starting from scratch, I think I would take the advice posted above and get a Champion Inverter Dual Fuel 3500 and try to run it solely on propane. I presently have a 12 year old Honda 2000i with almost a thousand hours on it — it starts on the first pull and purrs like a kitten so I can’t justify replacing it...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Seeing as how you are from Texas and might camp in hot weather a lot more than I do you might ought to look at 3000 watts or so to make it "plug and play".
THIS....

For 6 months out of the year, we find that the AC runs nonstop when camping in The Lonestar State. I'm currently developing a solar/generator strategy for my 30-footer right now, and I'm struggling with the dilemma of sizing for peak demand or sizing for nominal demand.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:39 AM   #23
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
If you are willing to invest a little money I suggest the Honda eu3000i. I have been using mind for 10 years with no problems at all. The Honda generator is permitted in the National Park Campgrounds. This generator will do everything you need or want. Maintenance is only changing the oil every 50 hours which you can do yourself. Good luck on your decision.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:04 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Renton , Washington
Good Day!

I have the 2017 22fb and I just love this Generac 2200i quiet generator. When used with the soft start added to my AC (your AC may already be equipped with something similar) I am all set.

I have enough power for AC, lights and TV. But not the microwave at the same time as the AC.

Plus it sits nice and securely on the Torklift locking generator basket in the back.

Enjoy the journey!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190316_120700.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	366027  
Glampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Honda makes a 2200 camo model. Cuz that Honda Red really stands out. I have an Easy Start on my A/C and SOB 2000 generator. My buddy made me a deal I could not refuse on an orange generator. Quieter than a Honda and that was the lagniappe.

Sjohn
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:21 AM   #26
SilverFire

2007 19' Bambi
EUGENE , OR
Generator options

Lots of excellent advice and input. The Honda EU3000 offers significantly more power and is slightly quieter than the new Honda EU2200 and EU2000, however, it is significantly heavier and bulkier. Nothing is perfect. There are propane conversion kits available for Hondas too.

The older EU2000 is quieter than the newer EU2200 (which has also had 2 recalls in the last 12 months). The newer Honda EU2200 is relatively loud when not in Eco mode (which will not run a microwave alone or the AC without an Easy-start).

All generators are too loud if your neighbor or guests are in tents. Many consider Champion and other loud brand generators obnoxious.

Honda is very proactive in contacting you for any recall or factory warranty repair (excellent customer service and coordination of recall repairs). Like their car engines, if maintained, Hondas has been proven to be very reliable long term designs.
SilverFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:26 AM   #27
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Best money I ever spent was for our Champion 3400 dual fuel. We run only on LP. runs every thing on our AS with no problems.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #28
BoatnutG2

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2023 23' Flying Cloud
2013 Interstate Coach
Huntington Beach , California
Go camping a few times in state parks where there are a variety of hookups( none, 15A, 30A, 50A). See what your usage would be. See what others are using and continue your research, there are many fine comments in this thread and technology/products are always changing. According to Captain Ron "if its going to happen its going to happen out there" get out there use your trailer then you will have a better idea of how you will be using it or "wish " to use it. I'm still out on the decision, our solar panels and propane keep up with everything we need and we rarely run our AC if we can help it.
BoatNutG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
If you need something to run everything, but not at the same time, and you have an EasyStart, the EU2000 has worked for us. The EU 2200 would be a bit better and still manageable weight wise.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:21 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
Best money I ever spent was for our Champion 3400 dual fuel. We run only on LP. runs every thing on our AS with no problems.
This has been our experience as well. We also like this one because it can be used at home to power some things during hurricane season. For reference, here is a link to this Champion on Amazon. This unit is an inverter generator - not an open frame REALLY LOUD one. Shop around for the best price.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3400...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 04-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
If you are running your AC off of a Honda 2200, you are just about maxed out and can't run anything else on your generator. Also, above 4 or 5 thousand feet of elevation, a Honda 2200 will not run a 15000 btu AC even with an EasyStart. I'm not sure about smaller ACs. If running the AC is a main requirement, then don't get anything less than a 3500 watt generator. I'm going to buy a second Honda 2200 this summer since I usually camp above 5000ft. I trust Hondas, but I sure like the specs on the Westinghouse igen 4500. I just might sell my Honda and buy one of those.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane74 View Post
This will sound really crazy to you guys, but I’m a drummer and have an old plexiglass shield that I don’t really use. To those who don’t know that I’m talking about, it’s basicaly four pieces of plexiglass on hinges made to go in front of a drum kit to keep stage volumes down when drums get too loud. I plan on putting it in front of the generator but I’d still like to find a generator that isn’t that loud.
😂

Honda 2000i, UScarb dual fuel conversion. 13yrs SFSG.
Great CS and dealer network.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lPJyDJ7-1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	366041   Click image for larger version

Name:	LIQUID STAINLESS STEEL 281.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	690.3 KB
ID:	366042  

Old 04-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
(I don' think the marginally larger Champion 3400/3500 is dual fuel. The 3100 also can be started from a key fob wirelessly.)
I was wrong! Mark your calendars!
The Champion 3500 is now dual fuel and now has the remote start fob! Winner!
My Honda EU3000is is heavy, and gas only, and doesn't have a remote, but boy is it a fine machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFire View Post
Many consider Champion and other loud brand generators obnoxious.
Champion makes some loud construction generators (cheap) and some inverter generators, they even use the 30 amp RV plug.
I've never heard complaints about their inverter generators being obnoxious.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:55 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
North-Central , Florida
Champion inverter 3400 dual fuel works great for us. Plenty of power for AC plus other and nearly as quiet as smaller SOB 2400’s.
djbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Champion 3500 Dual Fuel Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartsDad View Post
My choice is the Champion Dual Fuel Inverter Generator. Run it on Propane so you don't have to mess with carrying gasoline when traveling or gumming up the carburetor if it happens to sit for long periods without use. Carry one or two 20# tanks. Refilling or exchanges pretty easy to find. They make a 3500W for Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, and Camping World. They make a 3400W for other retailers, but from everything I can tell, they are the same.
I second everything stated. We have had our 3500 for 2 years. Propane use only. Runs everything on our 2019 25 Flying Cloud. No need to ration power. Crank up the A/C and use whatever else want. Great Genset.

We live in an area prone to power outages. We just plug in the AS and continue on.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Problem is that Champion also makes cheap ‘contractor type’ open frame dual fuel generators that are NOT inverter generators. Those ARE obnoxious beyond belief.
Had to get a generator last year as a hurricane was bearing down (Florida life!), and the only one I could find was an open-frame contractor job, by Champion, 4,500 starting watts.

I pulled it out of the garage a few minutes ago, to give it some run time and to hook it up to the 19-footer to run the AC (don't want the AC to sit there too long without seeing some action).

You are right. Dang, is it loud! Had to use my chainsaw ear mitts just to be around the thing.

Cranked right up, though, on the second pull, after sitting there in the garage for months. So, thumbs up, Champion.

If I can determine that a Honda 2200 will run my 19's AC, then I will sell this one and get the Honda, even though the $$$, for the benefit of my neighbors. They haven't said anything, but I know they hate it when I fire this monster up, especially in the post-storm no-power-so-windows-are-open times.

Or maybe another brand's dual fuel. I really want to use propane, not gasoline, to power the generator.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Settled on a Honda 2200 with the Hutch Mountain propane adapter. The newer Dometic ACs now have their own EasyStart technology, if not it is highly recommended to add an EasyStart. If you want to run 2 ACs either you get the twin Honda 2200 unit, or a larger (and heavier) generator. In our case running one 15000btu Dometic AC does the job (but we avoid the over 100 degree weather). Finally, with our solar system, beyond running the AC in hot weather, we don't use the generator much, our battery bank covers all other needs- we are quiet neighbors!
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Quartzsite , Arizona
I bought the Cabela's Champion 3400 dual-fuel last year and very pleased with it. (It was on sale) Run on propane ONLY for previously stated reasons, eventhough less output (3150 vs. 3400), but not been a problem. Ran gen. on echo mode and got about 16 hours out of a 9lb. bottle of propane. Just bought a couple larger botttles, so should be able to run quite a bit longer. No problem running 15k AC. Was able to run micro as well once AC had cooled trailer. Have since had Easy Start installed, so should be less of a problem.
Had a front hitch receiver installed on my 2015 Chevy 2500 gas engine truck and used a TorkLift tray inserted into it, then mounted gen. onto it. Comes with a very sturdy/secure locking system. Ran AS 30amp power cord (located at rear of my 31ft. 1998 Excella 1000) w/25ft. extension to generator and plugged directly into 30amp receptacle. Truck acted as a sound barrier, so couldn't hear gen. at all. Used in National Forest in Montana and no complaints... CARB compliant... important to make sure whatever you buy is such. Saved space in bed of truck and didn't have to lift in and out once mounted on tray. Used a Champion soft cover while traveling and not using when parked. Lasted for a year. Contemplating having a "box" built, but not sure about running the gen. in the box. Hitch and tray bought through etrailer.com and had installed by welding shop that did hitches... paid around $150 for install. Currently have a 2019 Ram 3500 diesel. Different shop ordered a Drawtite brand and first front hitch did not fit, eventhough they were told it would. Seems Dodge made some kind of change to frontend, so have to wait for hitch manufacturer to catch up. Therefore, MAKE DOUBLE SURE you order one that works. Happy Camping!
Pastor Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:36 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
In my experience there are a lot of people out there with Honda generators who are not as considerate as they could be with their generator use because they think it is “quiet”. Honda’s are perhaps slightly quieter than some other models, but please don’t get the idea they are in any way quiet. No generator is quiet and their prolonged use can quickly get obnoxious to other people. And the more remote of an area you are in, the farther the generator drone can be heard.
A solar suitcase can be a great companion to a generator and can meet much of your energy needs depending on the season and area you are camping. They can also quickly pay for themselves in the fuel you’ll save.
Just something to consider when selecting a generator and thinking of how you plan to use it.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane74 View Post
I’m gonna be needing a generator to run my 30 amp 2020 Bambi 22fb and I really need some good advise here. What’s a great generator to buy? I’ll need it to run my air conditioner, heat, TV....well I guess everything.
Champion dual fuel 3000watt.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote