Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Barbara , California
Exclamation Mystery Electricity when on store and batteries disconnected!

I have a brand new 2021 23' Globetrotter with one solar panel and two "lithium" Batteries. We spent two nights in it on shore power. When we got home we put it on "store" to shut everything down. The problem is that all the electricity still worked. We called service and they said to disconnect both lithium batteries which we did and still the lights still work. It has been over a week and I still have electricity. Does anybody know what could be going on?
jacquipage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Are you plugged in to shore power?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquipage View Post
I have a brand new 2021 23' Globetrotter with one solar panel and two "lithium" Batteries. We spent two nights in it on shore power. When we got home we put it on "store" to shut everything down. The problem is that all the electricity still worked. We called service and they said to disconnect both lithium batteries which we did and still the lights still work. It has been over a week and I still have electricity. Does anybody know what could be going on?
Welcome to the forum.

What does your owner's manual say about the Use/Store switch, and about shore power continuing to supply 120v alternating current to the converter/battery charger, and all 120v circuits, even on "Store?"?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:58 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Assuming your aren't plugged in to shore power, which I'm guessing you are not if you are asking about this, may I ask, is the trailer outside? If so it sounds like the solar panel is providing real-time energy to the 12V system...enough to run the lights, which require very little power. The charge controller is wired to the negative and positive 12v bus bars, which are ahead of the batteries. The Use/Store switch takes the batteries offline, but not the solar panel charge controller. So even with the switch in 'store' mode and the batteries out, the controller can energize the system.

Go out after dark (or cover the solar panel with a towel). The power will suddenly disappear. If not, check back in here. The only other thing would be if the trailer were plugged in to the tow vehicle and drawing power from the TV's battery, but I'm guessing you aren't plugged in to the TV. So it's option one that's happening. In that case, feel free to reattach the batteries, leave the battery switch in "store" position, and turn off any lights and any other 12V items (radio, water pump, refrigerator, etc.) The propane detector will draw a tiny amount of power still (it's always on if the batteries are attached) but your solar panel will keep the batteries charged.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
It doesn't say anything. I am scratching my head...
Old 10-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I will check that tonight. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I am not plugged into shore power.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquipage View Post
I am not plugged into shore power.

You are just getting power production from the solar panel then. It'll vanish after dark. Or, if you go out now and turn on the lights, and the radio, then a roof fan, then the other....you'll see the lights will likely dim and/or the radio will start to stutter or the fans won't run, etc. The panel won't have enough power to run all that.

If you try that test and it goes like I said, then you'll then find that when the sun sets the mystery power will be gone.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:29 AM   #9
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We just did a simple install of lithium batteries and updated the charger/convertor. I installed a kill switch to disconnect the batteries from the AS. Just for fun I disconnect the batteries with the kill switch and turned the store/use switch to use AND everything still work!!!!!

My investigation discovered that the way airstream connects the solar system in fact powers the AS directly. So if you have sun you have power. (we have 200 watts on the roof) If you want to kill all power in the AS you have to either add a kill switch to the solar positive line that goes to the AS positive buss or rewire the solar controller to connect directly to your batteries. Airstream wired the system this way so that the entire system is aways powered via solar when the sun shines.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:39 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Assuming your aren't plugged in to shore power, which I'm guessing you are not if you are asking about this, may I ask, is the trailer outside? If so it sounds like the solar panel is providing real-time energy to the 12V system...enough to run the lights, which require very little power. The charge controller is wired to the negative and positive 12v bus bars, which are ahead of the batteries. The Use/Store switch takes the batteries offline, but not the solar panel charge controller. So even with the switch in 'store' mode and the batteries out, the controller can energize the system.

Go out after dark (or cover the solar panel with a towel). The power will suddenly disappear. If not, check back in here. The only other thing would be if the trailer were plugged in to the tow vehicle and drawing power from the TV's battery, but I'm guessing you aren't plugged in to the TV. So it's option one that's happening. In that case, feel free to reattach the batteries, leave the battery switch in "store" position, and turn off any lights and any other 12V items (radio, water pump, refrigerator, etc.) The propane detector will draw a tiny amount of power still (it's always on if the batteries are attached) but your solar panel will keep the batteries charged.
I checked the trailer last night and the lights were out. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
We just did a simple install of lithium batteries and updated the charger/convertor. I installed a kill switch to disconnect the batteries from the AS. Just for fun I disconnect the batteries with the kill switch and turned the store/use switch to use AND everything still work!!!!!

My investigation discovered that the way airstream connects the solar system in fact powers the AS directly. So if you have sun you have power. (we have 200 watts on the roof) If you want to kill all power in the AS you have to either add a kill switch to the solar positive line that goes to the AS positive buss or rewire the solar controller to connect directly to your batteries. Airstream wired the system this way so that the entire system is aways powered via solar when the sun shines.
Is it better to leave it as is or to add a kill switch?
Old 10-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #12
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
I left it the way airstream set it up (at least for the moment) as I am not up to taking apart half my lounge to get at the solar positive wire to add a second kill switch (winter is coming) ... I may add this in the spring - but it's "not necessary" according to the airstream dealer. The only reason I would install the second kill switch is I am a control freak and right now I am not in control of "who controls the power!!"
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:05 PM   #13
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
You are all correct. Airstream connects the solar panel/controller directly to the batteries. You need a good quality disconnect switch on: batteries, solar, and inverter/charger. That let's you stay stored almost indefinitely with lithiums.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #14
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Another way to kill the solar without installing a switch would be to move the positive wire from the controller from the positive bus, to the 'house' side of the use/store solenoid. This would kill the power from the controller to the battery when use/store switch is in 'store' position.

No reason to change anything though. Leave it like it is and if stored outside, your batteries will stay charged even with the use/store switch turned off. With Lithiums and some sunshine, the batteries should stay fully charged endlessly.