Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2019, 12:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
cary , North Carolina
Lightning

lightning struck a tree 20 feet from our 30serenity
we are hooked to shore power i have one of those surge protectors installed. we have dual solars factory installed It blew a circuit breaker for the converter which i replaced. using shore power everything in the trailer works. except the i better panel now shows voltage between 100. and 80 and periodically the red lightening showing the solar is charging

i can’t get the trailer to mechanics til 8/19 any ideas as to the malady
gbradleync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok a few clarifications:

Did the breaker blow out and need to be replaced or did it trip and need to be reset?

Assuming the "i better panel" is the solar charge display panel ... it obviously has issues. One thing to do is to reset it. That is done by pulling it out of the wall and unplugging the cable that goes to it and then plugging it back in.

If you don't already have a multimeter, now is a good time to get one. If you do, check a few things:

1) Make sure the converter actually is working ( voltage on the battery goes up when shore power is attached).

2) Make sure the battery voltage is somewhere near rational ( like 12.6V or more).

I would then go through and make sure everything works ok. This includes the TV, the microwave, the water pump, the AC, water heater, fridge, and everything else that works on electricity.

Lightning is a bit weird and you never really know what it may have done ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I often have to reboot the solar control panel. Remove, unplug, replug and install. As noted earlier.

Check out what is working as mentioned. When my surge protector was fried it was a nearby strike. Check the pretecter too.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote