Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Issaquah , Washington
Question Marker lights and camera not working

We just took delivery on a 2020 23FB Globetrotter. We already need some trouble shooting and we have an appointment for some help. The tali lights, hazards, turn signals and brake lights work fine. However, the marker lights and camera do not. Some initial speculation is that there is a short in the tow vehicle causing an incomplete signal being sent to the trailer lights. The AS technicians are sure the problem is not in the trailer. Has anyone experienced this? The tow vehicle is a MB GL 450 and the 7 way was installed as an after market device. Thanks in advance for your help!
Rrauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If you have a multi-meter it will come in handy. The backup camera gets power from the marker lights so they are on the same feed.

Looking at the tow vehicle female receptacle, the marker lights are at 11 o:clock. with the large tab slot at 12 o:clock. Sometimes it's upside down.... Check for 12 V with the tail lights turned on and 0 V with them off. If they don't do this it is a problem with the vehicle.

Confirm The marker lights by getting a small wire and on the trailer male plug looking in it is at 1 o:clock. jump from the 1 o:clock tab to +12 (red) on the trailer battery. the marker lights should illuminate.

If it's an issue with the vehicle, no need to drag the trailer to the shop.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Issaquah , Washington
Brian- Thanks, this was helpful. The lights on the trailer appear to be fine doing the test you suggest. The test on the TV is inconclusive (to me) as I don’t know how to use a multimeter, but, from what I could tell, I am not getting 12v from the 7 way using the 11 o’clock tab and the center prongs.
The plot thickens, however, as the Prodigy RF brake controller is mounted on the trailer between the trailer wire and the TV. In order to get the trailer lights to work, I had to disconnect the brake controller and test directly into the trailer wire.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
The marker lights are on the same circuit as the taillights. If the taillights actually work, the problem must be in the trailer.

My 2019 22FB is in the shop now because the taillights/marker lights/camera stop working after driving for a while. It’s not the car end; I checked that thoroughly and even replaced the powered converter.

The problem is a bit different from yours, but I’ll post again if the problem gets diagnosed this week.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Great to hear the trailer is fine. That's one thing you don't have to drag to the shop. Ok, so grab some vinegar, and a bit of salt mix in the salt and use that the clean the connectors on the vehicle and the brake controller. Then try again. If that doesn't help get a 12V light bulb or any rated 12 V and higher (incandescent if not 12V). Ground the bulb outer casing on some metal on the vehicle and with the tail lights on toch your jumper between the bulb center nipple and the 11 oclock. That will test the vehicle. If it tests good then we will look closer at the brake controller.

Edit: since you have a trailer you should get a medium quality multimeter and learn how to use it. Probably the most handy thing to have. the vibrations tend to work electrical connections loose so it will come in handy. I have this one. you can get a cheaper one as this one has some advanced features you may not use but the thermocouple is cool.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Albert, if the trailer tests fine, its likely the connector. Clean the male and female tabs with vinegar and salt, then rinse well with water. After they dry, grease them with dielectric grease or spray them with corrosionX or if you don't have that WD40. Your troubles will be over.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Issaquah , Washington
Thanks- I will try your recommendations. I did try my multimeter on the 12 v trailer battery and it seems to be working. I will also step up and learn to use it.
The 7 pin and brake controller are brand new - not likely corroded. That’s partly why I am suspicious of a short in the wiring of the 7 pin within the vehicle. I’ll see if I can light the lightbulb.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Are you sure that you have selected the lights on all the time and not the automatic setting?
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
well, since you have a multimeter, set it to dc volts 20 or more and touch one probe to the 11 oclock pin and one side to the 7 o:clock negative pin or to any clean metal chassis like an unpainted bolt. It should show battery voltage 12.3-12.5 when tail lights are on. If it does not scrape the probe on the connectors a bit. If you still get nothing, you have found the problem. sh** can the light bulb trick, the multimeter is much better.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:37 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Chattanooga , Tennessee
Loose Connection

Had the exact same issue on my 2018 25FB. The power cord that connects to your truck is spliced into the trailer's electrical system inside the trailer near the front right side. It'll be under the bed, and I believe there is a plywood access panel. There was a loose connection between the wire that controls the running lights and the power cord. The crimped connection just didn't quite catch both wires. The wires from the power cord are color coded, so it should be easy to test this. Mine had intermittent connection, but once fixed was all good.

It's good to know where this connection is because eventually you may need to replace the whole power cord due to normal wear and tear.
RWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
back up camera monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleR View Post
Are you sure that you have selected the lights on all the time and not the automatic setting?
Not sure on your back up camera but if the monitor in the tow vehicle won't work make sure you set your tow vehicle lights to on and not on automatic. My will not work on automatic setting in my F250.
Good Luck
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #12
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
What truck are you towing with? Have you turned your headlights switch from automatic to manual? That’s how the camera and marker lights get activated.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Several years ago there was a thread about some Mercedes SUVs not recognizing the low current draw of the LED lights on the trailer. It's a long shot, but worth doing a search on.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Folsom , California
Could be as simple as turning on your headlights . Good luck
Donnusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Issaquah , Washington
I got a reading of 11.62v on the test you recommended.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Hooper , Utah
Turn on your vehicles head lights or park lights. That is how power gets to the camera.
albret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrauch View Post
I got a reading of 11.62v on the test you recommended.
That's in the ball park, certainly enough to light the lights and run the camera. Probably a bit of corrosion on the tabs. Yhis is good news, Sounds like the trailer is fine and the vehicle is fine, so its down to poor connections or a hick-up in the brake controller. So I'd clean the connections, hook it up and see how it does. Wiggle the connections if it doesn't come on and if you have to test the connections through the brake controller.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Issaquah , Washington
Thanks, Brian. You have been helpful. It seems this issue is not uncommon based on some of the other threads on the forum. I’ll post here what I learn from the technician at the shop.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:12 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
Possible solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrauch View Post
We just took delivery on a 2020 23FB Globetrotter. We already need some trouble shooting and we have an appointment for some help. The tali lights, hazards, turn signals and brake lights work fine. However, the marker lights and camera do not. Some initial speculation is that there is a short in the tow vehicle causing an incomplete signal being sent to the trailer lights. The AS technicians are sure the problem is not in the trailer. Has anyone experienced this? The tow vehicle is a MB GL 450 and the 7 way was installed as an after market device. Thanks in advance for your help!
Had the same issue with my 2018. Took it to the dealer and come to find out you must turn on your headlights for the camera to work.

Camera power is wired to the marker lights. With your headlight in the "auto" mode the marker lights don't have power unless the headlights are on.

Try it before you go and maybe save yourself some of my embarrassment.
Kim06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim06 View Post
Had the same issue with my 2018. Took it to the dealer and come to find out you must turn on your headlights for the camera to work.

Camera power is wired to the marker lights. With your headlight in the "auto" mode the marker lights don't have power unless the headlights are on.

Try it before you go and maybe save yourself some of my embarrassment.
Same for me, my headlights have to be on (NOT Auto) for marker lights and camera to be ON. Headlights on is safer anyway.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote