Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2021, 04:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
And then there are users who take more than their fair share.

Couple of years ago camped at a MO state park at Truman Lake area.
Memorial Day weekend, and it was unseasonably warm in the 95 degree daytime range.

All night long our ems was popping off and on and saving our compressor on our AC.

We heard anecdotally that the whole campground had been down a bit during the heat of the day.

Well, in walking the campground --it was at full capacity +

+people doubling up having 2 families at one site
+50 amp rigs plugged in, + their garage refrigerator full of cold beer that they brought in the truck plugged into the power pole
+ the all-night sound system playing, plugged in of course

So not only did they have their 50 amp dual ACs going, they had a bunch of other stuff drawing power on the pole too.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Electrical Management System

Jack
So, a surge protector.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Surge protector plus. Just surge protection will not help against low voltage or sudden on off's.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:30 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Surge protector: Clamps the voltage on the feed line to reduce the impact of voltage spikes. Most start to cut in around 800V on a 120V circuit. All have a limited capacity to absorb a spike.

EMS: Adds features beyond surge ( which it also does ). Monitors the input voltage and cuts off the RV if it is to high or to low. Also cuts of the RV if spikes are present. Most have a timer that keeps things powered down for a while. This makes A/C compressors a bit more happy. It also protects against repeat events (which are quite common). The better versions of EMS also have readouts so you can see the voltage and current being used. If you have a 50A setup they will check for an open neutral.

Two very different items at very different price points.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:16 AM   #25
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
My Progressive EMS did it's job on my recent 10 day new Mexico trip. We had reservations at one campground for 5 days, as soon as we hooked up the EMS shut us down. Turns out voltage was low and got as low as 98 at one point. Got a refund and packed out of there. In Santa Fe we encountered another problem at a very nice campground, open ground. I confirmed it with my test equipment (I am a licensed sparky) but unfortunately my attempt to report it to the owner and even an offer to look at it with no charge to him was met with hostility as he snapped "first I've heard of it in 20 years!" and "nobody else ever had a problem". This campground had a number of Airstreams staying which is concerning as the all metal skin of the Airstream is especially susceptible to lethal "touch voltage".
I would sooner leave my spare tire home than my EMS.