Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyacker View Post
Anyone have a great supplier for wire they prefer? I know that AM Solar is one everyone likes
I purchase most of my wire from PowerWerx.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Is the reason you are doing 50 amp service because you have two AC units? Unless that’s the case Ill bet with the Multiplus providing boost current you’ll find 30A service is just fine, and more readily available. It would simplify your AC wiring and breaker panel to only have one AC feed. I’ve never once wished I had more shore current but then I have only a single AC unit.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Victoria , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
Is the reason you are doing 50 amp service because you have two AC units? Unless that’s the case Ill bet with the Multiplus providing boost current you’ll find 30A service is just fine, and more readily available. It would simplify your AC wiring and breaker panel to only have one AC feed. I’ve never once wished I had more shore current but then I have only a single AC unit.

We’re brining in 50A because we can. Wiring isn’t all that more challenging. When on 30A we’ll be able to dial down the charge circuit with the Victron controller.
Kyacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:58 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
We’re brining in 50A because we can. Wiring isn’t all that more challenging. When on 30A we’ll be able to dial down the charge circuit with the Victron controller.
Given that your Multiplus can provide the extra current when you need it I’m curious what you’ll be running on the leg that’s not inverted

We enjoy the simplicity of every outlet in the trailer being live whenever the Multiplus is on. We’ve even been known to run the AC just on battery for 15 minutes or so just to take the edge off a hot trailer.

Troutboy just did a solar install like yours with 50 amps but I think all he has on the non-inverted leg is the second AC and electric hot water heater. You could PM him if you want this thoughts on how that worked out.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:52 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Victoria , Minnesota
Quote:
Given that your Multiplus can provide the extra current when you need it I’m curious what you’ll be running on the leg that’s not inverted

We enjoy the simplicity of every outlet in the trailer being live whenever the Multiplus is on. We’ve even been known to run the AC just on battery for 15 minutes or so just to take the edge off a hot trailer.

Troutboy just did a solar install like yours with 50 amps but I think all he has on the non-inverted leg is the second AC and electric hot water heater. You could PM him if you want this thoughts on how that worked out.

I will for sure! We’ll use it for the refrigerator, the heat strip in the ac if we want to use it, and a heat strip in the water heater to save on propane.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:29 AM   #46
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Regarding saving propane for the water heater: maybe consider upgrading to an on-demand water heater such as the Truma AquaGo. It does a fantastic job and consumes surprisingly little propane, despite using this as the only method for heating water.

On another front, keep in mind that a 50A shore power cable is much heavier and more challenging to deal with than a 30A cable.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Victoria , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Regarding saving propane for the water heater: maybe consider upgrading to an on-demand water heater such as the Truma AquaGo. It does a fantastic job and consumes surprisingly little propane, despite using this as the only method for heating water.

On another front, keep in mind that a 50A shore power cable is much heavier and more challenging to deal with than a 30A cable.
I'll definitely check it out! Thanks for the recommendation!

As for the cable, I hear you. We've already ordered our 50A from SmartPlug but I think we'll be alright
Old 11-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #48
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You really have not had "fun" until that 50A cable has been sitting on the freezing ground for a while and is roughly as flexible as a 2x4 The colder it gets, the more trouble working with one is.

======

If you decide to go to a higher voltage (like 24V) some of what you have probably will work ok. Much of the Victron stuff is 12/24V already. There are a *lot* of boats running 24V systems. If lighting is being re-done, 24V LED's are not that hard to dig up. The normal appliances are out there, but maybe a bit more expensive.

The gotcahs with this start to come up once you go outside. Power stabilizers, power jacks, and power awnings are not as common in 24V as in 12V. Next up are the brakes and the breakaway system. They pretty much have to be 12V to run off of the TV.

You can rig a DC/DC converter to give you 12V for this and that. The big question becomes how much you trust it to run the brakes ....

=====

Full trailer on the inverter sounds cool. Again there are some odd details. Running the fridge on propane rather than batteries probably makes sense. Most auto switch to 120V if it's there. A bigger question is the AC, there simply is no way to cool a trailer off of solar in a really hot climate. You use way to many KWH ....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #49

Looking for Electrical System Feedback - Solar, Victron, LiPO4 battery, SmartPlug

Love our new electrical system via AM Solar. Turned off all the big red switches, verified zero amp draw via the bms, and put her in storage until we hit the road again. Our LiFePO4 Victron batteries should hold their charge just fine. [emoji106]

Old 11-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Victoria , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

You really have not had "fun" until that 50A cable has been sitting on the freezing ground for a while and is roughly as flexible as a 2x4 The colder it gets, the more trouble working with one is.

======

If you decide to go to a higher voltage (like 24V) some of what you have probably will work ok. Much of the Victron stuff is 12/24V already. There are a *lot* of boats running 24V systems. If lighting is being re-done, 24V LED's are not that hard to dig up. The normal appliances are out there, but maybe a bit more expensive.

The gotcahs with this start to come up once you go outside. Power stabilizers, power jacks, and power awnings are not as common in 24V as in 12V. Next up are the brakes and the breakaway system. They pretty much have to be 12V to run off of the TV.

You can rig a DC/DC converter to give you 12V for this and that. The big question becomes how much you trust it to run the brakes ....

=====

Full trailer on the inverter sounds cool. Again there are some odd details. Running the fridge on propane rather than batteries probably makes sense. Most auto switch to 120V if it's there. A bigger question is the AC, there simply is no way to cool a trailer off of solar in a really hot climate. You use way to many KWH ....

Bob
Figure I can use the cord as a hammer until it thaws

Unfortunately(?) our battery is 12V. It'll at least make it easier for the bus bars.

We're actually going to connect the A/C to the inverter side of the Victron. We have an EasyStart installed so that should keep us from peaking over 2000W. At 450Ah, we should be able to run the A/C in spurts to cool things off even when boondocking. We'll have 410 usable Ah (down to 10% SOC). At 2000W (on the high side) while running, and 88.3% inverter efficiency that would give us about 2 hours (2.17h) if we keep everything else limited and we start with a full battery. The 400W solar system should keep us in a good range as you'd assume we'd be using the A/C when it's hot and sunny out. For those times we're in significant shade or REALLLLY hot weather, we have a 3000W generator to keep things topped up.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:

Actually it was wulfrat that had the 50A service, not troutboy.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #52
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Figure I can use the cord as a hammer until it thaws

Unfortunately(?) our battery is 12V. It'll at least make it easier for the bus bars.

We're actually going to connect the A/C to the inverter side of the Victron. We have an EasyStart installed so that should keep us from peaking over 2000W. At 450Ah, we should be able to run the A/C in spurts to cool things off even when boondocking. We'll have 410 usable Ah (down to 10% SOC). At 2000W (on the high side) while running, and 88.3% inverter efficiency that would give us about 2 hours (2.17h) if we keep everything else limited and we start with a full battery. The 400W solar system should keep us in a good range as you'd assume we'd be using the A/C when it's hot and sunny out. For those times we're in significant shade or REALLLLY hot weather, we have a 3000W generator to keep things topped up.
Hi

If you head south (and are in the sun) in the summer, you will struggle to keep a 28' trailer cool with a single AC unit running 12 to 16 hours a day ..... Even with shade, simply cooling down (and pulling out the humidity in) the trailer after a long day on the road may well use up more than your 2 hour number. Over the last two years, I'd say that well over half the time we were in a situation that needed the two AC units and that ran one or both of them for over 6 hours a day.

Bob
Old 11-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1959 28' Ambassador
Victoria , Minnesota
Quote:
Hi

If you head south (and are in the sun) in the summer, you will struggle to keep a 28' trailer cool with a single AC unit running 12 to 16 hours a day ..... Even with shade, simply cooling down (and pulling out the humidity in) the trailer after a long day on the road may well use up more than your 2 hour number. Over the last two years, I'd say that well over half the time we were in a situation that needed the two AC units and that ran one or both of them for over 6 hours a day.

Bob
We have brick and mortar in the St. Pete area so we're going to try to keep the Airstream in dryer more northern climates in the summer

Also as an update, I just ordered the Victron GC and Multicontrol from Alan at Bay Marine Supply and holy hell does that guy love him some solar. Talk about about one of the nicest most helpful people I've ever spoken to at a distributor. Seriously, if you have any questions, call him, he's a compendium of information. The guy stuck on the phone with me for over an hour at 9p tonight (still 7 in San Diego) just telling me about things to look for in my build and the right way to get everything all set up. He also emailed me on a Saturday after I reached out to them. Good God, it's nice to find people like him and all of you that have helped me out so much.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #54
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Well, going north in the summer does help some. I've certainly had to run both AC's to get the trailer cool in PA, NJ, DE, IN, and OH in the summer (not to mention points further south). I suspect there is some point in Canada that might not be true ....

Bob
Old 11-15-2018, 02:36 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Hi

Well, going north in the summer does help some. I've certainly had to run both AC's to get the trailer cool in PA, NJ, DE, IN, and OH in the summer (not to mention points further south). I suspect there is some point in Canada that might not be true ....

Bob
Northern Montana and North Dakota on Hwy. 2 was HOT.
One AC not enough.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #56

We've camped in Moab in the blazing sun when the ambient temp was 99 degrees. One AC kept the unit cool enough for basic survival needs, but the campground swimming pool sure did come in handy that afternoon!

Old 11-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #57
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
We've camped in Moab in the blazing sun when the ambient temp was 99 degrees. One AC kept the unit cool enough for basic survival needs, but the campground swimming pool sure did come in handy that afternoon!
Hi

I'd bet the humidity was a bit below 90% in Moab when it was 99 out ....

Bob
Old 11-16-2018, 05:11 PM   #58

Quote:
Hi

I'd bet the humidity was a bit below 90% in Moab when it was 99 out ....

Bob

Yes, just a wee bit. I think the humidity that day was between 0 and 5 percent!

Old 11-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #59
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Yes, just a wee bit. I think the humidity that day was between 0 and 5 percent!
Hi

That has a *big* impact on just how useful the AC is. In two seasons of chugging around, we have yet to hit an area that the humidify was below about 50% in the heat of the day. It also limits just how cool it will get at night. If it only goes down to somewhere in the 80's at night ... the dogs (not to mention the people) don't sleep well without AC.

Bob
Old 11-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Quote:
Hi

That has a *big* impact on just how useful the AC is. In two seasons of chugging around, we have yet to hit an area that the humidify was below about 50% in the heat of the day. It also limits just how cool it will get at night. If it only goes down to somewhere in the 80's at night ... the dogs (not to mention the people) don't sleep well without AC.

Bob

Bob,
You ought to come to the desert southwest during July (The start of our rainy season in the Davis Mountains). You will get to witness the largest evaporative (swamp) cooler in action; a thunderstorm. I was sitting on the front porch one day and it was sunny and about 98F. Humidity was about 10%. A thunderstorm passed close by and the temperature dropped to the low 70s in about 15 minutes. It's amazing what happens when you introduce that much moisture into very dry air.

Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote