Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , WA
I have a 2018 30 ft classic which had the same problem.
It's pretty bad to loose the clearance lights and camera at night on a new trailer.

Turns out the fingers in the towing plug on the Airstream have almost no spring tension as the metal is too soft.
In order to make it home I used a jewelers screwdriver to gently wedge the fingers together so they would make a better connection to the mating pins on the tow vehicle. This is just a temporary fix to get home.
When I got home I cut the plug off the Airstream cable and replaced it.
I haven't had any trouble since.

The factory really should consider using better quality electrical connectors.

It might be worth noting that the brakes are connected via the same plug, they're just on a different pin.

The shore power cable connection to the trailer is a good topic too, for another thread.
58Model219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Issaquah , Washington
As promised, here’s the story. The trailer hitch wiring converter was “ bleeding” power over to the tail lights, preventing signal from getting through to the marker lights and camera. Technician replaced the Modulite converter and re-ran the power wire. Not sure I completely understand, but all is working well now.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and recommendations. I appreciate the willing help and advice here on the forum.
Rrauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
The marker lights are on the same circuit as the taillights. If the taillights actually work, the problem must be in the trailer.

My 2019 22FB is in the shop now because the taillights/marker lights/camera stop working after driving for a while. It’s not the car end; I checked that thoroughly and even replaced the powered converter.

The problem is a bit different from yours, but I’ll post again if the problem gets diagnosed this week.

An update - the RV tech identified a short in the trailer but was unable to locate it. He narrowed it down to the front marker lights. He re-wired things so that I have taillights, license plate light, and rear markers (and of course the camera). He will be consulting Jackson Center for advice.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Our back-up camera only works if the truck lights are “on”. “Auto” does not work, but the other lights come on.
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
Our back-up camera only works if the truck lights are “on”. “Auto” does not work, but the other lights come on.
There could be a couple of things happening here:

1) When the Auto is selected, the TV can turn off the lights in the daylight and;

2) if the DRL (Daytime Running Lights) are on, this may be a reduced voltage depending on a number of factors ie: make, model, year, etc...

The Camera runs off the 12V DC supply from the TV and is wired into the rear marker lights closest to the camera.

These lights get their power from the TV when the circuit is energized. If your marker lights are on, your camera will get its needed power.

Auto mode will vary based on the vehicle but simply turn on the parking lights in the TV to get power to the camera for backing purposes or leave the parking light switch turned on if you want to use your camera when cruising down the highway. I tried this once and found it too distracting.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #26
FrankM

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Lake Charles , Louisiana
I’m having the same issue with tail lights, markers, and back up camera on my 2020 27’ flying cloud. Dealer working on it...We’ll see.
3fpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Perhaps one of these quick testers can be added to your trailer tool kit?

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK12741.html

When I had my other trailer, I disconnected the circuit that trickle charges the batteries as I didn't want to add any stress to the TV's charging system. My 4 deep cycle batteries really didn't need any help.

Currently, my setup still has the 12V charging circuit disconnected.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:37 PM   #28

2020 30' Classic
Crown Point , Indiana
If you haven't done this, try turning your lights from automatic to the on position.

2020 classic 30fb, Sierra 2500 HD diesel
Jczatorski is offline   Reply With Quote