Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2002, 08:09 PM   #1

left back-up tail light

The wire to the center electrode has broken off inside the socket, below the spring and insulator. How do we remove the socket in order to make the repair? We have the 1973 AS repair manual, but it doesn't seem to deal with this problem.
Margo Schock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 07:19 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Back up Socket

Margo, easy to fix [by way of A/S standards]! I repaired mine on a 71' Int with the rectangular lights. Napa will have a replacement socket w/wire. Drill out the two rivets that hold that bowl shaped light housing in place. The socket is mounted in that bowl. You will have to grind off the old socket if it is not reuseable and solder on the new one! Pull out the remaining wire from the trailer,carefully, there is a pull- apart connector. Take it apart. String the new wire that came with the new socket thru the old socket. Don't forget the spring! Solder the new wire to the connector wire,tape it and reconnect. OR, if you can, try soldering the old wire back on to the contact button and forget the new socket. [Don't contact the spring] Put the whole assembly back with rivets. USE BULB GREASE ON THE BULB AND THE CONNECTOR. [I had to replace the socket] LOL
Tom
Old 12-14-2002, 08:16 PM   #3

Re: left back-up tail light

Quote:
Originally posted by Margo Schock
The wire to the center electrode has broken off inside the socket, below the spring and insulator. How do we remove the socket in order to make the repair? We have the 1973 AS repair manual, but it doesn't seem to deal with this problem.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:29 PM   #4

Tom - thanks for your prompt reply to my tail-light dilema - do you have an opinion on a rivet gun? I don't own one, and would like to know if there are some better than others. Thanks! Margo
Old 12-16-2002, 09:16 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Back up lite

Margo, I assume that we are talking about a rectangular frame with one reflector, a back up and a S/D lite ? Same as my trailer.
I purchased my rivet gun from a JC Whitney Cat. years ago. Can't say that I know of better ones. Try Walmart or HD. Walmart has a good selection of rivets in a pkg. There rivet gun looks OK also. Anyone know of a better one? As per my instructions you may try to take that cut wire and thread it back out and reattach it back to the contact button??? Tom
Old 12-16-2002, 09:24 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Screw the rivets

Just a suggestion but The rivets had to be drilled out to begin with right?

I did the exact same project but rather than riveting the assembly back together I used stainless steel screws.
You can alsways reverse a screw but you have to drill out and replace a rivet. The holes are behind the lenses and the rear of the light socket is Steel.

No extra tools required for screws, just good old screwstick. A rivet requires Drill, pop rivet gun, drill bit and finesse.

I use screws anytime that I can. the only place that I use rivets is where they are cosmetic or if I have concerns of Galvanic reaction. Galvanic reaction is a relatively slow process.

Just a suggestion,

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 12:52 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Back up light repair

Smily, good advise.... Did the same. even taped them....but I had trouble lining them up again. So the I said screw it...... and ended up riveting anyway {Pssst. ...don't tell anyone} Tom