Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2005, 05:00 PM   #1
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Mystery Wires

Hi, Quick question...

I opened up the wall next to the entry door because I'm getting ready to do a deadbolt installation (as per RickStream's awsome guide: http://www.airforums.com/forum...light=deadbolt ). Under the wall I found 2 wires...a pink and a pink w/blue stripe. They both have rubber connectors on the end. I often see that people have switches in this location but are mine switch wires or what?

Thanks for any help that you can offer,

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	11062  
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Tip ...

That is a great guide for installation.

When I installed my deadbolt and needed to mark the door for precise location and fine tuning of the strike of the bolt, I found red lipstick to be quite effective and it transfered well.

On the wires, sorry ... not a clue, could only guess.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Those wires are for the light over the door if you have one. One is a 12 VDC feed, and the other runs up to the light.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:56 AM   #4

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
Those wires are for the light over the door if you have one. One is a 12 VDC feed, and the other runs up to the light.
NK64,

Do you mean hot and ground? Or it's where a switch would go...switched hot?

Thanks,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
Old 03-21-2005, 07:00 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
NK64,

Do you mean hot and ground? Or it's where a switch would go...switched hot?
It is switched hot. Most of the 12 VDC is that way since it is a common ground system. There would be a switch there if the trailer had the light. Airstream normally ran the wires whether or not they installed the light. On some models it was an option.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:08 AM   #6

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
It is switched hot....
That's great. I'll start looking for a light to install there

THANKS!

Steve
Old 03-21-2005, 07:08 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Mine had the 12v lead up in the top of the roof, where the antenae is, for a powered (amplified) antenae that was still years in the future! I suppose I could run a wire down from there to a light over the door. It would make things a lot brighter on those dark and stormy nights, I would recommend a yellow bulb to minimize bugs.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:11 AM   #8

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
I suppose I could run a wire down from there to a light over the door, it would make things a lot brighter on those dark and stormy nights...
Terry,

Are you sure it's not already there like mine?

Steve
Old 03-21-2005, 07:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I have a related question. My trailer came with a (small) deadbolt hole cut in the door. The other thread says you can't place a deadbolt in the door (depth too narrow)--though I believe I've seen something like this on trailers. Is there any kind of deadbolt I can put there? Since my camera was stolen from the trailer last fall, I'd like to secure it.

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
Terry,

Are you sure it's not already there like mine?

Steve
Nope, nary a wire over the door. Mine seems to have been a prototype for many little things, like steel bows instead of aluminum, this wiring thing, non-standard windows, a much higher GVW than any other Argosy 20 I have seen, etc.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Airstreams and Deadbolt Locks

Greetings Mary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
I have a related question. My trailer came with a (small) deadbolt hole cut in the door. The other thread says you can't place a deadbolt in the door (depth too narrow)--though I believe I've seen something like this on trailers. Is there any kind of deadbolt I can put there? Since my camera was stolen from the trailer last fall, I'd like to secure it.

Mary
The acceptability and techniques involved in deadbolt lock installations on Airstreams vary by era. In fact, the deadbolt lock was factory equipment on my '64 Overlander International - - its door handle was a standard passage set with no lock (the modern replacement does have a lockset). I believe that the coaches for which the advice against deadbolts is given date from the 1970s and later. After several years of issues with the passage handle (it finally fell apart), and difficulties with the lock cylinder on the original deadbolt, my favorite Airstream dealer, Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa installed a new handset and deadbolt that required no modification to the original openings. I have attached photos of the deadbolt as well as the door edge.

I suspect that a deadbolt lockset was probably a factory option for your '61 - - I know that it was definitely an option available on the '64s.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deadbolt_supercloseup-med.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	11113   Click image for larger version

Name:	locksets_door_edge_view-med.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	11114