Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2005, 05:48 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
59Toaster, I'm a very visual kind of guy. Can you shoot a shot of the inside assembly "reflector" for me? Without the lens on? I'd like to see the orientation of the socket as well as depth.
So far my idea is to make a PCB board populated with high intensity LED's and then to have standoffs on the corners as well as "wings" from each corner out to the screw holes.
Each unit would have a bulb type base on the end of the wire pigtail that could be used by those who do not wish to splice wires. But also with enough wire to allow you to direct connect.
We'll end up with a more passive product that will be held in place by the lens screws.
The board will also have resistors to fool the signal stat into believing that all is well. Some of the LED products give such a low draw that the signal stat goes into default "bulb out" mode and does the rapid flash.
More as it develops.
My guy is coming back from China in about two weeks and I hope he'll have some samples with him or on the way shortly.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:26 AM   #42
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Bargman99

If Eric doesn't mind, I will jump in here and save him the time to take pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barg99 001.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	15929   Click image for larger version

Name:	taillightBarg99 002.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	15930  

Name:	taillightBarg99 004.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	15932   Click image for larger version

Name:	taillightBarg99 006.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	15933  

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:45 AM   #43
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
SignalStat 36ST

Here are some picture of the Signal Stat fixture. These were used in the 1960's.

I'm thinking about mounting these outboard of the Bargman 99's, to really light up the back of my Tradewind.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SigStat36ST 001.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	15934   Click image for larger version

Name:	SigStat36ST 004.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	15935  

Name:	SigStat36ST 005.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	15936   Click image for larger version

Name:	SigStat36ST 008.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	15937  

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #44
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
LED Conversions:

A friend of mine online has sent me these sources for LEDs. Some look promising. http://www.superbrightleds.com, http://www.surplusled.com/Merchant2/...n=PROD&Product http://www.led.net/datasheets/auto_index.htmindex.htm

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:49 AM   #45
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
LED Conversions:

Two of the address's in the last post won't work. I tried to correct them and I kept getting fatal errors so just shorten them up and they will work. Sorry about that.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:01 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Mark, thanks very much for sheding light on the subject. The wedding cake vintage doesn't look like much trouble. The 66 version looks o.k. as well. Lots to think about in trying to make one retrofit for most units.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-01-2005, 01:14 PM   #47
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
i'm going to sponge off this thread, too. i need to come up with something for my trailer as well (it's got no lights now). i really like the look of the older bargmans with the trim ring. guess i need to order some parts to see what exactly will fit where. if i went witht he 99s instead, what's involved in making the reflectors? just a coffee can lid? that seems too easy!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:05 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
The board will also have resistors to fool the signal stat into believing that all is well. Some of the LED products give such a low draw that the signal stat goes into default "bulb out" mode and does the rapid flash.
More as it develops.
My guy is coming back from China in about two weeks and I hope he'll have some samples with him or on the way shortly.
Make the resistor an option please. It defeats one of the gains of a LED...LESS current draw.

While it might be needed for a MH I don't need it for my tow rig. I run a HD electronic flasher that doesn't care about load to deal with the trailer changing the load. My goal is not only the brighter light its less current draw.

I see in my absence some great photos of the 99 lenses was posted.

As you can see the sockets would have to be removed to give the room needed. Other then that a flat panel about 3.5inches in diameter with some 1/4 inch legs to hold it off the metal reflector.

The old coaches like our 59's are wired very funny. The small bulb is the parking light. The low filament on the 1157 was the brake light and the high was turn signal. Yes you read the right, I didn't stutter. I have the original wire diagrams that came with out coach for setting up the tow vehicle. Seems back in the day they would run a "Brake lite wire" off the KH brake controller. Thats how they found a circuit.

I just finished rewiring my coach and wired it to todays normal set up. The small like and the low filament is parking and the high is now turn.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:53 PM   #49

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just got a call from my dealer (Bill Thomas Camper Sales), that my trailer is ready to pickup after finishing some warranty work. I ordered the LED tail lights and told them they could install them if the labor wasn't over a 1/2 an hour's charge. As it ended up they hadn't done a conversion yet and wanted to do it themselves. So while they said it took a little more than a half hour's time, they honored my request and charged me a half hour's labor which works out to be about $12 a light. They said the before and after was dramatic (as other pictures in this thread show), and they were quite excited that the process went so well, along with the associated results. If I can spring free of work I might try to get up there Saturday and pick up the trailer. I glad they ended up doing the installation so I didn't have to deal with trying to get this done on a cold weekend.

Maybe I'll add a dimmer switch so I don't blind you guys at Moraine View next June....

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:52 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
59Toaster, I see your point. Will consider all the options.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-07-2005, 05:01 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

LED DIY Install Question

"have to pull hard to get the old unit wire slack needed to connect the LED replacement units".... I checked and the outside wires did pull w/o much difficulty. BUT, those inside unit wires are really tight.

Iam concerned about pulling too hard.

Any experiences here would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Dave s.
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:29 AM   #52
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
No worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesamuelso
"have to pull hard to get the old unit wire slack needed to connect the LED replacement units".... I checked and the outside wires did pull w/o much difficulty. BUT, those inside unit wires are really tight.

Iam concerned about pulling too hard.

Any experiences here would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Dave s.
Don't worry. They pull hard because the opnenings for the wires were caulked from the inside of the trailer after the taillights were installed. There is a variable amount of caulking at the four openings and some do pull pretty hard. The worst that might happen is to break the old bulb unit while pulling out on it. The wires are strong enough to take a lot of strain. The wires will either pull through the caulking or the caulking will pop out of the hole like a cork (all of mine did).

When installing the new boards, you can put a piece of tubing on the end of a caulking gun cartridge and reach in to caulk the opening with the new board held almost in place. This prevents having a lot of excess wire stuffed behind the new LED board.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info...

dave
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #54

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We had a transplant!

Just picked up the trailer yesterday afternoon. Here's a few pics of the after. My trailer was the first the dealer had done. They told me that while they were putting in mine, some customers there for service saw the results and asked for the same. So they've done another two since then and have now set up a before and after display on their Airstream bar in the showroom. Looks like they will be selling a lot of these.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010210.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	16225   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010211.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	16226  

Name:	P1010213.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	16227  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:00 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vernon , British Columbia
LED Lights

John what kind of caulking did you use in the replacement? Ordered a set through C & G Trailer, much cheaper than in Canada, even with the exchange rate. Friends are bringing them to Palm Springs for us next weekend,just got here on Thursday. Much better weather than up North.

Ron
ronpovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:39 PM   #56
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpovey
John what kind of caulking did you use in the replacement? Ordered a set through C & G Trailer, much cheaper than in Canada, even with the exchange rate. Friends are bringing them to Palm Springs for us next weekend,just got here on Thursday. Much better weather than up North.

Ron
I just used what was left of a tube of silicone-based caulk I had in the workshop. I know that silicone will not bond well to aluminum, but there is little chance that much water could get in there anyway and I just wanted to seal up the hole reasonably well and insure that the wires would not vibrate while on the road and ultimately short out.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #57
_

. , .
way to go jack

looks good.....it's really hard to show with a photo just how bright these lights are compared to the originals....and after dark it's really something.

i suggested that they make a simple display for the lobby and post it on the factory web site...but i'm sure they get lots of suggestions....anyway it's a sure way to show folks...and sell replacements......as your dealer will find.

here's another item that i'm planning to add to the back of the truck. it could also be used on a van and for older trailers could be wired into the brake lights and mounted below the bumper on the drawer lip, or higher at the belt trim....

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...t=led%20lights

it would provide the brake light effect and better turn signals too. i followed a truck last week that had this installed and it's very effective. while this link is from jc whitney no doubt other aftermarket vendors carry them too.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:41 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
Glen
I have a 78 Tradewind and 78 sovereign with the triple rear light unit using Monarch 9074 and 9075 lens. Owners manual calls for 1156 bulb for stop and turn, 1157 bulb for tail light, and 1156 for backup
Dimensions of screw holes 3-5/8 center to center, 1-3/8 deep
Would be interested in led's
Paul
1997 34' Classic FK
airstream4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:05 AM   #59
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Just a note for those who have the fiber optic taillight monitor installed on their trailers... The system requires a bulb for the the end of the fiberoptic cable to point at. I would like to have a couple of the LEDs on the back, but I like my taillight monitor, too, so I'll only be doing the two inboard lights when these become available for the 70's trailers.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:45 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Glen, I'm in for a set to convert my 64 Safari Bargman 99's also. I've been pondering the LED conversion to wedding cake lenses for a while, I think you have it. I'm concerned that they mount free and clear of the lense and the lense mounting screws if possible (the weak link in the Bargman 99 lenses)

Any help I can be let me know, I have photos and would "lend a light" if needed.

I'm also intereted in LEDs for the '64 Bargman teardrop running lights and replacement lenses for them.

By the way Mark's new replacement 99 lenses are great!!

Walter
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote