Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2003, 02:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

lights, good. sockets bad

I was thrilled to see that upon hooking up the exterior battery the lights worked but when i wanted to use the appliance sockets i got nothing. Not a problem for reading but a real problem when wanting to use my electric razor. I now have a miami vice like beard and no one wants to see crockett at church.
fish eyed fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 03:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
lights, good. sockets bad

Greetings!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

If the sockets that you are referring to are the 12-volt cigarette lighter type found near the television antenna port and in the bathroom near the mirror; you are likely looking at one of two things a blown fuse - - or in my experience, more likely a socket that is in need of replacement. I was able to find the 12-volt cigarette lighter receptacles at Radio Shack when I needed to replace the two in my Overlander.

If you are referring to the 115-Volt AC receptacles in the coach, you must have shore power for them to be operable or an on-board power inverter (a device that transforms 12-Volt DC to 115-Volt AC) - - not commonly found on a Vintage coach unless added by the owner. If you have shore power connected, and still no power to the receptacles one of the following might be the cause:

1.) Defective or tripped Master Circuit Breaker. (The circuit breaker box is usually in a cabinet in the bathroom on most Vintage coaches).

2.) Defective or tripped individual brakers. Most Vintage coaches have between two and three circuits. One circuit is typically dedicated for air conditioning. In some coaches a second circuit is dedicated for the Univolt power converter. The third circuit is often the main circuit for most of the electrical receptacles as well as the electric function of the refrigerator.

3.) A bad system ground, or one or more broken or shorted wires.

Good luck with your electric gremlin!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 03:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Welcome to the forum, Ashville, NC ! !

Your lights work on the 12 volt circuit.

"but when i wanted to use the appliance sockets i got nothing"

I assume you mean from this that you are *not* plugged into 120 house current. Your battery does not automatically 'invert' the 12 to 120 for your appliance sockets (110-120volt).

When you uncoil and plug your trailer into AC current, the appliances should be 'cooking'.

This is to suggest the simple answer. Perhaps I missed something in your post....

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 03:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Smile

I see Overlander jumped in first
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 05:57 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

great advice for miami vice

thank you both very much. i did not realize that the 12 volt battery did not convert to 120 volt. I will plug the tralier in and see how it goes. My next step in the restoration process is to take my trailer 250 miles or so to a dealer and make sure all the critical elements function. My initial reaction was to begin on the inside, but i realized i did not want to bye the 15 year old kid down the block with the cherry mustang and a blown engine.
fish eyed fool is offline   Reply With Quote