Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
Looking for main brake line connection

Can someone tell me how to get to the connections for the brakes? I am trying to check the connections and can't figure how to get to the connections where the pigtail from the tow vehicle meets the wire feeding all the brakes. It appears to be behind the wall at the front of the trailer and behind the couch but I can't figure how to access it without removing the whole dc panel and wiring. The trailer is a 29ft 93 excello 1000. When I look under the trailer, I see the pigtail disappear into the belly pan and the brake feed coming out of the same hole and going back to the brakes. There is a spare tire mounted there but no access plate.

I know someone has been there and done that!!!!

Thanks
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Why not simply ohmmeter check from the brake leads to the pin in the connector. I use a hat pin to penatrate the insulation, or you could simply check at the wire nuts.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:58 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
Thanks dwightdi, I know I am getting voltage back to all brakes but I wanted to check the connections to make sure no corrosion had set up. I re-did all the connections at the magnets with compression fittings and heat shrink and did find some bad ones. I have been able to check everything except this one. I suspect there is another way to get to it other than removing the dc panel and fishing it out of the wall. I suspect I have a high resistance connection somewhere as I am measuring only 10.4 amps going to the magnets and I should be seeing about 12 amps. Voltage at the plug is 13.6 with the engine of the TV running. I know that all four magnets are working as they will lock up the wheels when I jack up the trailer and apply the brakes.
Any one have any suggestions as to how to access this connection?
McKesh mirrors
Old 06-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

James, on my Excella, they meet at the bus bar for 12v distribution behind a hatch behind a fabric cover behind the sofa back.
Nick.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
Nick,
can you open the door on the hatch and see the wires? I have the same set up on my 93 but cannot identify the brake wire connection.
Jim
McKesh mirrors
Old 06-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

James, I am in the U.K , about 4000 miles from my trailer, but if memory serves, it is one of the two blue wires. One goes to the breakaway switch from the 12v distribution busbar, and one goes from the busbar to the trailer brakes. If you need more information, I expect a forum member can scan the wiring diagram.
Nick.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
Thanks Nick,
I have a wiring diagram but cannot find the connection in the trailer. I'm attaching the diagram showing what I am looking for. I feel that someone will know where it is located and can tell me a simple way to get to the connection so that I can check it.
Jim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wiring.pdf (62.0 KB, 53 views)
McKesh mirrors
Old 06-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

James, have you labelled your diagram correctly? Your arrow points towards the tee-off for the electric jack from the "always on" 12v DC power supply to the breakaway switch. If this is truly the connection you want, it is located on the A-frame street side inner. However, I suspect you are looking for the blue/blue connection about an inch lower in your diagram (in portrait orientation- to the right in landscape orientation). In my trailer, this is located between the skins, using a wire nut, and just to the left and below the 12v distribution panel. I got to it by (wait for the bad news) removing the couch and drilling out rivets to remove the inner skin panel in that area. The wire nut just sits in the fiberglass insulation. To avoid that, you could use a multimeter to check the resistance between the breakaway switch blue wire and the blue wire going back to the trailer brakes.
Nick.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
Nick,
Thanks so much for the help. You are exactly correct, I did point to the wrong connection-don't rightly know how that happened. Your location description confirms what I suspected as to how difficult this was gong to be. I will follow your advise and check the resistance via your suggestion.

Thanks again for the help and enjoy your stay in the UK.
James
McKesh mirrors
Old 06-27-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Schmidt
Thanks again for the help and enjoy your stay in the UK.
James
Your very welcome, James. BTW, my "stay" in the UK has lasted for nearly 60 years!
Nick.