Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My black box has more than just the umbilical run to it and a lot more wires going in and out. Mine is a positive junction block for quite a bit of stuff. Bold, to answer your question...I found no source for circuit descriptions nor schematics. So, one boring winter week, I just began isolating, labeling and cleaning up circuits. All my wiring in the electrical center now have plastic (ish) Brother P-touch brand labels wrapped around them. Not a quick easy answer for you, but it helps for future work.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I had issues with my 2015 23FB and called AS customer service, talked with a real nice lady and within 24 hrs I had the complete wiring diagrams for 120V & 12V, along with waste (grey & black) and fresh water plumbing in my in box.

BTW, Mickey has a full time job with Disney, Goofy on the other hand works part time for AS doing wiring I believe. ;-)
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Hampton , Virginia
We get just what we except, When the Germans/Japanese and other see what we are excepting they will come and clean our clocks both quality and cost wise.

I hope to get back to Jackson and let them clean up my warranty issues that should have never left the factory. Heaven know the FL dealer was not interested in doing there work under warranty unless I gave them 3 months to schedule.

Chuck
engineshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You went to the wrong dealer! Try jd Sanders in Alachua, fl. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Thank you Lew

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Sent BoldAdventure a PM with link to an older diagram.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:09 PM   #27
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thanks Switz, always a fountain of knowledge.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #28
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Well the camera on my iPhone broke. But I started wiring today. Got a few new pieces and I'll have to post up pictures when I'm done. Also, got a label maker!
Old 06-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #29
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Purchased two new bus bars, new grounding bar, bunch of new connectors and a 50 Amp circuit breaker I plan to wire inline from the battery.

Was planning on getting some new battery cables. Wondering if anyone know how much I'd need for the run. 5ft should do it right?

I figure, from battery to busbar 2 AWG and using a 1/0 awg to link the two batteries.

I believe that my AM Solar kit came with 6 awg duplex and I was thinking of running 4awg to the battery from the charge controller.

So add another 5 feet there.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:13 PM   #30
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Cool

Today's progress was cleaning up the OE wiring hack job. I have not finished the other portion as I keep adding more things into the mix. Right now I ordered new cable to replace the battery and run from the solar controller to the battery, and also purchased a 50 Amp marine grade circuit breaker from Blue Sea systems on advice of Lewster that once my new cable gets here will go between the battery and the rest of the electrical.

For anyone wondering about the second picture, with my remodel I am placing my solar charge controller and inverter on the back side of the OE panel. I built a cubbie door that I can access those and service them from within the trailer if need be.

More photos as work progresses. I keep starting and stopping to order things.

Also, the two ? marks. I have no idea WTF is going on with these. Airstream's idea of grounding a wire is to butt connect it to a bigger wire. And this black and white wire with a 1 amp fuse in the middle of it. No clue what that's for. But it has to be factory since off into the wall it goes.

And yeah, I snapped the photo before I put the heat gun on the heat shrink and cut my remaining zip ties. Either way, better than before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7092.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	240131   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7095.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	240132  

Old 06-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Today's progress was cleaning up the OE wiring hack job. I have not finished the other portion as I keep adding more things into the mix. Right now I ordered new cable to replace the battery and run from the solar controller to the battery, and also purchased a 50 Amp marine grade circuit breaker from Blue Sea systems on advice of Lewster that once my new cable gets here will go between the battery and the rest of the electrical.

For anyone wondering about the second picture, with my remodel I am placing my solar charge controller and inverter on the back side of the OE panel. I built a cubbie door that I can access those and service them from within the trailer if need be.

More photos as work progresses. I keep starting and stopping to order things.

Also, the two ? marks. I have no idea WTF is going on with these. Airstream's idea of grounding a wire is to butt connect it to a bigger wire. And this black and white wire with a 1 amp fuse in the middle of it. No clue what that's for. But it has to be factory since off into the wall it goes.

And yeah, I snapped the photo before I put the heat gun on the heat shrink and cut my remaining zip ties. Either way, better than before.
I see that 1 amp fuse all the time. Looking how it's wired to the on the positive copper bar side of the positive bus bar and not on the downstream side of the DC circuit breakers, It is probably the LP detector. Pull the fuse and see if the little green light on the detector goes out.

BTW, I'm working on a brandy new '15 27FB Twin and it seems that Airstream has been listening on our comments about wiring! The wiring job, especially in the circuit breaker box, is noticeably neater, but still has a way to go to be fully acceptable.

Also, Parallax has upgraded their DC fuse block that cones with the converter package to include LED failure lights........Just like the ones Progressive Dynamics has been using for years!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #32
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

So revisiting this old thread. Since I just finished my lithium install this weekend, I redid this again, moving it to the back side of it's original place. Gained a few more inches of space in my front storage compartment, and I can access this from inside that airstream if needed.

The Airstream itself is now isolated from the batteries with a 50amp circuit breaker, per an earlier recommendation from Lew.

I used 2 AWG from the house batteries to the Airstream's new bus bars and added an additional ground bar because mine was crowded as it was and increased the solid copper size and added a new bolt under the Airstream for it. Old one was janky.