Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Shoreline , Washington
Leaving batteries connected over the winter

Hello, first I apologize as I'm sure this question has been asked and answered a dozen times but I'm wondering what implications are for leaving the batteries hooked up over the winter. My trailer is plugged into AC over the entire winter and I'm wondering if the electrical system will maintain the conditions of the batteries or make them deteriorate? It has the original univolt system.

I searched the forums using many different search strings and couldn't find any direct answers to this question. So here I am...DUH....
Under The Banyan Trees w/Steely Dan
https://www.banyantrees.net
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
StAlphonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Geez, I went to Shoreline High, grew up in Richmond Beach. We have the univolt & plug
into shore power for extended periods; it gets shut-down at night & we use the batteries.
The univolt is a "trickle charger" & has worked well as long as the batteries are exercised.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I leave em hooked up and plug the trailer in once in a while. My current wet cell Interstate Marine battery is about 7 years old and still going strong. If you leave it plugged into AC all the time you may boil your battery with a Univolt. This winter I am going to use a on demand trickle charger.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I leave em hooked up and plug the trailer in once in a while. My current wet cell Interstate Marine battery is about 7 years old and still going strong. If you leave it plugged into AC all the time you may boil your battery with a Univolt. This winter I am going to use a on demand trickle charger.
What? You don't camp during the winter?
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
It depends upon what you have between the grid power and your batteries. Many converters do not provide very good battery maintenance and some even have a float voltage that will cause excessive electrolyte loss in the batteries. The proper float voltage can be rather tricky because it is so temperature dependent.

A good battery maintainer will keep a full charge on the batteries and will also provide electrolyte mixing or desulfation techniques. Examples include the Power Dynamics plus Charge Wizard and WFCO converters and the Battery Minder device. This sulfation prevention activity really helps get a good life from your batteries.

You should also make sure that the battery is disconnected from everything except the maintenance device. The control boards and alarms in your trailer don't need to be kept alive when in storage and they can drain a battery if the electricity goes off.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
If you do decide to remove the battery and plan to visit the trailer with power on, use plastic bags and cap and stow the battery cable ends.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Mine are never out. The previous batteries were dry almost every time I checked them. I didn't know whether to blame the Univolt or the solar set-up, but it was a pain. The batteries finally failed completely three years ago and I replaced them with a pair from Sam's Club. No problems since then. I am more regular with my checks (put it on my PDA). Today was the day to check them and they hadn't lost any water at all.

Gene
Old 10-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I put in new deep cycle batteries this spring. Its plugged in all the time to keep the fridge goin and the batteries charged. I check batteries at the first of every month without fail. I keep distilled water handy at all times Always use distilled water because its devoid of minerals which can mess up a battery.So far so good
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote