Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
Marinco 30 Amp inlet conversion to Smart Plug

Replaced my Marinco 30 Amp inlet with the Smart plug took about half hour. Fortunately had access to back from under the sink. What keeps it from pulling out easy is all the caulking A.S. installed on back side was able to grab it and pull it off like a banana peel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4180018.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	283635   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4180014.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	283636  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4180015.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	283637   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4180017.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	283638  

silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I did the same thing...it is a super nice system.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
DAMN YOU GUYS!!!!

Have a Micro Air Easy Start delivered today that I need to install, as well as the PD4655 replacement converter/charger waiting to go in. NOW I need to add this to the list and another $180 out the door.

Seriously...my stock Furion locking ring is cross-threaded, and doesn't make a tight connection. So I was looking to replace it. The stock plastic one is nearly $50, and the chrome one I looked at was more than $100. So for 80 bucks more, this seems like a no-brainer, to get rid of the threaded locking ring, upgrade from plastic to nice looking chrome, and the more important benefit of a super-solid connection, with 20x the surface connection (according to the manufacturer). What's not to like?

Thanks for the tip!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
DAMN YOU GUYS!!!!

Have a Micro Air Easy Start delivered today that I need to install, as well as the PD4655 replacement converter/charger waiting to go in. NOW I need to add this to the list and another $180 out the door.

Seriously...my stock Furion locking ring is cross-threaded, and doesn't make a tight connection. So I was looking to replace it. The stock plastic one is nearly $50, and the chrome one I looked at was more than $100. So for 80 bucks more, this seems like a no-brainer, to get rid of the threaded locking ring, upgrade from plastic to nice looking chrome, and the more important benefit of a super-solid connection, with 20x the surface connection (according to the manufacturer). What's not to like?

Thanks for the tip!

This is my youtube video of the install in case you would like to see.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
Already watched it yesterday...thanks !
Old 04-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
Smart plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post

thanks great video.
silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
thanks for the compliments on the video - I know these smart plugs were expensive (I have one on the front too) but between those and the matching cover for my CATV connection I think it was well worth the money. Not just for the added quality but for the looks too.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
One small suggestion.

The back cover for the receptacle has three slots in it for the allen wrench access to secure the wires.

I would have put two wraps of quality electrical tape around that area to cover those openings. That way nothing can get in there to contact the hot wire--like metal objects, fingers, or water...since there is no enclosure behind the whole thing other than a cabinet, apparently.

Dittos on the great video, and also the "DAMN YOU GUYS" comment. Its stuff like this that's costing me more money and project time on really good improvements...(sigh)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Looks like a great product. I also like the dual-access power inlet. Is there a switch to choose between them inside or are the prongs of the one which is not in use hot when you are hooked to AC power? Just curious.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
There is an automatic transfer switch installed in the factory that the two power inlets are connected to. It senses power and only allows one at a time to feed. I would guess it also does not allow one to be hot while the other is charged.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 20' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
I bought the Smartplug at camping world. I got the 30 foot cord with the receptacle. Before installing the receptacle I tried it out with the plug. No matter how hard I tried I could not get the plug in the receptacle far enough for their clips to snap in. I put the receptacle on the floor and even with all my weight on plug I could not get it in far enough for the clips to snap in. I looked for some obstruction but couldn't find anything. I took the plug back to camping world and decided to stick with the old receptacle and plug that has worked fine for me for the past 30 years.
AIRTRVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRTRVL View Post
I bought the Smartplug at camping world. I got the 30 foot cord with the receptacle. Before installing the receptacle I tried it out with the plug. No matter how hard I tried I could not get the plug in the receptacle far enough for their clips to snap in. I put the receptacle on the floor and even with all my weight on plug I could not get it in far enough for the clips to snap in. I looked for some obstruction but couldn't find anything. I took the plug back to camping world and decided to stick with the old receptacle and plug that has worked fine for me for the past 30 years.

That's weird...my connection is easier to plug in then it was spinning and unspinning the factory locking ring for sure

Old 04-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
"No matter how hard I tried I could not get the plug in the receptacle far enough for their clips to snap in."

You're not alone. I had a similar, though not as severe, problem with the first Smartplug setup I tried. I was able to get the plug in, but only with a good deal of force. This was their "combo" or "retro-fit" kit, which includes an inlet and a plug that can be fitted to your existing power cord after you cut off the Marinco end.

I later read that the Smartplug shore power cord had a connector that was easier to work with, so I bought one of those. Indeed, it was much easier to plug in and out. I ended up saving my "converted" old cord as an emergency spare.

It seems as if at least some of these plug/inlet sets may be tighter than they need to be... especially considering that the dual latching system makes it extremely unlikely that the plug could fall out of the socket. Nevertheless, I think the Smartplug system is a huge improvement over the old Hubbell/Marinco shore power setup, which dates back to the 1930s. It's well engineered and extremely sturdy. I'd like to see Airstream adopt it as a standard.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #14
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
I'd like to see Airstream adopt it as a standard.
One can dream! It'll never happen. That's obvious based on the observation that everything Airstream puts in is the cheapest available. Water pumps, converter/chargers, even fridge cooling fans. I'm sure Thor buys all their stuff in massive bulk for the biggest discount possible, then distributes all the parts across their various brands, including Airstream.

Airstream "should" be their flagship product, their "Rolls Royce" if you will. The unfortunate reality though is they start with a great design of aluminum structure and riveted skins, but then slap in the cheapest components available, and a great deal of the time, don't even do so properly. Sad.

Having said all that, I love mine and am just resolved to working through the issues as they arise and fixing them. Just last night I was messing around under a panel in the closet where the water pump is, and the heating duct leading to the belly and the bedroom was not even connected. The guy who was supposed to do it, didn't, and the guy who installed the cabinets over it, couldn't be bothered to rectify it, just continued on with 'his job'. Not to mention, the filth, construction debris, electrical connectors that were left in there, is definitely a sign of overall poor quality and workmanship. It's like subcontractors who build a house and their poor workmanship is hidden by what goes in next. I had the duct work cleaned in my house and it was unreal what came out of it. Soda cans, sawdust and bits of scrap lumber, tile scraps, candy wrappers...during construction the subs all just swept the debris into the uncovered floor ducts rather than into a shovel to dispose in a trash can. That's just the world today, unfortunately.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:09 PM   #15
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Warning...will NOT fit all Airstreams!

I guess it will vary depending on model and year, as nobody seems to have reported this issue, but on my 2014 FC 23 FB, the Smartplug receptacle, when assembled, is about 1/2 inch too long to fit, the back of the unit pushes against the inner skin on my trailer, and the outlet bezel was 1/2 inch from the outer skin. NO GO. Hard Stop. Of course this was AFTER I had first cut my Furion 30 amp cord and assembled that first, I should have tried the receptacle in the trailer first. So now I have a cord with a Smartplug female end on it, but the Smartplug male receptacle won't fit flush into my trailer. Freaking great.

Before ordering I would recommend that you remove your existing shore power connection, and measure from the outer skin to the inner skin, or whatever is back there, it sounds like in some cases you can actually see the back of the receptacle behind cabinetry or whatnot. Not on mine---looking in the hole from the outside, there is a solid sheet of aluminum skin back there, and the wire to the power center come up between the skins. Then check with the manufacturer to confirm the distance from the back of the bezel to the back of the whole assembly to make sure it'll fit.

Now I need to figure something out. It might be possible to cut a suitable sized hole in the inner skin, and relocate the wire from the power center from in between the skins, and put it through the hole I would cut. A real hassle of a retrofit for sure.

Otherwise, just reinstall the old receptacle, and hopefully remove the female end from my cord, and install a new female connector, if they make them. Otherwise, a whole new old style cord.

In my case, this was just a frustrating exercise. And expensive depending on the return policy.

To be forewarned is to be forearmed.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2015 23D International Serenity had just the rear 120Vac power plastic Furrion connector.

During the complete customization process, we also added a real (meaning mechanical relay) transfer switch and a front 120Vac power inlet. Both the original and new front power inlets are now stainless steel. We stayed with the twist-lok plugs as parts and cables are available everywhere.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:28 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
I see in some of the O.P. photos that there is a round Furrion type connector in addition to the twist/screw lock Marinco type connector that is replaced with the Smart Plug. What is the Furrion connection for? Or am I mistaken? Is one for a generator? If so, why didn't they use the same type connector?

I'm upgrading(?) my 1977 Excella 500 to have a stainless steel Marinco type as we speak. It SEEMS like it is a reasonable connector from looking at the photos and videos online of people using it. Also, I prefer to have somewhat standardized parts where possible. What do you do if a crackhead steals your SmartPlug cord and there isn't a replacement available nearby? What if they stop making it? Along these lines, I also converted my plumbing to use Valterra type fittings because I couldn't see a reason not to and wide availability was certainly a reason to go that way.

Currently I have factory reels for power and water. The water was bypassed by the previous owner so I never got into it to rebuild or find out what it needs. But after a recent rodent problem I decided that I want to seal up that hatch to keep critters out and comfortable conditioned air inside. It's just not the most hermetically sealed hatch in in the world.

Some may say it is a mistake to remove it but oh well. The power cord is fairly convenient and you can retract it back into the coach in no time at all. I figure having to pick up and stow a shore power cable won't be all that difficult. I'm also setting up my right with a boosting Victron inverter/charger so I'm hopeful that I may be running off a normal 20 amp extension cord going forward (with a dogbone adapter, or custom made to hook into the 30 amp).
WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
I guess it will vary depending on model and year, as nobody seems to have reported this issue, but on my 2014 FC 23 FB, the Smartplug receptacle, when assembled, is about 1/2 inch too long to fit, the back of the unit pushes against the inner skin on my trailer, and the outlet bezel was 1/2 inch from the outer skin. NO GO. Hard Stop. Of course this was AFTER I had first cut my Furion 30 amp cord and assembled that first, I should have tried the receptacle in the trailer first. So now I have a cord with a Smartplug female end on it, but the Smartplug male receptacle won't fit flush into my trailer. Freaking great.

Before ordering I would recommend that you remove your existing shore power connection, and measure from the outer skin to the inner skin, or whatever is back there, it sounds like in some cases you can actually see the back of the receptacle behind cabinetry or whatnot. Not on mine---looking in the hole from the outside, there is a solid sheet of aluminum skin back there, and the wire to the power center come up between the skins. Then check with the manufacturer to confirm the distance from the back of the bezel to the back of the whole assembly to make sure it'll fit.

Now I need to figure something out. It might be possible to cut a suitable sized hole in the inner skin, and relocate the wire from the power center from in between the skins, and put it through the hole I would cut. A real hassle of a retrofit for sure.

Otherwise, just reinstall the old receptacle, and hopefully remove the female end from my cord, and install a new female connector, if they make them. Otherwise, a whole new old style cord.

In my case, this was just a frustrating exercise. And expensive depending on the return policy.

To be forewarned is to be forearmed.
My front outlet pushed against the inner skin but it did end up flush. Unless there are places where the middle ribs are thinner then others I am not sure why yours would be any different. I would assume that the space between the inner and outer skins were equal. Sorry you had that problem - I have added that info to my video description. Hopefully you get this sorted out.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tallguy View Post
I see in some of the O.P. photos that there is a round Furrion type connector in addition to the twist/screw lock Marinco type connector that is replaced with the Smart Plug. What is the Furrion connection for? Or am I mistaken? Is one for a generator? If so, why didn't they use the same type connector?
In the OP pictures all I see is the power outlet and a water inlet.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Oops I meant in the video posted by AStreamNerds. Looks like a Furrion type outlet or inlet there under where they install the new SmartPlug....

WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote