Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Mighty Mini Questions

I'm at the point in my restoration where I'm getting the electrical schematic together (building it from scratch). After reading the many threads here on the Mighty Mini, I'm thinking it might be the fit for me. I do have a couple of questions I can't find the answers to, so looking for a little help:

Seeing as how I don't have a 30 amp outlet at my house, will this unit charge the battery if plugged into a 15 amp power source? Keep in mind, my trailer does NOT have a fridge or air conditioner, so I'd be using it to charge the battery and run small appliances when plugged into shore power only.

I will also be installing solar. Is it okay to have both this unit (hooked to shore power) and the solar controller up, running and connected to the battery at the same time, or should I install a battery cutoff switch between the solar controller and the battery?

Thanks!
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Sooooo...
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Yes you can plug it in a 15amp house circuit. The mighty mini spec page says it is capable of delivering 30amps at 120v AC to your trailer circuits (AC and DC loads combined). You have to keep the turned-on combined loads in the trailer below 15amp AC while plugged into your 15amp house circuit

DC: The 45amp model will deliver up to 45 amps DC and says it will draw 8.3 amps off your house circuit doing so - , so a 15amp outlet is plenty to run all your DC loads. If you turn on more DC loads than that, the AC breaker in the Mighty mini which feeds the converter, will trip

AC: The might mini's AC panel is rated at 30 amps max. You could therefore overload your 15 amp house circuit if you turn on too many AC and DC loads in your trailer. If you do, your house breaker will trip and you will have to shut something off in the trailer.

Practically speaking, your 15 amp house circuit will run a reasonable combination of AC and DC loads (including battery charging), without drawing more than 15 amps from your house. If you then turn on the air conditioner, your 15 amp house breaker will trip.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Yes you can plug it in a 15amp house circuit. The mighty mini spec page says it is capable of delivering 30amps at 120v AC to your trailer circuits (AC and DC loads combined). You have to keep the turned-on combined loads in the trailer below 15amp AC while plugged into your 15amp house circuit

DC: The 45amp model will deliver up to 45 amps DC and says it will draw 8.3 amps off your 120v AC house circuit doing so - , so a 15amp outlet is plenty to run all your DC loads. If you turn on more DC loads than that, the AC breaker in the Mighty mini which feeds the converter, will trip

AC: The might mini's AC panel is rated at 30 amps max. You could therefore overload your 15 amp house circuit if you turn on too many AC and DC loads in your trailer. If you do, your house breaker will trip and you will have to shut something off in the trailer.

Practically speaking, your 15 amp house circuit will run a reasonable combination of AC and DC loads (including battery charging), without drawing more than 15 amps from your house. If you then turn on the air conditioner, your 15 amp house breaker will trip.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
I am at the same planning stage for my 55fc. please try to upload your plans and pics of your install. There are several elect. engineers here who are very willing to help you with a safe and efficient install of your system.
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by calais66 View Post
Seeing as how I don't have a 30 amp outlet at my house, will this unit charge the battery if plugged into a 15 amp power source? Keep in mind, my trailer does NOT have a fridge or air conditioner, so I'd be using it to charge the battery and run small appliances when plugged into shore power only.
It will take the same amount of time to charge the battery whether you're plugged into 15amp or 30amp. The charger is limited in the amount of current it will draw.
Quote:
I will also be installing solar. Is it okay to have both this unit (hooked to shore power) and the solar controller up, running and connected to the battery at the same time, or should I install a battery cutoff switch between the solar controller and the battery?
Perfectly fine to have both connected. However, both will not charge the battery at the same time. The solar charge controller will see the charging voltage from the other charger and think that the battery is fully charged. Most solar charge controllers also include a blocking diode to make sure current doesn't back-feed through the solar panel from the other charger.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Disconnects (actually marine circuit breakers) are on the positive solar charge line for every one of my installations, as are disconnect switches on the positive line from the array to the solar controller.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Thanks, all! Much appreciated