Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
saucier , Mississippi
mounting generator

Hi everyone i have a new idea to mount my genset please tell me what u think i plan on mounting it on the street side in front of the reefer between the reefer and the couch bed combo the gererator weight is 250lbs it will sit over the frame i will buils a cover and place a louverd vent on the outside for fresh air inlet for the genset it is a onan 4000 rv any feedback would be great
clinton2292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Why so much power? That's alot of fumes to get out of the trailer and then keep from getting back in. And you will need access to put gas in or is it Propane?
Nevertheless it would seem that airflow, heat, noise, and keeping it from levitating when you hit a bump would be the issues at hand.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
saucier , Mississippi
it is an rv generator it is made to mount in a closed compartment with air inlet and air out is ducted and the exhaust runs out to a muffler
Old 09-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
THIS, or that........

Clinton -

I guess that I would have a question going into this possible install, and it would be - WHY??

There are SO MANY other viable options for powering your TT - ones that offer plenty of power, plenty of other possible uses, and yet can be brought to power anything/ everything on your TT when you need it.

AND they don't involve a hard point install that robs your TT of valuable interior space, could potentially constitute a hazard, and leave you essentially with a single use device.

Guess that takes me back to the ..... why?

Check the Eu2000/Yami threads for alternatives. There are plenty of threads that contemplate this idea you have, and few wound up going that way, simply because it is TOO LIMITING in so many ways.

Now, I am NOT saying that the idea isn't viable, workable, or even needed in your particular situation..... but there is still the 'why?' at this end.... oh, and you did ask for thoughts.... These are mine.

Enlighten me.....

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Interesting concept. Some random thoughts...

We had an Onan 4000 in (well, actually "under") the small motor home we used to have prior to the Bambi. It was surprisingly quiet from inside and from outside. We could hear it when inside, but since it was below the floor of the motor home noise inside was further minimized. This might be different if it's mounted inside a compartment that takes in interior space. Are you going to insulate the compartment to keep down the noise...and the heat? That would probably be something to think some about...

On the motorhome, the exhaust was through a pipe exiting below the outside wall and extending 6 or 7 inches streetside. On an AS, exiting through a port something like that used for a furnace exhaust might work, but it would be necessary to have the exhaust system designed so that the fumes can't get back into the compartment...or into the interior of the AS. Carbon monixide is sneaky.

The other thing to consider is vibration from the unit... minimizing that would be a good thing. I don't recall a lot of vibration from the motorhome...I presume it was solidly bolted to the frame.

You didn't say how the generater is fueled...on the motorhome, it used gas from the motorhome's gas tank...in a trailer that would have to be differnent...a propane conversion might be nice, if it can be done, so that it's automatically fueled.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
saucier , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy View Post
Clinton -

I guess that I would have a question going into this possible install, and it would be - WHY??

There are SO MANY other viable options for powering your TT - ones that offer plenty of power, plenty of other possible uses, and yet can be brought to power anything/ everything on your TT when you need it.

AND they don't involve a hard point install that robs your TT of valuable interior space, could potentially constitute a hazard, and leave you essentially with a single use device.

Guess that takes me back to the ..... why?

Check the Eu2000/Yami threads for alternatives. There are plenty of threads that contemplate this idea you have, and few wound up going that way, simply because it is TOO LIMITING in so many ways.

Now, I am NOT saying that the idea isn't viable, workable, or even needed in your particular situation..... but there is still the 'why?' at this end.... oh, and you did ask for thoughts.... These are mine.

Enlighten me.....

Axel
SilverToy

The main reason i want ti install it is because i have it and it is one less thing to deal with hauling around when we go camping i also have a honda em7000is portable genset but it is very heavy and you haft to keep it covered if it rains when you are camping just want the easy no hassle of hitting a button and powering up as far as noise the gen is very quiet and rubber mounted so noise and vibs are to a min
Old 09-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Some of the "Why" is covered.... but....

Clinton -

So, if I am reading your reply right, it is simply because you have the gennie already, and are looking to not have to haul the 7000iU around (or similar) so the 'logical' answer seems to be to install the Onan.... sound right?

I guess, if you can forgo the interior space in your TT, can successfully install the gennie in a cost effective way with no venting issues, no vibration issues, and no fuel issues - you are home free. However, it still leaves you with considerable and numerous issues to overcome - wiring, hard scape install issues, venting, fuel line questions, heat problems, not to mention the weight question. There would likely be serious upgrades needed to the frame in the area in question. I simply don't think that any concept such as this was considered when the frame was modeled and constructed at the factory. "Vibra-trailer" anyone? Not that that would be a bad thing.....

Now again, all this does not mean that it can't work. However, I would SERIOUSLY consider going a different route to achieve the same objective.

My .02 cents. Appreciate the thought provoking thread!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinton2292 View Post
Hi everyone i have a new idea to mount my genset please tell me what u think i plan on mounting it on the street side in front of the reefer between the reefer and the couch bed combo the gererator weight is 250lbs it will sit over the frame i will buils a cover and place a louverd vent on the outside for fresh air inlet for the genset it is a onan 4000 rv any feedback would be great
Hi, clinton. I understand where you are coming from. I have owned two Onans. First one was an old 6.5 KW. It was OK for what it was, but that's all. My next Onan was a Marquis 7.0 KW; It was super quiet and smooth running compared to the old 6.5 Onan. The 4.0 Onan would be great for a small motorhome, but way too heavy for an Airstream trailer. I actually was considering installing an Onan 4000 under my Lincoln Navigator where my spare tire is, but now I have another possible weight problem and where would I, now, put my spare tire? I personally went round and round for quite a while before buying a Yamaha 2400 for use with my trailer and even if I had room, at 70 lbs, trying to mount it would be a problem. [it will remain portable] Your Onan, with about twice the power, weighs about 3-1/2 times as much as my Yamaha. Next would be the fuel supply?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
I had an Onan 4k BFA at 300# mounted in an SOB just forward of the right wheel well and underneath the fridge. It worked very well. Fuel was from a tank on the tongue and exhaust went under the rig and up the left side.

I have a microlite in the B-Van now but at 2.8 kw it is a bit underpowered for some things. It was also mis-installed so the exhaust cooling air port restricted air flow. If your 4kw is like my BFA, you will need to pay particular attention to making sure the air flow for both inlet and outlet is sufficient for proper cooling. Like the microlite, the BFA exhausted cooling air around the engine exhaust pipe.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I installed a 3k Onan in my 1966 22ft. Safari. Once the propane tanks are turned on, push the button and you have power. The exhaust and oil is dealt with from the out-and-under. It can be found just behind the streetside wheel well and weights 113 lbs.

I can't believe anyone would question why I would have this kind of install, given that there are many threads out there regarding generators, but here are a few reasons:
1) I don't have to worry about someone stealing my genset
2) I don't have to unload it from my truck to get rid of noise (nor do I get in trouble with neighbors that might be closer to the generator than I).
3) It is VERY convenient - I don't have to do anything before or after transport, other than turn the gas on and off (which must be done for other appliances anyway).
4) It didn't cost much to install, since I already had things down to the frame.

Now really, how any of you would like all that convenience if you could ...?

If your genset weight is 250 lbs., you will want to counter it so your TT is not off balance side-to-side, but since you plan on mounting it between the axle and the front hitch, you shouldn't have to worry about skin stress.

I would also suggest placing it inside a fireproof steel box . . .

Visit my gallery for pictures . . .

I boondock often; my wife is able to curl her hair; and I can use the micro anytime I want!
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Vintage Kin Owner
Aylett , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem View Post
I installed a 3k Onan in my 1966 22ft. Safari. Once the propane tanks are turned on, push the button and you have power. The exhaust and oil is dealt with from the out-and-under. It can be found just behind the streetside wheel well and weights 113 lbs.

I can't believe anyone would question why I would have this kind of install, given that there are many threads out there regarding generators, but here are a few reasons:
1) I don't have to worry about someone stealing my genset
2) I don't have to unload it from my truck to get rid of noise (nor do I get in trouble with neighbors that might be closer to the generator than I).
3) It is VERY convenient - I don't have to do anything before or after transport, other than turn the gas on and off (which must be done for other appliances anyway).
4) It didn't cost much to install, since I already had things down to the frame.

Now really, how any of you would like all that convenience if you could ...?

If your genset weight is 250 lbs., you will want to counter it so your TT is not off balance side-to-side, but since you plan on mounting it between the axle and the front hitch, you shouldn't have to worry about skin stress.

I would also suggest placing it inside a fireproof steel box . . .

Visit my gallery for pictures . . .

I boondock often; my wife is able to curl her hair; and I can use the micro anytime I want!
Now that is a great looking trailer. I love the dark wood & aluminum accents. I missed the genny install pics though...
NoMoSOBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Go http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...imageuser=8174 for the pic . . . and related comments.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
saucier , Mississippi
thanks i am going to go ahead with the install as long as no one thinks i will have frame issues surley the frame is strong to hold 250lbs between the axles and the toung
Old 09-23-2008, 11:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Inland Andy has often said you can add as many outrigger frame sections as you want to... And a U-channel or two additional spars between the ladder frame to tie into would not hurt...
Old 09-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
saucier , Mississippi
thanks for all the help guys will post pics of the install
Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
saucier , Mississippi
First pics of install MySpace
Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
saucier , Mississippi
MySpace
Old 09-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Vintage Kin Owner
Aylett , Virginia
Sorry bud, that link doesn't work. Try using a flickr or photobucket account.
NoMoSOBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I jumped through the hoops and joined in order to view the link and got this message...

"This photo cannot be viewed because it has either been deleted or marked as private by the user. "
Old 09-26-2008, 03:55 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
saucier , Mississippi
sorry will try something different