Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-10-2019, 07:03 AM   #141
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 13,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
Six pages making a mountain out of a mole hill.


SOP.

“ . . . Talk first, think later . . . “

__________________

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #142
Rivet Master
 
lsbrodsky's Avatar

 
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Better than a pile of melted AU...🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
AU is gold and it should be for the price. I hope you meant AL

Larry
__________________

lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #143
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,397
No one is born knowing everything (though I’ve met some folks who believe they were....). Hashing out a discussion to learn something shouldn’t be problematic. It’s something I love about the forums. I’m still trying to make up my own mind about this and appreciate everyone’s input....

If there is a risk of danger (mountain) that a simple device in these specific circumstances can alleviate - that’s a good thing. If it offers no protection from the issue and serves only to trick an EMS - then yeah - it’s a molehill. I’m still listening and learning - sorry if that’s ticking people off. If you know what you need to know - share it or just avoid the discussion altogether. Makes for a happier life
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #144
JDG
Riveted
 
JDG's Avatar
 
2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 124
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	342944 I have been following along and think I am starting to understand most of what is being said. Maybe. My question is with a Honda Industrial EB2000i, which has a GFI and is “ neutral bonded to the frame” , is it okay to plug into the Airstream without the bonding plug? If I understand correctly, it should be okay. When I test the generator with the plug-in device,which comes with an Airstream, I get the “correct” indication with the lights. I do have a 50 Amp EMS but I don’t use it with the generator mostly because of the size of the EMS an number of adapters I would have to use. Comments?
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #145
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,469
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
AU is gold and it should be for the price. I hope you meant AL

Larry
$$$$$=AS+AL=AU🤔

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
"Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory."
Molly Ivins

"Worry...a brain exercise done when it really wants to sleep"
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #146
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
Attachment 342944 I have been following along and think I am starting to understand most of what is being said. Maybe. My question is with a Honda Industrial EB2000i, which has a GFI and is “ neutral bonded to the frame” , is it okay to plug into the Airstream without the bonding plug? If I understand correctly, it should be okay. When I test the generator with the plug-in device,which comes with an Airstream, I get the “correct” indication with the lights. I do have a 50 Amp EMS but I don’t use it with the generator mostly because of the size of the EMS an number of adapters I would have to use. Comments?
Yes. That generator needs no bonding plug. The bond is built in (hence the working GFCI plug on it.)
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #147
New Member
 
2019 22' Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Terrible and scary. I’m so sorry. Hope it is resolved soon.
Doc10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:32 AM   #148
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Hagerstown , Maryland
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 36
Everyone. Yup, It's Mike Sokol from RVelectricity and the No~Shock~Zone again. Would any of you happen to have pictures of how the power at Alumapalooza was run? I'm especially curious to see how the 20-amp circuit was split to multiple RV's as noted in the very first thread on this post. Thanks....



You can post them here or email mike (at) noshockzone (dot) org. Mike Sokol
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:05 AM   #149
Rivet Master
 
turk123's Avatar

 
2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post
Everyone. Yup, It's Mike Sokol from RVelectricity and the No~Shock~Zone again. Would any of you happen to have pictures of how the power at Alumapalooza was run? I'm especially curious to see how the 20-amp circuit was split to multiple RV's as noted in the very first thread on this post. Thanks....



You can post them here or email mike (at) noshockzone (dot) org. Mike Sokol
I don't have any specific pictures, but I believe I know how it was run. They had a main breaker box with many 20 amp breakers. They ran white electrical wire on the ground to a pole holding 2 dual-plug electrical receptacles in a metal box. That provided four trailers with a 20 amp circuit. There were 42 trailers in the field, but at least 10-12 were in the generator section with no power. 30 trailers hooked to the electrical system. I was told it was a 20 amp circuit but I can not verify this. We were told we had 3 amps to use. The host said it was a 20 amp circuit. They threw a 5-gallon bucket over the plugs to keep them dry.
__________________
x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:39 AM   #150
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Hagerstown , Maryland
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I don't have any specific pictures, but I believe I know how it was run. They had a main breaker box with many 20 amp breakers. They ran white electrical wire on the ground to a pole holding 2 dual-plug electrical receptacles in a metal box. That provided four trailers with a 20 amp circuit. There were 42 trailers in the field, but at least 10-12 were in the generator section with no power. 30 trailers hooked to the electrical system. I was told it was a 20 amp circuit but I can not verify this. We were told we had 3 amps to use. The host said it was a 20 amp circuit. They threw a 5-gallon bucket over the plugs to keep them dry.

When you say "white electrical wire" do you mean some kind of solid conductor Romex wire like you would run inside the walls of your house or RV?
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #151
Rivet Master
 
turk123's Avatar

 
2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post
When you say "white electrical wire" do you mean some kind of solid conductor Romex wire like you would run inside the walls of your house or RV?


yes, romeo.
__________________
x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #152
Rivet Master
 
2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
Six pages making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Would it be a mole hill if it was your trailer that had components fried, and an electrified skin?
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:15 AM   #153
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Hagerstown , Maryland
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Would it be a mole hill if it was your trailer that had components fried, and an electrified skin?
I agree. This appears to be a pretty serious code violation. I’m investigating it further.
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:27 AM   #154
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,059
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Would it be a mole hill if it was your trailer that had components fried, and an electrified skin?
Yes.it was a problem, it was solved, it now has devolved into a generator grounding thread.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:11 AM   #155
Rivet Master
 
66Overlander's Avatar
 
1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,558
Images: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post
I agree. This appears to be a pretty serious code violation. I’m investigating it further.
Without examining the actual parts involved in the incident, how do you determine that it was a code violation and not a simple component failure/fault in the parts involved. A multipoint fault, while rare, is possible.
__________________
Joe
Wally Byam Caravan Club International Historian
Vintage Airstream Club Historian
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:35 PM   #156
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Hagerstown , Maryland
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Without examining the actual parts involved in the incident, how do you determine that it was a code violation and not a simple component failure/fault in the parts involved. A multipoint fault, while rare, is possible.
Running Romex solid conductor wire on the ground is a serious code violation. Using non-weatherproof boxes on the ground with buckets over top is a code violation. Running 20-amp outlets outside without GFCI protection is a code violation. Virtually everything that was described is in direct violation with the NEC and would NEVER have passed even a rudimentary inspection by the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction).

Do I need to go on?
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:41 AM   #157
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,059
Blog Entries: 2
Codes vary per state.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:56 AM   #158
Rivet Master
 
turk123's Avatar

 
2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post
Running Romex solid conductor wire on the ground is a serious code violation. Using non-weatherproof boxes on the ground with buckets over top is a code violation. Running 20-amp outlets outside without GFCI protection is a code violation. Virtually everything that was described is in direct violation with the NEC and would NEVER have passed even a rudimentary inspection by the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction).

Do I need to go on?
Wow! If Airstream is going to supply the wiring for this event, they probably should look into a more permanent solution. When I went to adjust my hitch, I got knocked backward from a jolt as I grabbed the ProPride head to straighten it. I'm told that could have been worse.

The gentlemen who set up the wiring were from Airstream's maintenance department. Electricians? I do not know. Airstream IS the town. They may get away with a lot when it comes to having inspections for things like this. I would not be able to do this without an inspection in my town.

I am going to make Airstream Life aware of this issue just so they can protect future shows from problems like this.
__________________
x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #159
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,059
Blog Entries: 2
I am sure if you complain enough this event will end. Is that what is wanted? One personpulling too many amps because he cannot follow instructions.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #160
Rivet Master
 
turk123's Avatar

 
2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
I am sure if you complain enough this event will end. Is that what is wanted? One personpulling too many amps because he cannot follow instructions.
I sent the editor an email not to complain or ask for reimbursement, but to let him know that this issue could be the downfall of an event like this. This is how a lot of Airstream events are set up. It probably is better for him to revisit this wiring before more damage is done or someone gets hurt. An injury or death is not the time to react to this. Out of the five trailers damaged, not one person was vindictive or angry over the incident. Airstream stepped up to the plate and covered everyone. No one wants to shut this event down.

My email was very positive. I can post it here if you like! Well, maybe after he reads it.
__________________

__________________
x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No power to trailer from shore or batteries. Converter fried? MarkHB Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 7 07-09-2017 04:47 PM
Fried hot water heater diode jimlegs 2006 Safari SE 12 09-09-2012 10:36 AM
Fried trailer wires Monicaro Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 3 06-28-2011 04:08 PM
Breaker for running lights got fried dickmfield Lights - Interior & Exterior 2 05-06-2010 02:05 PM
Power hitch jack - fried? Toasty's Dad Hitches, Couplers & Balls 9 02-06-2006 10:26 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.