Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
My first warranty issue after three weeks--faulty shore power receptacle.

So we took our new 2012 25FB Flying Cloud out for another "shake down" trip this weekend and had a problem. I connected the 30 amp shore power to the rear power receptacle and everything ran fine for around 12 hours. We then lost all 120V power. The blue light on the receptacle cover was still illuminated, no circuit breakers were tripped and no fuses blew but--no shore power. I moved the power cable to the front receptacle and power was restored. The next day I moved the power cable back to the rear receptacle and it worked as well.

I called the dealership service department today and learned that ours is not the first unit with this problem. Apparently both receptacles feed a junction box under the bed. The problem is either in the junction box or the wiring leading to a receptacle itself.

I was surprised to find so many forum/blog posts concerning new Airstreams requiring warranty work and hoped ours wouldn't be one of them. But, alas, I have my first appointment after less than one month of ownership. Wish me luck!
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Keswick , Ontario
My bet is that you have a faulty automatic transfer switch. This is a common problem on the 2012s. There are several threads on this topic in the forum. Many folks have concluded that this particular component is either under sized or sub par quality. I recommend you read up on these complaints and push on airstream to replace with a more suitable more reliable ATS. Or you risk having another failure on the same component.
Mifair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
Canora , Saskatchewan
2009 warranty issues

We have a 2009 28' Flying Cloud. Right from new we also had a faulty transfer switch.We had quite a few other warranty issues so we took a trip to the mothership and had all of the issues corrected at Jackson Center.
MervM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
Thank you, guys, for the input. You both reinforce what the service department finally admitted yesterday. This type of info is why I love the forum.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Looks like you already have a handle on the cause of the problem. Here is a link to a thread where this problem was discussed. There are more than one. Just go to the search feature and Google "automatic transfer switch", and you'll find a wealth of information. Welcome to the forums, and good luck with your first warranty issue.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...r-93065-4.html
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
Well, I had the faulty transfer switch changed out under warranty at Toscano RV in Los Banos, CA. The old one, which even smelled like burned electronics, was replaced by a Parallax ATS-301. I must say that the service I received at Toscano, especially Warranty Manager Bobby Souza, was outstanding. They were great even though I bought the trailer elsewhere. Now let's see if this unit lasts longer. It is stamped with a 40 amp limit instead of 30 amps. If this unit fails I plan on replacing it with a manual selector switch.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Electrical

We have a 2012 Flying Cloud 25FB with twin beds. The transfer switch failed which apparently happens more then it should. I took the trailer to the dealer and they replaced the switch. When I got the trailer back home I opened the area under the curb side twin bed to familiarize my self with the electrical components including the transfer switch. If the transfer switch should fail again and I cannot easily get to a dealer for warranty replacement I feel I can wire around the switch with out too much effort using wire nuts.
I feel my long term solution is to replace the transfer switch with a manual one. I will do this when my electrical warranty runs out.
When I was looking at the electrical components I found our inverter (not converter) had been attached to a 1/2 plywood bulkhead under the bed. The 2 small screws holding the inverter had come out and the inverter way laying on top of a bunch of wires. Not good!!! Rather then drive the 120 mile round trip to our dealer I reattached the inverter to the bulkhead with 4 - 1/4 inch through bolts. This inverter is an option so not all trailers have one.
Phil
Scaler113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
Phil,

One thing I find intriguing is how the majority of the threads on this issue are from 2012 25' FBs. It appears that we chose poorly and Airstream has produced an entire line of faulty units. I wonder how long it is until one of us turns out to be an attorney and they file a class action on this issue.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Looks like an issue I may soon "enjoy"
unless upgraded parts hit before January.

subscribed
Old 11-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
We also have a 2012 25fb FC and as of yet we have had no trouble after 7 outings this year, altough ours was one of the last model year made. Maybe Airstream made a change mid year production. Could some post a picture of wht the ATS looks like? I have looked at the electrical setup and am unable to ID it.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
Castaway,

I didn't think to get a photo of my ATS but it was a box, approx. 2"x5"x6" formed by two pieces of formed sheet metal. Yours should look similar with two electrical cables protruding. Mine was located directly and immediately behind the circuit breaker/fuse panel.