Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2020, 12:19 PM   #1

Odessa , Florida
lithium batteries located under chassis?

I have a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour and was interested in upgrading my 2 AGM to 2 Battle Born lithium batteries. My current batteries are located under the chassis in the rear behind the dual wheels drivers side. I was wanting to put the two Battle Borns where the old batteries are located but I was advised by an installer that this is a dangerous place to put these batteries due to potential damage, fire ect. IT seems to me that is was no dangerous than it was for the original batteries but I'm really new to the rv/battery world and would appreciate any ones ideas of having lithium batteries located like this.IMG_3386.jpeg
goldenboy200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Reno , Nevada
'risk of fire' ?? I don't think so.

The current battery compartment exterior should obviously be very strong metal, capable of withstanding blow-out damage and road debris. If it isn't, it will need to be replaced. Yiou installer seems to be confusing BattleBorn LiFePO4 batteries with batteries using other kinds of Lithium-Ion chemistries.

LFP batteries don't have the high fire risk of other types, and the excellent internal BMS installed by BattleBorn prevents overcharrging, overcurrent, and other "fire-provoking abuse" in the first place.
- - - -
Within a strong aluminum box, my only concerns would be theft and likely low outside temperatures during mornings. BattleBorn batteries like to be inside, because they can't be charged at a high rate when the temprature approaches freezing (or falls below freezing in which case they can't be discharged very well either).

Some of these LFP batteries include built-in heaters, which warm them up before trying to operate in cold temperatures. I don't know if BattleBorn offers that feature in any of their models, but it might be worth looking into.
rickst29 is offline   Reply With Quote