Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tallguy View Post
Oops I meant in the video posted by AStreamNerds. Looks like a Furrion type outlet or inlet there under where they install the new SmartPlug....
That is the Furrion TV Outlet - I swapped that out too:

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #22
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
My front outlet pushed against the inner skin but it did end up flush. Unless there are places where the middle ribs are thinner then others I am not sure why yours would be any different. I would assume that the space between the inner and outer skins were equal. Sorry you had that problem - I have added that info to my video description. Hopefully you get this sorted out.
Yep, no way it was going in flush no matter who hard I pushed. I think I know why--right above the inlet location, was the floor of my closet that is flush to the inner skin. So there was no "flex" in the skin.

After my initial annoyance subsided, I decided to figure out a fix. I removed the closet floor for easy access, and fortunately could see the wire from the power center coming across the floor and up between the skins through an existing hole for wiring. I pulled the wire down from between the skins so that it was inside the trailer below the closet. Then I measured the location of the center of the power inlet by measuring from the center of the fresh tank fill on the outside, then transposed those measurement to the inside skin, to make sure there was nothing on the inside that would be in the way.

Then I drilled a pilot hole into the inner skin from outside, eyeballing the center of the outer skin hole. There are some wires nearby in between the skins, just pushed them aside to make sure they were safe for my next step. Then I went back inside and used my Rotozip to cut a round hole in the inner skin using the pilot hole as my guide to center it. Put some rubber hose secured by duct tape to protect the wire from the rough edge in case of any contact. pushed the wire out through the holes in the inner and outer skins, assembled the outlet, and it fit easily flush on the outside, since it was now able to extend beyond the inner skin by about 1/4 inch, into the bay were the water pump and wiring and misc. ductwork is.

So it was a little more involved, but I was able to work it out. Was meaning to update this thread so thanks for the reminder.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
So the VP of Sales and Marketing of SmartPlug contacted me because he noticed that I was missing the lid gasket for one of my SmartPlugs (compare 15:35 to 19:05 and you will see what I am talking about). He offered to send me a replacement gasket at no cost. How is that for customer service? Not only is the product awesome but so far it seems the company is too!

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
That also says that they are paying attention to their customers and blog activity. A good thing to do nowadays...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
We have been authorized to run a promotion for Airstream coming up after or before the R-pod rally
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #26
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I use either 30 or 50amp service so I was wondering if the SmartPlug will accept both 30 and 50amp cords?
Old 09-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The receptacle for 30 amp has three prongs. The 50 amp has four prongs and is a lot bigger. Short answer is NO. That said, you could wire up a 30 amp cord to the 50 amp plug, tying both hot prongs to the hot wire in the cord. I’d just use the 50 amp cable set and use a 30 to 50 dogbone adapter at the pedestal.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote