Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Looking at buying new '16 - what to expect battery condition.

My Wife and I are going to look at a left over 2016 FC and was wondering what condition to expect the batteries to be in. My guess is it been on the lot for 9-12 months and would not expect they are getting a regular charge.

Any thoughts for the Airforms group?

Also any suggestion on what else to look at when we go see this trailer this weekend?

Appreciate you feedback
one_maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Hi One Maverick, welcome to the forums, greetings from central Kentucky.

If the batteries were fully charged to start with then you may luck out. The propane sensor is on all the time and can drain the battery. If there is a solar panel it would have kept it charged. If the batteries are not maintenance free then check the water levels and add distilled water and put the AS on shore power, turn the Use/Store to Use and let them charge up. When they are fully charged, turn the Use / Store to Store and wait 3-4 hours, then check the voltage. I got a battery load tester from Harbor Freight and use that to gauge my batteries' strength.

In the grand scheme of things, what you're paying for the AS will dwarf what replacement batteries will cost.

If the AS is new, just left over from a previous year then there shouldn't be any water in the pipes. If there is, I'd ask if it had water in there over the winter months.

Check the tires, ask if it's been sitting in the same spot for more than 2-3 months. If so, you might want to consider trading those in for new ones. ST tires can sit for a while but 9 months in one spot in the summer is not really good for them.

Hope that helps.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! Ditto to Rich's comments.

On the batteries, I would simply tell the dealer you want brand new fully charged batteries to be installed before you take her off the lot. Beyond this, it is hard to sum up, and a lot depends on the dealer's integrity.

The Search function here works pretty well, if you go above to the right, and use the lower Google search inquiry box for your dealer's name.

You could also do a general Google search in your browser and look for reviews of the dealer. Unfortunately, some seem not be fully reliable on all details IMO.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- We bought our 2014 FC20 in the Fall of 2015, when it was also a leftover model. The dealer's shop had prepared and tested everything very well. Spending time with a knowledgeable sales person, or service shop foreman, going over every function will give you an idea if the person is trustworthy and reliable.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would expect the batteries to be partially discharged and wouldn't worry about it. I also wouldn't worry about tires that had been sitting for 9 months.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I would expect the batteries to be partially discharged and wouldn't worry about it. I also wouldn't worry about tires that had been sitting for 9 months.
Neither would I.
I Would check out another trailer that has new batteries and tires.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Hi One Maverick, welcome to the forums, greetings from central Kentucky.

If the batteries were fully charged to start with then you may luck out. The propane sensor is on all the time and can drain the battery. If there is a solar panel it would have kept it charged. If the batteries are not maintenance free then check the water levels and add distilled water and put the AS on shore power, turn the Use/Store to Use and let them charge up. When they are fully charged, turn the Use / Store to Store and wait 3-4 hours, then check the voltage. I got a battery load tester from Harbor Freight and use that to gauge my batteries' strength.

In the grand scheme of things, what you're paying for the AS will dwarf what replacement batteries will cost.

If the AS is new, just left over from a previous year then there shouldn't be any water in the pipes. If there is, I'd ask if it had water in there over the winter months.

Check the tires, ask if it's been sitting in the same spot for more than 2-3 months. If so, you might want to consider trading those in for new ones. ST tires can sit for a while but 9 months in one spot in the summer is not really good for them.

Hope that helps.
In addition to load checks on the batteries; use a Hydrometer to check the state of charge.
1.250-1.300 is a fully charged battery.
Down in the red at say around 1.125 is only 25% or so charged.
Go from there.

Trailer Trash squatting in a Tin Can Shed.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
AS will not warranty the batteries directly. You have to go through Interstate. I went through this with AS and Interstate. I bought my AS late December 2015. The batteries were dated July 2015 and were shot by March of this year, but I didn't realize it because my AS was kept on shore power all the time including the 7000 miles I drove it this summer. By August this year it was apparent the batteries were shot, and, of course, out of Warranty. Nobody wanted to help me and I ended up buying two new batteries.

So the advice from the forum is correct, make the AS dealer put two new (and currently dated) batteries in before you leave the lot.
tbadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Walnut Creek , California
Battery condition

Wow! tbadams. How did you stay hooked up to shore power for 7000 miles?? A very long power cord???????
Elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #9
Selby

2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Burfield
Lot battery

Dealers ( here anyway) don't even keep the battery out on the lot. They are inside pending sale of the Airstream. Our dealer did a fantastic job of prepping for delivery, it is a very involved process. Many other items to confirm are operating , a camping trip in your driveway will confirm all is well.
Burfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
I bought a new 16 Bambi in the fall and the battery didn't make it through the winter on the trickle charger. The dealer replaced it with no hassle, there is a warranty on the battery and the trailer. Not really a issue.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Depending on the trailer build date (the month shows on the vehicle information sticker located down low street side front by the seam of the front end cap), I would suggest asking for both new batteries and tires before taking delivery. Look at the date code on the tires as well as the battery.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Well it was not meant to be, we got at the dealer not to find out that the AS we were interested in was sold that morning. They had 3-25' that we looked at but they were not interested in dealing on them as they were the 2016 we were interested in.

We are not in a hurry, we can wait to see the next opportunity that may come by.
one_maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
When we bought our 2016 this past March the coach did not have batteries on it. They were added at the time of sale. I'm probably wrong but I thought batteries were installed at a dealership and not shipped with the trailers. None of the other coaches on the lot had batteries installed. Course at the pre delivery inspection and after the batteries had been installed I got the "pitch" that I " could or should" upgrade to a better battery. That whole episode for me was not pleasant as I was told about all the things I needed to "add" to my trailer to make it complete. Come on..you drop 50 grand and after you write the check you get hit with this. Ridiculous!
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:07 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thank you for the feedback, and good luck with finding the right AS for you!

This is a great time of year for good deals on earlier model year units, including previously owned ones, so hopefully this buyer's market will work out for you.

Happy Trails,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_maverick View Post
Well it was not meant to be, we got at the dealer not to find out that the AS we were interested in was sold that morning. They had 3-25' that we looked at but they were not interested in dealing on them as they were the 2016 we were interested in.

We are not in a hurry, we can wait to see the next opportunity that may come by.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Oakdale , Pennsylvania
We purchased our 2016 27' last April from Foley RV. When we got home we found our batteries were dead. We called Foley who told us to speak with Interstate Battery first but that they would replace the batteries if Interstate did not. We called Interstate and they replaced the batteries after checking they were within the warranty period. I was very satisfied by the way both the dealer (Foley RV) and Interstate Battery handled the issue.

Woody48
Airstream Forums
Woody48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My trailer sat on the lot 4 months. I got 3 years, 5 months from the original batteries.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote