Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #41
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Randy, glad to hear it. I love mine. As a distributor, in concert with their efforts to enter the Airstream world, you might suggest that they try a redesign to try shortening the length of the male outlet assembly by a quarter inch or so. With the back cover installed, I had to modify the inner skin on both my 23d and my 23FB. The rear of the unit contacted the inner skin, not allowing the front to be flush with the exterior. It seems on other models, this isn't an issue. Could be based on where the outlet is located and if the space between the skins is a bit wider in certain places. All I know is that mine was a total no-go without getting my Roto-Zip out on both of my applications to cut on the inside. In the case of my 23 FB, I actually had to cut a hole in the interior skin to allow the assembly to fit, and reroute the interior Romex, from being between the skins, to inside the trailer, attaching to the outlet that stuck into the trailer a quarter inch or so. Fortunately it was down under the closet floor, so not anywhere noticeable. But I could see someone encountering this and just sending it back.
I mentioned this to them today. They were unaware and wondered like you said it was isolated to a certain model or 2 since so many have already installed smartplug without any issues. The company is interested our thoughts and really appreciated the feedback. He actually had read this thread so they are paying attention! They did point out that they do send them direct to Airstream and had not heard this from them. Thanks for the feedback pcskier!
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm surprised Airstream doesn't have a backing plate (square of plywood) to stiffen the area around the power inlet. Same with the SP mod. I'd think the plug hanging on the skin would distort the aluminum.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #43
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'm surprised Airstream doesn't have a backing plate (square of plywood) to stiffen the area around the power inlet. Same with the SP mod. I'd think the plug hanging on the skin would distort the aluminum.

Plywood or thick plastic backer sounds good.

I’ve only tackled one power inlet repair to check the connections. But the holes in the AL were mucked up from previous attempt with sections of AL as new threads behind it. Lots of old caulk behind it made it nasty.

To get s strong bite for the screws I used Spring Nuts https://m.lowes.com/pl/Spring-nuts-N...are/4294710807 and a bit of sealant as the choices were loose or secure and a little exterior sealant.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
I did this upgrade 6 months ago. We have a 50-amp model so we needed the 50a receptacle. I also wanted the flexibility to use my 30 amp cord when needed. Alas, the receptacle's are different and there is no adapter between 30a and 50a. What I did was put a 50amp male on the end of my 30amp cord but made a mod for the 2nd leg that 50amp needs. Here is a blog entry about it:

https://www.casarodante.org/2018/02/...tplug-upgrade/
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dexter , Missouri
Excellent product. Did the swap last year and no regrets. Took about an hour to do it. Only hard part was getting the old one out.
Cdrmar is offline   Reply With Quote